Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:02:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686650
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: EM4 orcs, painted and reviewed.  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Jorny

• Bookworm
  • Space Age Romantic
    • Geek And Garden
EM4 orcs, painted and reviewed.
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:09:26 PM »

I painted up two of the Em4 plastic orcs, and they turned out better than I thought they would. I also posted a review at my blog that might be a bit disproportional, if you consider the length of the review to the price of the miniature.  ;)

I am somehow surprised how well these guys turned out, even though my matt varnish didn't dry matt on them for some reason!

http://geekandgarden.wordpress.com/2014/10/26/dirt-cheap-em4-plastic-orcs/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:28:51 AM by Jorny »

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: EM4 orcs, painted and reviewed.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »
Wow, they turned out great! And yeah they paint up easily.. The first mini's I ever painted were EM4 orcs, and they're still among the mini's the best I ever painted.
(could be that I've never improved my paintingskills...) ;D
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:28:20 AM »
Ye olde Nick Lund Grenadier Orcs - in my mind still amongst the best Orc minis ever produced. You need to add the archer? As a matter of interest what matt varnish did you use?

Offline Zoggin-eck

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »
Ye olde Nick Lund Grenadier Orcs - in my mind still amongst the best Orc minis ever produced. You need to add the archer? As a matter of interest what matt varnish did you use?

Hasn't it been suggested that these weren't actually Nick Lund models? Rather, made to look like the range?

Offline Jorny

• Bookworm
  • Space Age Romantic
    • Geek And Garden
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:08:30 AM »
Hasn't it been suggested that these weren't actually Nick Lund models? Rather, made to look like the range?

The Grenadier Catalogue says Marc Copplestone, so Copplestone in the style of Lund.

Offline Jorny

• Bookworm
  • Space Age Romantic
    • Geek And Garden
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »

I just missed adding the archer to the shopping cart when I ordered. I don't know if I can be bothered to get it later. The varnish was the brush on Anti-Shine from Army painter, which usually works great. For some reason it didn't this time. It might be that I put it on my wet palette instead on a dry one as I usually do before applying. But I am not sure about this.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 08:58:27 PM »
Well Marc Copplestone then - certainly these minis were included in the Grenadier Fantasy Warriors box rule set and accompany the Nick Lund Orcs perfectly.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:02:19 PM by Golgotha »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 11:41:28 AM »
The Old Plastic Meanies painted up WONDERFULLY...a little attention to their bases would finish them off in FINE fashion. With or without that attention, GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 10:04:29 PM »
Nice review.  Good Cheap Orcs.  Not necessarily of a quality that I'd use for skirmish games, but great for big units in big games.

Note that the holes on the back and some of the elbows are good places to attach the plastic sheilds that EM4 sells for these figures.

I painted up a unit of their dwarves and was quite impressed, but they got sold on as I didn't end up building a Dwarf army.  You can see my review here:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-rank-of-dwarves-for-450.html

Offline Jorny

• Bookworm
  • Space Age Romantic
    • Geek And Garden
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
The Old Plastic Meanies painted up WONDERFULLY...a little attention to their bases would finish them off in FINE fashion. With or without that attention, GREAT WORK!

Thanks! I usually don't base miniatures until I know how I will use them. I am thinking of just sticking these guys on warhammer bases, but I haven't made my mind up yet.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »
Thanks! I usually don't base miniatures until I know how I will use them. I am thinking of just sticking these guys on warhammer bases, but I haven't made my mind up yet.

I think the only reason I base my minis prior to painting them is that I am SO sloppy with scenicing material...& I do wind up rebasing a lot of minis anyway.