Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mochkirch - a SYW dawn attack scenario  (Read 8968 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mochkirch - a SYW dawn attack scenario
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 11:06:02 PM »
Fuzzy, it's a Hainsworth billiard table baize which has been paint sprayed.

It is an expensive way to go (I managed to get my cloth free) new. You might get a second or perhaps an old one from a refurbished table. New, for 4m length, you are looking at £600+. Then you have to add the paint, I used about 20 tins on my 7m length.

It is gorgeous though.  I've seen cheaper baize online, but what is it about this stuff, the weight?  Also do you use it fuzzy side up or playing side up?  Brilliant work in the table, buildings and figures
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 11:46:23 PM »
Still amazed at the cloth table.  What paint scheme did you use on it?  And are you putting on a game at any shows anytime soon so I can come and have a 'fondle'  lol.....

I'll be at the York show in February if your there.

Thanks

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 12:01:50 AM »
Still amazed at the cloth table.  What paint scheme did you use on it?  And are you putting on a game at any shows anytime soon so I can come and have a 'fondle'  lol.....

I'll be at the York show in February if your there.

Thanks

Ignore the paint query. Have just discovered the joys of your blog. Brilliant stuff!

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 07:26:04 AM »
The advantage of baize cloth over felt is that baize is a tightly woven cloth rather than compressed together. It is therefore much thinner and goes over lumps (hills) better - even quite big lumps. Because the cloth is high quality (95% Merino wool) when you come to remove the lumps, even after a few weeks, the cloth goes flat again - it hasn't stretched. I always found that felt stretched, gradually moulding itself to the shape of previous lumps and wasn't able to be a basically flat surface any more - not a massive problem but, I didn't like it.

I use my cloth downside up. It is rougher and appears more 'grassy'. The 'grassyness' is the advantage. The disadvantage is that it probably doesn't hold the paint as well as the other side might (just guessing here) and the cloth needs to be resprayed periodically.

I've used all kinds of 'base terrain' in the past but this is the best all round solution I've found. All I need now is a beige one for desert terrain.