Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hey Dutchies, is there a way to dispute postage tax?  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Hey Dutchies, is there a way to dispute postage tax?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »
The €12,50 is used for several costs:

De inklaringskosten die u betaalt als u een pakket van buiten de EU ontvangt, zijn als volgt opgebouwd:
•De kosten voor het opmaken van de vereiste douaneaangifte.
•Douanerechten, btw en andere invoerheffingen.
•Kosten voor het eventueel aanschrijven van de ontvanger wanneer de inhoud, waarde en gegevens van de zending niet overeenkomen of onvolledig zijn.
•Het vaststellen van product en waarde.
•Opslag- en bewaarkosten.
•Incassokosten.
•Administratieve kosten.

So the amount is not all profit for TNT........

DJ

I've worked in a lot of large organizations, there is simply no way on earth that it costs anyone 12,50 to 'process' this, however it is justified.  One can argue, the tax itself is meant to pay for the processing of the tax...  I'd find it hard to believe that it costs TNT even 6,25.... 
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »
I do sympathise - I remember what an unpleasant surprise it was the first time I got caught for this with the Royal Mail in the UK.

I seem to recall that these fees have come up on here before and someone pointed out then that the courier/post company is effectively acting as your import agent - responsible for collecting and paying the tax etc. I expect that if you were to arrange the purchase via an import agent the fee would be a lot more no matter how small the tax and duties were.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
I do sympathise - I remember what an unpleasant surprise it was the first time I got caught for this with the Royal Mail in the UK.

I seem to recall that these fees have come up on here before and someone pointed out then that the courier/post company is effectively acting as your import agent - responsible for collecting and paying the tax etc. I expect that if you were to arrange the purchase via an import agent the fee would be a lot more no matter how small the tax and duties were.
Of course one can argue that the actual international postage rates, which are not inconsequential, should cover this 'service' as it is not really distinct from traditional postal services.

former user

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »
I think the problem with the tax is (apart from the bizarre handling fees) thet when non US people order from the US, they do not realize that the prices they see in the online shop are before VAT (usually, not always, and it is rarely notified). That means that US customers get charged the VAT on top when paying, whereas the others have the surprise of paying customs tax or VAT (whatever the arrangements between the respective countries).
So as a rule, US online shops should deduct the US-VAT (if they charged it) when selling to non-US-customers, otherwise it is double taxation....
I would always ask about the US-VAT in case it is not notified in the shop.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
These are from Johnny Castings, and I noted, he expressly wrote (non-taxable).  Gotta love that kind of vendor! :D  Oh, and the stuff is just top notch, so it was worth the extra 25...

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 01:56:43 PM »
My mistake - Belgian Postal services are not fully privatised (at the moment) and we have similar fees. I errouneously assumed that Nl Post was also a government organisation.

True, but the private companies like DHL, UPS have to follow the same rules, so here in Belgium, the fee would go in their pockets.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »
the americans don't put the tax on the sticker price in retail. No idea if online it adds the tax to american residents at the checkout.

it does