Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:11:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Start of a 2000AD/Megacity One Project(Biker Chick 16/3/19)  (Read 139861 times)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Re: Start of a 2000AD/Megacity One Project (Board Help Please! 28/10)
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2015, 08:13:09 AM »
Agree with James about angles.

Does this help?

http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=288&art_id=1971

Maybe another lower walkway underneath and some low rise buildings beneath those?

Could you have a building (maybe curved) in that dead corner space under the flyover? Then have the walkway going diagonally across the board.

As beautiful as it is, the problem might be the big footprint of the main tower building.

It's still all gorgeous though!

Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2015, 08:19:51 AM »
What if the main tower internal flooring didn't start until the upper walkway level and had two floors' space of playable table? Perhaps it could be a park,  market,  waste disposal area, etc?

It would mean partially dismantling an otherwise lovely building though  :(
I'd agree with Karl's comment about having a lower walkway too, maybe connected by a maintenance ladder?

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2015, 10:12:27 AM »
Just my two tuppence (and taking into account you're a lot better at this shit than I am Andy  ;)) looking at it objectively, its all a bit angular. As you already mentioned the fact that the pedway and flyover line up with the side of the building doesn't really scream Mega-city to me. I feel that town planning takes a bit of a back seat in 2000ad and they just build stuff where they can fit it.

As Jim has suggested already, setting the flyover off at a jaunty angle will solve some of this. Maybe having it wider at the near side and tailing away near the building? Which brings me onto the next bit...

The other thing that stands out is the building, the supports jutting out of the corners look great, but, it's just too square. And dare I say it... small. Buildings in Mega-city are BIG, bloody big, they house thousands. The one on the board would work as a porch, or entry point, but I think it needs the suggestion that there is something bigger behind it, in my opinion. Maybe adding curve surfaces to either side of the main building joining to the edge of the board would work?

I know it would increase the buildings footprint and I don't know how much it would affect playability, but as I say its just my opinion.

By the way, please don't take any of this as criticism of your work, I be proud to churn out terrain a tenth as good as your output.  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »
You don't need to build stairs, just the stair core (the box that surrounds it), have a look on google images for external, modern stair and lift cores (frosted glazing etc)

You could also give the pedway a jaunty angled branch off going up at a slight angle.

Yes to filling the space but it doesn't need to be with buildings. Large dumpsters, advertising boards, water towers etc.

Now get on with it  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »
I don't think you want to angle things around too much as that will make marrying up to other boards much harder.  I would suggest "the look" of Megacity 1 is in more, more, more!  So more detailing on the building (think neon, think more adverts, thing funny vents and tubes and pipes and fans and stuff) agree with some sort of external turbo lift.  More ground level stuff - an eatery, planters, basic small low level buildings, etc.  The walkways look really good - the cross sections are very fitting. 

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2015, 01:29:23 PM »
I feel that town planning takes a bit of a back seat in 2000ad and they just build stuff where they can fit it.

FWIW, Ezquerra has said a few times that the curved organic look to MC1 architecture is intended to make it look like uncontrolled mushroom growth.  

That idea suits his style too, and its what often gives that crowded, overlapping look in distance shots.  As for representing that in miniature, its difficult.  Multiple levels on the table are a must I think.  Representing this in miniature on a table that can actually be gamed on is a difficult proposition.

My MC1 terrain is still WIP (I have enough buildings to cover a 4 x 4 finished, but I have a lot more that I want to add yet) and far less ambitious that that shown.  Nonetheless, I tend to imagine the tabletop it as being far above ground level, that some of the buildings visible are really just the top or middle of the massive structures shown in the distance in the comics.  Its easy to treat the entire table as the interior of a single block anyway, complete with its own road system.

I think that the white (foamcore?) building in the image could be improved by adding a variation in width on some floor(s), make it wasp-waisted.  It doesnt have to be curved necessarily, just stepped in and out perhaps, like these:

I really like the walkways shown, they look just right to me.  They remind me of a specific piece of Henry Flint art from Total War in fact, but I cant find the image right now.  Ill try to dig it up.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
I think another thing to consider is that at ground level or close-in, things probably look different than in bigger sprawling city shots.

For example:

I'm pretty sure this sort of ad-hoc dangerous-looking makeshift bodgery  can be translated to your board as well, and could be a simple way of adding a more organic look without having to sacrifice the convenience of regularly-shaped buildings. (BTW, I always though aspects of the film "Brazil!" were quite MC1).

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »
How about making the board the top of a megastructure  :D

cheers

James

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #218 on: October 30, 2015, 04:45:12 PM »
It doesn't 'feel' like Megacity One to me! :'(

I think you just need more junk.

Think about adding something roundish to the top of the building like they do with observation decks and restaurants:

chongro tower

Or cut out the side of the square edges and add something more stylish:

And last of all, go to google and take a look at modern hotels, banks and architecture. There are all kinds of combinations of square and rounded architecture to be found there.

Hope that helps some, but you have a great start, don't get discouraged now!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2015, 04:51:34 PM »
Some cracking pictures there! No idea how you are going to fix it but I am sure once it is painted it will look better.
Talking about painting as small update on "Vortstrum"

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2015, 04:54:16 PM »
Love the mini Colin. For some reason I can hear Bender from Futurama with a fake German accent shouting "kiss my shiny metal ass".

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2015, 05:01:54 PM »
How about making the board the top of a megastructure  :D

cheers

James

Spoken like a true megalomaniac!  ;)  :D

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2015, 06:49:48 PM »
The look and feel of MC-1 has never been consistent in the comics.  It all depended on the artist. 
Sometimes clean, other times gritty.  Sometimes short buildings, other times large skyscrapers (almost all of them called "blocks").  Sometimes rounded, sometimes angular.
Pretty much like any major city today.

Whatever works for your vision and skill level, go for it.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »
Whatever works for your vision and skill level, go for it.

That's a dangerous statement. In my experience, Andy's know no bounds!

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2015, 11:43:38 PM »
The look and feel of MC-1 has never been consistent in the comics. 

Not only that, but MC-1 and skirmish gaming operate on two totally different scales.  Much as I loved the 2012 Dredd film's look for MC-1, you aren't going to be able to capture the squalid grandeur of the whole city on your tabletop.  All you're doing is modelling that one or two square blocks of conflict.  I think the vertical aspect to your table and the roads into and out of it are great ways to hint at the larger world outside the table without cluttering up the game area with lots of unusable terrain features.