Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:11:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Start of a 2000AD/Megacity One Project(Biker Chick 16/3/19)  (Read 139825 times)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Start of a 2000AD/Megacity One Project (Board Help Please! 28/10)
« Reply #240 on: November 01, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
I think you're definitely going in the right direction with those Hoover parts Andy. They look more the Mega city 1 part. I think the problem is square buildings just shout 60's tower block to me.. Blame my upbringing.  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2015, 08:03:42 AM »

You know, it's really unnerving giving advise to someone at your level of skill and talent, but here goes...

The only issue I see in your first terrain board shot is the building itself. It's just too small compared with everything else around it. I agree that it is too square, but so were the blocks in the recent Dredd movie. You could capture some of the rounded look by using obtuse angled walls on a larger building, with two or more walls per facing. The entryway barriers at the building's base look just right, IE colossal and at odd angles. There are also a number of cut-away sections in the buildings of Mega-City One. A big slice into the side of a building would give it that weird shape we've come to expect. You could also look at Futurama for simplified drawings of MC-1. You just know Matt Groening has read some Judge Dredd.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #242 on: November 03, 2015, 12:27:58 AM »

So the difference between your gameboard and this photo is that you started with the ground surface and started building your way up, but in the photo there is no ground surface.  There are just more and more highways crossing over each other.  You can do much the same thing with your terrain.  Make a big chunk of your bottom surface a large factory or garden rooftop.  That would help give the impression of a much bigger city not just above, but below the skirmish space, too.  The horizontal limits of your gamespace are arbitrary, so why not make the table an arbitrary limit as well?

This is an idea I've been tinkering with for my new terrain table, and it might work well for you, too:

Those four squares represent the roofs of buildings that I'll be using for infiltration scenarios.  The space between is a ten story fall to the ground.  Now combine my terrain with yours - imagine that instead of four buildings roughly the same number of stories tall, you have one broad highway at the level of that roof, and a couple of overpasses and one even taller building like yours with a broad attached balcony overlooking the shorter buildings?  See where I'm going with that?  You can have just as much gamable space without ever showing the actual ground surface.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2015, 07:29:49 AM »
You know, looking at this thread I'm wanting to change my Akira project...  :?

Maybe just the odd building...  :D

cheers

James

Noooooooo! ;)

I like those Spartan bits, mate.
I had forgotten all anout them.
Reckon I will have to pick a few up at some point.

On another note: Check out the lamp posts on this link (scroll down until you find them):

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/escenorama-sci-fi-line/x/1193149#/

They scream MC-1 to me.
What do you think?

They are not available on their site last I checked but I got some from their Indigogo campaign....eventually (two year wait!).
If you are interested, let me know, as I doubt I will use them all in my sci-fi project.
 ;)

Thanks mate! Pm on its way.

I think you're definitely going in the right direction with those Hoover parts Andy. They look more the Mega city 1 part. I think the problem is square buildings just shout 60's tower block to me.. Blame my upbringing.  ;)

Your probably right. It really isn't the images i remember from MC1. I was hoping with a funky roof on top it might pull it off, but i think the hoover bits will work better. I was hoping for this kinda outcome.....

So the difference between your gameboard and this photo is that you started with the ground surface and started building your way up, but in the photo there is no ground surface.  There are just more and more highways crossing over each other.  You can do much the same thing with your terrain.  Make a big chunk of your bottom surface a large factory or garden rooftop.  That would help give the impression of a much bigger city not just above, but below the skirmish space, too.  The horizontal limits of your gamespace are arbitrary, so why not make the table an arbitrary limit as well?

This is an idea I've been tinkering with for my new terrain table, and it might work well for you, too:

Those four squares represent the roofs of buildings that I'll be using for infiltration scenarios.  The space between is a ten story fall to the ground.  Now combine my terrain with yours - imagine that instead of four buildings roughly the same number of stories tall, you have one broad highway at the level of that roof, and a couple of overpasses and one even taller building like yours with a broad attached balcony overlooking the shorter buildings?  See where I'm going with that?  You can have just as much gamable space without ever showing the actual ground surface.

Thats a good idea. Are you going to have things between your buildings? Walkways and stuff?

I've built a simple wee infill for underneath the highway. I think a few of these around the edges will help add feeling. The sign will be changed for a neon one. It was just so i could use it in a quick gsme last night. I think the window might be changed too, its just not doing it for me.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:12:08 PM by Andym »

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Start of a 2000AD/Megacity One Project (Paint Scheme Test 4/11)
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2015, 07:49:03 AM »
I LOOOOVVEEE it ! The detail, from cardboard boxes to reflection from the neon tubes, wonderful stuff. Consider the ideas nicked (that is 'stolen' to you non Brits). Thank you for sharing.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #245 on: November 04, 2015, 08:15:19 AM »
Brilliant, mate.
I reckon you have captured the feel of MC-1 perfectly with that little snapshot.
 :-* 8) :-*

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #246 on: November 04, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
That looks so awesome  :-*

Can't wait to see the rest of it!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #247 on: November 04, 2015, 09:06:02 AM »
Brilliant - I particularly like the shop window which you want to change!
 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #248 on: November 04, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
WOWIE!! Excellent stuff and great inspiration for my Cyberpunk table (makes a lot of mental notes).
I assume you did the wiring with some kind of brass wiring? It looks so perfect for what I'm looking for.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #249 on: November 04, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
Love the building colours, got just the right feel  8)

Agree about the window. Use google images for shops windows and when you have a suitable one, set it back from the window to give it a bit of depth.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #250 on: November 04, 2015, 11:39:50 AM »
Agree about the window. Use google images for shops windows and when you have a suitable one, set it back from the window to give it a bit of depth.

He is right, ya know?
That would look better.
Maybe a sheet of plastic/perspex in front would give you a quick 'reflecting window' look without having to paint it too.
Blister pack or similar should work.
 ;)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »
Looking very good Andy.  8)

Maybe a sheet of plastic/perspex in front would give you a quick 'reflecting window' look without having to paint it too.

That's exactly what I did with some of my Geezers buildings:

Finding a good image is key.  The ones for Arkwrights were just about perfect (stills from the TV show)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:05:50 PM by Overlord »
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #252 on: November 04, 2015, 04:33:46 PM »
Nice work!  It's very effective without overcomplicating the layout. You could also have a low relief edge building as a linkage point for upper walkways.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #253 on: November 04, 2015, 07:19:02 PM »
Thats a good idea. Are you going to have things between your buildings? Walkways and stuff?

Maybe a few pipes or guy wires.  All four are roughly the same height so that you can push them right up next to each other and you get long lines of cover.  For the most part they'll be close enough for figures to jump across, but there will be some risk involved, maybe a chance for a sprained ankle.  The intention is to have them cause an effect analogous to streams and fences at ground level - linear features that slow movement without blocking it entirely and without blocking missile fire.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #254 on: November 04, 2015, 08:19:37 PM »
WOWIE!! Excellent stuff and great inspiration for my Cyberpunk table (makes a lot of mental notes).
I assume you did the wiring with some kind of brass wiring? It looks so perfect for what I'm looking for.

I use solder. You can get it in 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch. I use 1/16th.

Love the building colours, got just the right feel  8)

cheers

James

He is right, ya know?
That would look better.
 ;)

I did use clear plastic on front of the window. It doesn't show up in the photo though. I've now taken it out and spaced it from the plastic. I also felt it needed a window frame.....

I've also finished the proper sign and added a neon robot.
Looking very good Andy.  8)

That's exactly what I did with some of my Geezers buildings:

Finding a good image is key.  The ones for Arkwrights were just about perfect (stills from the TV show)

Thats the biggest problem I've got....finding the right image! ! I've googled 'sci fi shops ', 'robot shops' and 'electronics shops' with no luck! :'(

I'm just hoping the neon signs distract you away from the bad window!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:13:07 PM by Andym »