Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:37:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 556
Total: 556

Recent

Author Topic: Cossack warband in 1/72 scale  (Read 4268 times)

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Cossack warband in 1/72 scale
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:56:33 PM »
Here're some cossacks for my hombrew skirmish game:

And without flash:

My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Johnny Rosbif

• Schoolboy
  • Damn yer eyes!
    • Monsieur le Rosbif & Johnny Frog
Re: Cossack warband in 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 12:41:39 AM »
They're lovely! :-*
What make are they? Zvezda?
"We have in the service the scum of the earth as soldiers" His Grace the Duke of Wellington

Monsieur le Rosbif & Johnny Frog
http://rosbiffrog.blogspot.com.au/

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 01:11:04 AM »
Thank you. No, they're heavily converted polish paholkis from Mars.

Offline morrigan

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
By following your posts I've become interested in a period that I know nothing about, and have no idea about rules or figures for!  :?

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 08:36:20 AM »
Splendid work as always, M.P.!

By following your posts I've become interested in a period that I know nothing about, and have no idea about rules or figures for!  :?

If you want 28s, The Assault Group is probably your best bet for minis. A good variety of Cossacks and other Eastern European types in their Renaissance section. As far as rules, depends on the sort of game you prefer. For large battles, Warlord Games' Pike & Shotte rules should work fine (just tweak the army lists, or use mine). For skirmish type battles, you could probably try Sharpe Practice or Donnybrook with a few adjustments. Or maybe ask for M.P.'s homebrew rules...

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 11:52:04 PM »
@Thaddeu

Thank you :)

@morrigan

as Thaddeu wrote - TAG is the best in terms of historical accuracy in 28 mm scale (nonetheless not really good in general as for accuracy). If you like 20 mm as I do there's no quick and easy solution either - check psr for details :http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=10, http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=14. For now 15 mm scale offers the biggest variety - namely By Fire & Sword range from Wargamer http://www.fireandsword.wargamer.pl/.

As for the rules, Thaddeu made great house rules for P&S. FoGR needs alot of minis so it depends on you budget. As for large skirmish games I'd propose Escalade or Donnybrook, but both would need some rules changes.

If you like swashbuckling games try Flashing Steel from Ganesha Games or again with some house rules Gloire from Rattrap Games.

If you have any questions here's my e-mail: geezerbutler2(at)wp(dot)pl

Regards,
      Tom

Offline morrigan

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »
M.P. and Thaddeu, thank you for your guidance! I really appreciate it.

I've been doing some research on-line over the last few days and came upon the painting "Yermek's Conquest of Siberia" by Surikov https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/asset-viewer/yermak-s-conquest-of-siberia/TQHTi4jZ6YCqFA?hl=en

I was interested in the costumes worn by some of the Tatars, seen at the right firing bows, which reminded me a lot of the dress of the Inuit here in Canada. That led me to read about the various indigenous peoples of Siberia including the Chukchi, who I gather managed to remain fairly independent up to modern times.

The only specific figures that I've found  for the Conquest of Siberia are the Kremlin Miniatures 15mm line now produced by MY Miniatures. http://www.spanglefish.com/mickyarrowminiatures/index.asp?pageid=570954 There also figures in the Ice Age range that might work, including reindeer drawn sledges.

15mm works best for me price wise, and will work with some scenery I already have. I'm tempted by 20mm, but I don't have the sculpting skills that either of you gentlemen possess! Your work is excellent.

I'm thinking more of the skirmish/large skirmish type of game, so I'll take a look at the rules you have suggested. I was even wondering if some of the rules written for the French Indian War in North America might have some potential.

Again, thank you for your help!

Barry
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:30:15 PM by morrigan »

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:48:45 AM »
If you're committed to 15mm, those look like a fair bet.

I've actually given the Siberian Conquest some thought myself, but as a 28mm die-hard I'd probably use Fireforge's Mongol Infantry. And then eventually I'd add in some Qing troops to represent the final phase of the Cossack expansion, using Perry Miniatures' Koreans.

But whatever scale you pick, it's always fun to travel off the beaten path, isn't it?  8)

Offline morrigan

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 12:12:07 PM »
It is fun to do different things, but sometimes having information readily available has a lot to be said for it!

Those Fireforge figures look really useful. You could do great things with them. Go on, you know you want to.......  ;)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »
Would never have thought the Mars minis could look so good fantastic stuff.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:06:28 PM »
Thank you, these are conversions of polish paholki set: