Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:24:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cold War Board  (Read 2856 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Cold War Board
« on: November 01, 2014, 11:50:12 PM »
Sorry but a bloody silly decision. This is not TMP and the Modern board isn't and never has been the sounding board for right wing crackpots like its counterpart on TMP. For starters, LAF is actually moderated and my observation is that is well moderated, impartially, fairly and with rigour when required. That is especially true of the Post War/Modern board. I can't say I've ever seen much in the way of distasteful or even much of anything political/controversial on this forum.

I think the biggest impact will be on manufacturers of modern kit, who have a pretty niche market to start with. So they can still post stuff about new minis, well that's something but let's face it the thing about LAF is that it's focus is on nicely painted minis and after action reports. The sought of eye candy and useful information that I'm sure drives a lot of their sales. I know it has driven them for me and I doubt I'm alone.

As it happens, my principal interests fall before 1989 so this doesn't impact especially heavily on me. That said, I do own some post 1989 armies and I enjoy seeing threads on painted armies AARs etc and I enjoy chipping in on where/ how to and who makes threads.

I noted with concern two recent threads, one on happenings in the Ukraine and one on happenings in the Middle East. I can't say either is my cup of tea but they are still there are still active and from what I can tell have confined themselves to discussion of the bits n bobs. Things don't have to end badly. It comes down to good  moderation, common sense and good will, none of which are in short supply on this forum. Remember there is an existing 'no politics' rule if things get sticky.

As for the legality of discussion about modern conflicts, sorry but that's patently absurd. If on the off chance someone has sought a legal opinion on that, then I respectfully suggest you find someone with a practising certificate they didn't find on the back of a cereal packet. You'll need to nuke the relevant thread if you want to maintain consistency on the topic.

Worth noting that the latest imbroglio on TMP relates to events seventy odd years ago, the attempts of some to recast those events to a modern agenda and the failure of the site owner to act. Shall we move the WW2 forum on LAF  for good measure? Whilst we are at it let's can anything about colonial struggles and post colonial struggles cos they might cause eyebrows to be raised.

Here's an alternate suggestion. If folk are still bleeding in a given conflict, ie it's an ongoing affair the draw the line there. Not some arbitrary point in the past.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:54:54 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
Re: Cold War Board
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:13:31 AM »
I concur.

What happens to discussion about more up-to-date miniatures ranges once the bar is set at 89?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 12:16:44 AM »
It would've been nice to be given some heads up - this seems to have happened without forewarning. I agree the two threads that probably triggered these were on the edge, but I believe how they were handled shows LAF can deal with it sensibly.

I like carlos marighela's suggestion - cut the line at current conflict.

But I will respect any decision - LAF is not my forum and is in based a country that has different laws and psyche to my own.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:04:37 AM by von Lucky »
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:51:39 AM »
I have to say I'm disappointed and agree with many of Carlos' points. I understand that there will have been complaints over the two "offending"  threads as they are too close to home for some but I was impressed with the way they stuck to equipment and organisation (other than one thoughtless comment that was addressed by a single line comment that probably reflected the views of most ).

What happens to modern and near future what ifs and imagi-nations? What happens to the Empress Miniatures modern stuff and the Spectre Miniatures modern Africa stuff? It sounds like product posts will be allowed in the Commercial section but no AARs or similar will be. I assume painting issues can be addressed under Workbench?

As Von Lucky states I'll abide by the rules as it's a privilege to be a member of this forum not a right but this seems overly restrictive. Of course, the umpire's decision is final and I accept that.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:11:01 AM »
I'm sorry, but where can I find the Reason for the Renaming? I was a Little bit unhappy with the Name, because it was quiet simular to postapo... So I often Choose the wrong Board.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »
The reasons for the change have been outlined in the information topic.

Also, we decided to give one week's notice - we discussed fully locking it down or performing the change instantly. Furthermore, old post-89 threads will not be purged but kept, albeit in locked state, similar to the previous Open Talk change.

As pointed out, we received numerous reasonable complaints over recent topics, and in combination with the additional legal implications regarding ISIS, we made the decision to do a clean cut after the nominal end of the Cold War rather than getting the same drawn-out "abuse of moderator powers" mud-slinging everytime we make a ruling.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, and we appreciate that this will make some people unhappy. But we will not entertain further discussion on the subject.

Topic locked.