Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:49:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690537
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Assembling a Robotech Tactics Destroid.  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Assembling a Robotech Tactics Destroid.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 12:36:35 AM »
If they hadn't fleshed out the entire Macross range I'd be awfully angry at the scale (being neither 1/285th proper, nor 1/200...but some kind of 1/240 weird scale).  Confirming that they don't really fit well at all with CBT stuff (which is honestly even a bit smaller than 1/285th if I'm honest) means I may well forget about trying to do a 3025/3050 Battletech project.

I had picked up three of the new BT boxes and was hoping to add some lovely unseen goodness so I could do Battletech as a side project.  Now, that likely won't happen.  Shame really.

These kits don't look too promising, but having dealt with the supremely mediocre 1/200 scale old plastic kits from the 80's I'm sure I can power through it.  Since I'm leaving for 10 weeks in a few days there is a very good chance my stuff will arrive while I'm gone (I'll have family pick it up).  So you won't see any reviews from me for a while. :?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline TheDaR

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 04:12:01 AM »
Mine still haven't shown up.  Hopefully in the next two weeks.

Having seen some finished versions from early receivers, I'm a little less disappointed than the initial reports had made it out.   They're not fantastic models, but they are at least acceptable.

Most of the people who are most disappointed seemed to either be nostalgia modellers who thought they were getting Bandai Master Grade Models (these are not that detailed) or people thinking this was something like SDE with game pieces they could assemble in a few minutes (these are more detailed than that).

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »
I have no real issue with the kits other than they're way too many pieces for the size.  I think Palladium could have done better selecting a business partner to make the sculpts (Wargames Factory etc.).  Then again, Palladium is not known for its business sense.

I am waiting on four starter kits, so the quality will determine how many I keep or how many I sell off etc.  Since Robotech is such a love of mine, I think I'll work as best I can with them.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 07:21:20 AM »
I guess I am the only one actually gets exited by the prospect of building a multi part plastic model. Ressin and tin sometimes get a bit fidly but I love large plastic building sets. And if I end up with something I can use for wargaming all the better.  lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »
I don't mind models...but at this scale they better be spot-on (see new Bandai kits which are amazing).  There is nothing worse than a mediocre small model kit.  Becomes a heap of trouble.  lol

Oddly, if these had been actual 1/285th scale they could have gotten away with making each one a 3-5 piece miniature instead of a full model. 

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 11:00:51 AM »
Still waiting for mine to arrive. I kind of lost interest 6 months down the line (when they "should" have been delivered!).
Oh my, exactly my thoughts...  :(
Still waiting for mine (as Mars Attacks, as AvP etc etc ).
And the models look very bad and toylike (in a bad way) ...  :-I

I should be more cautious with KS in the future.  ;)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
The Battletech "unseen" aren't consistent in scale.
The Robotech miniatures are 1/285.

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
I don't want to give the impression that I hate these models or expected them to be Fine Molds or Bandai quality. It's just that even for being multi-part kits they don't really have a lot of options for posing, the joints are frustratingly minimal, the attachment points seem randomly determined (one connection will have a ball and socket, one a peg, one nothing), and there are parts on the sprues that can't be removed without destroying them.

I am completely impressed that Palladium and Ninja Division have managed to get as many models created as they have. This has been a massive undertaking and for the most part they've delivered. Like I said on my blog I'm more interested in how to best build these kits and game with them.
"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure."

-- Winston Churchill

Visit Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine! http://roebeast.blogspot.com/
And RSquared Studios: www.rsquaredcomics.com

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »
The Battletech "unseen" aren't consistent in scale.

That's true!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 05:45:11 PM »
Mine still haven't shown up.  Hopefully in the next two weeks.

Having seen some finished versions from early receivers, I'm a little less disappointed than the initial reports had made it out.   They're not fantastic models, but they are at least acceptable.

Most of the people who are most disappointed seemed to either be nostalgia modellers who thought they were getting Bandai Master Grade Models (these are not that detailed) or people thinking this was something like SDE with game pieces they could assemble in a few minutes (these are more detailed than that).

Received mine in the first wave of shipping, and it's still sitting in the corner of the room.  They are not awful models, not the best.  Between the delays and the piece count I just feel totally de-motivated to assemble them.  Hopefully seeing some nice assembled pics over the next month will break me out of that funk.