Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Egyptian Miniatures Indiegogo is live  (Read 12608 times)

Offline Samnite308

• Librarian
Egyptian Miniatures Indiegogo is live
« on: November 03, 2014, 12:13:59 AM »
Dark Fable Miniatures has launched its latest Indiegogo campaign featuring 12 new sets of 28mm Egyptian themed miniatures  :o

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/egyptian-miniatures-iv/x/1952662

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: Egyptian Miniatures Indiegogo is live
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:38:21 AM »
Yay! Needless to say I'll be backing this as it adds important characters to that Harem Intrigue game I proposed in the Spring.  :)

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 03:08:41 AM »
I may have to back this one...

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:05:59 AM »
I backed the others and will be in for this one as well.  If only I could paint fast enough to keep up with the Kickstarters.  Any that are on the fence about these, get off!   They are beautiful in the flesh and nicely priced too. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »
Given that they appear to be all Palace people, are there any matching peasants, general population figures that anyone can recommend and do they fit with the old Foundry Egyptians or are they larger?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
They are great figures and I will be getting them all again but not till next month
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 02:40:37 PM »
Beautiful stuff! Think I finally may have found a use for these other than just admiring
them :-)

Just to confirm: end date is Dec 14th not Nov 14th? You originally mentioned it would be November, but December is actually much more doable for me financially, so this is good!

Steve
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:57:01 PM by axabrax »

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 01:23:37 AM »
Given that they appear to be all Palace people, are there any matching peasants, general population figures that anyone can recommend and do they fit with the old Foundry Egyptians or are they larger?

The Foundry Egyptians are one of the old Perry lines and are smaller like the rest of their older stuff. Too small? I'm not sure, I've never done a size comparison between the troops. I would use the civilian types in the same market or palace scene without pause.

For other civilian types, Black Tree does civilians for many of their ranges. They may have biblical figures as well. Foundry has some Egyptian priest sets that they released recently that are larger figures than the old Perry-sculpted ranges.

Offline Samnite308

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
Well we are nearly at the campaign goal of 3k and the first stretch goal reward - so things are moving along at a nice rate  :D  The campaign started 2 November and is due to run till the 14 December (42 days in all).

I will eventually be adding some sets of villagers - peasants, labourers, slaves, merchants and common folk.  I wish I could do it all at once but it is very much a matter of funds and time available.  I also think that when I do make common folk I will be using T's so that a number of variants could be made at a much cheaper price than commissioning a new miniature each time.

As Barnaby has stated the old Foundry Egyptians by the Perry's are a bit smaller but I still use them with my Dark Fable miniatures as they make a nice mix.  the BTD Egyptian family is standard 28mm.  There were also a number of Egyptian civilian figures made by RavensForge for their Children of the Nile range - which included merchants, scribes, thieves, priests and some royals.  The castings are not the highest quality but they are interesting - you might find some on Ebay.

Thanks for all the support with the Indiegogo - I'm hoping we unlock a lot of the stretch goal rewards and I will be posting pictures of the sets as Paul Sanderson paints them up.

Offline chirine ba kal

• Bookworm
    • chirine's workbench
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 03:20:49 PM »
Wonderful! The Missus will be sending you our contribution - we're going to go with the 'Lion of Egypt', Level Seven. I am really looking forward to these new figures; all of your offerings have been wonderful!

Did you know that Ancient Egypt was a particular favorite of Prof. M. A. R. Barker, the creator of Tekumel? He would have loved these, and back all of your campaigns to the hilt. I use your figures as all of the 'palace' folk in my Tekumel campaigns, along with all of the troopers, personalities, and non-humans from The Tekumel Project. You figures also work quite well alongside the Old Guard Tekumel figures that I've had for years - they look fine, next to each other.

I have a set of all of the RavensForge "Children of the Nile" line, and while they are all right, your figures look very, very nice - thank you for doing them!

And Sacred Crocodiles - you never have enough of them, really, to deal with those pesky adventurers! :)

- chirine

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »
Awesome! Congratulations! Ill be pitching in next payday for sure.

How do the figs scale with Crocodile Games' Aegyptus stuff?

Steve

Offline chirine ba kal

• Bookworm
    • chirine's workbench
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
Awesome! Congratulations! Ill be pitching in next payday for sure.

How do the figs scale with Crocodile Games' Aegyptus stuff?

Steve

The 'Wargods' figures are 'heroic 28mm', and are usually a little taller and chunkier-looking then these figures; on the other hand, the 'Wargods' figures are supposed to be hale and hearty warriors in the prime of life, while the Dark Fable figures are 'palace people' and some are explictly intended to be much younger. Set next to each other, the Dark Fable figures are visually smaller then the 'Wargods' ones, but in normal game play where there's going to be some visual seperation between them I don't think it would be all that noticeable.

Interestingly, they look bigger then my vintage Tom Meier Ancient Egyptians, which are true 25mm figures. They also look slimmer then the Old Guard New Kingdom figures I have.

I will try and shoot some photos for you, and see if I can learn how to post them here for you...

- chirine

Offline Samnite308

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
That's great to hear you will be returning Chirine - hopefully the sets will all prove useful for your Tekumel setting.  I recently viewed a few pictures on the Workbench in which you used some of the Dark Fable concubines as part of some notables entourage - travelling on large lizards?  I was aware that Prof Barker did have an interest in Ancient Egypt - I'm sure with a world setting as rich and in depth as Tekumel he drew on a number of cultures and civilisations as influences for his own peoples and nations.  I am very intrigued by some of the uniforms of the Tekumel warriors, at first they seem like Aztecs or Incas and the next they seem quite Asian.  Ive been meaning to ask you for a small blurb about the Chirine's Workbench as I wanted to add your site and Mr Fielding's Tekumel project to the links page on the Dark Fable website.  I think your games and the history of your campaign not to mention your close connection with Prof. M.A.R. Barker would be fascinating for many gamers to read.

Axabrax I will try to find two images I have which show the Dark Fable Egyptians compared to Foundry, Crocodile games and Black Tree design Egyptians.  Most are quite compatible scale wise I think.  But even within the Dark Fable range there are some slight variations between sculptors, But I try to keep this to a minimum by providing them with scale references.  Just received some master castings in the post today and thought I would show a picture of the Senet Game set - always liked the idea of a game within a game which allowed players to gamble or even barter for information.  I think David Soderquist really did a brilliant job on this little vignette.  The girls are separate from their stools and could be used in other settings and the games table is made from three pieces.

Offline chirine ba kal

• Bookworm
    • chirine's workbench
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »
That's great to hear you will be returning Chirine - hopefully the sets will all prove useful for your Tekumel setting.  I recently viewed a few pictures on the Workbench in which you used some of the Dark Fable concubines as part of some notables entourage - travelling on large lizards?  I was aware that Prof Barker did have an interest in Ancient Egypt - I'm sure with a world setting as rich and in depth as Tekumel he drew on a number of cultures and civilisations as influences for his own peoples and nations.  I am very intrigued by some of the uniforms of the Tekumel warriors, at first they seem like Aztecs or Incas and the next they seem quite Asian.  Ive been meaning to ask you for a small blurb about the Chirine's Workbench as I wanted to add your site and Mr Fielding's Tekumel project to the links page on the Dark Fable website.  I think your games and the history of your campaign not to mention your close connection with Prof. M.A.R. Barker would be fascinating for many gamers to read.

I will indeed return - The Missus, who is the smart one in the family, will be sending you our treasure as soon as she can - she's a little under the weather, right now.

Yes, all of the sets - both old and new! - are very useful for my Tekumel-based games. They are all of the 'palace people' that we've wanted to have for years. I started gaming with the Professor in 1976, and our games were always a blend of miniatures and role-playing. My job was to come up with the figures for all of us in the game - the 'custom of the house' was that every new player got a personalized 'personality figure' to represent themselves on the table as needed. We were always very short of 'civilian' figures - back in Ye Olden Dayes, very few ranges of both historical or fantasy figures had useful miniatures of servants, palanquins, heralds, major-domos, and all the other requisites of Gracious Living on Tekumel. We did a lot of what could be called 'skirmish gaming', where we would have to chase somebody through a palace or market place, dodging the servants and merchants; it got very exciting, very quickly, and were some of the very best game sessions we ever had.

The Professor drew quite a few inspirations from his time in Meso-America and South Asia, and also from his deep love of Ancient Egypt. He was an authority on the language, and was consulted by many excavators like Dr. Otto Schaden. He had a wonderful miniature New Kingdom army, complete with hand-carved statues of the gods and all of the correct inscriptions on everything. One of his favorite movies was "Cleopatra", with Claudette Colbert in the title role, nd he would have loved your figures - and I would have had to paint them up for him! :) Howard Fielding and The Tekumel Project are doing a wonderful job of bringing the Professor's vision of what his world looked like to life - his figures are very accurate, very well-done, and a joy to paint. So are yours!

Thank you for your kind words about my little blog! My hope is to be able to tell people about Tekumel, and all of the fun and excitement we had - and still do have - there. The game photos you saw that had the big dragons with howdahs were from last year's holiday game; I get two four-day weekends for the holidays, and I try to do something special. In this case, it was some of the old Bill Murray 'Sro' dragons carrying my miniature alter ego and his extended family on a safari - they wanted something different for a vacation, you see... :) I had a lot of fun painting up your figures as the family and the courtiers, and I thought that they looked very good in the role.

I will e-mail you some sort of blurb, and thank you for your wanting to link to the Workbench. I should have that for you later today, with a little luck.

Question for the forum moderators - may I post a link to my blog here? I don't want to step on any toes... :)

- chirine

Offline chirine ba kal

• Bookworm
    • chirine's workbench
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 01:13:35 PM »
Axabrax I will try to find two images I have which show the Dark Fable Egyptians compared to Foundry, Crocodile games and Black Tree design Egyptians.  Most are quite compatible scale wise I think.  But even within the Dark Fable range there are some slight variations between sculptors, But I try to keep this to a minimum by providing them with scale references.  Just received some master castings in the post today and thought I would show a picture of the Senet Game set - always liked the idea of a game within a game which allowed players to gamble or even barter for information.  I think David Soderquist really did a brilliant job on this little vignette.  The girls are separate from their stools and could be used in other settings and the games table is made from three pieces.

This is a really neat little scene! I can see getting several, one to paint up 'as is' and more for the parts - ladies in palanquins, furniture to be used in melees, you name it. I have a Senet game set, and maybe I should get it out for that 'game in a game' you're taking about! :)

I mean, you know what's about to happen: Two ladies of the court are deep in their game, when Our Heroes will burst through the terrace curtains being chased by the guards. Our Heroes will, being heroes after all, nimbly leap over the game table - but the guards, being the usual 'extras' from Central Casting, will trip over the board sending the game pieces flying. In the confusion, Our Heroes will have enough time to escape and save the Princess from The Dire Peril which she is no doubt in. (Add soundtrack to taste.) :)

- chirine