Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:40:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Where do you order things as GW bases and bits?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline zergui

• Lurker
Where do you order things as GW bases and bits?
« on: November 02, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
I'm looking for GW bases and bits, or alternative ones if they are more or less the same. But preferably GW bases. Thanks!
I used to use www.bitzstore.com now and just to know any bits sites' info that You'd whish to share?

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Where do you order things as GW bases and bits?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 04:42:21 PM »
Hello Zergui. That kind of shop is easy enough to find if you google for 'warhammer bits', but the better ones might depend on where in the world you are, and definitely on how well stocked they are. In the UK I've had good experience with bitzbox, bits and kits, let the dice decide, and a couple of ebay bits sellers.

An alternate type of 20mm and 25mm square, 25x50mm cavalry, and 25mm round slottabases can be found in various UK webshops, but few cheaper than EM4 Miniatures. Larger round bases (30mm+) are a different style, slightly shallower than the GW style bases - 2.5mm tall rather than 3mm tall, if that makes a difference.
Reaper Miniatures seems to sell a different range of slottabases, including larger square bases. To be honest I have trouble figuring out the bases on their webshop, though. At first glance it looks like they sell 2 inch square bases for $10 each. Can't be right... Right?

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
Edit: Looks like Vermis beat me too it. Go EM4! 

For bases, there's really no reason to buy "GW" official bases.  You can get nearly identical bases for much less elsewhere.
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/MINIAATURES_BASES.html I recommend EM4  They have almost the full range of GW equivalent bases, they're shipping rates are affordable and they've always given good service.

As for the difference in thickness between some GW and EM4, it's even less a big deal because GW themselves have provided a couple different thicknesses for their 50mm (2 inch) bases at different times.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 12:42:47 AM by eilif »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 05:37:02 PM »
The only problem with EM4, IMO, is the lack of square or rectangular bases larger than 25mm square or 25x50mm cavalry bases. But then I'm leaning towards Renedra's flat bases anyway, so it's less of a problem for me. :)

GW 60mm round bases started off flat like current Renedras, 'cos they were titan bases for Epic 40K and later Epic: Armageddon, and matched the similarly flat Epic infantry strip bases. I think the taller, slottabase style 60mm round turned up with the current plastic carnifex. (Dreadnoughts had one before that, but it was part of the dread sprue rather than general use. And then there were the even older plastic titans with 'tall' 60mm bases, with peg holes and hit-point wheels like lower-tech clix)

These days, in WHFB at least, it seems like anything larger than ogres (or ogryns) gets it's own specific size of base. Have you seen the bases list on the GW webshop lately? It looks like someone's gone mad with the square tool in MS paint.

Online Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 06:09:29 PM »
The other omission from em4's range - and everyone else's - is the "closed" version of the 25mm round slotta (I with the slot sealed or unopened).  I use them by the bucketload, and so far as I know, GW is the only supplier.  (NB there are some magnetic bases of the same shape and dimensions, but they are solid, not hollow.)
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 08:20:26 PM »
Good point about the closed slotta.  Never bothered me much as I just slapped some plaster over it, but I can see where some folks might not want to do that.

Proxie models has a variety of circle bases in larger size and the pill shaped biker bases.  They also have 25mm rounds with no slot. However, most proxie bases have a shorter profile and rounded edge.  Still, the footprint is right.  Nice and cheap. I've ordered from them several times and always been pleased.

Other options for slotless bases would be
-Ebay where there always seem to be lots available
-Mantic bases which are flat on one side and have a cavity on on the other but have flat sides
-Wargames Factory 25mm bases have no slot, but slight texture on one side. They are flat sided and slightly slimer (2mm vs 3mm) than a GW base.

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »
I am a real fan of 30mm round bases with a lip. Does anyone know where I can get them that dont have a slot? I can fill it in of course but it would make basing figures a lot faster if I didnt have to!

Also is it true that official GW tournements wont let you use figures on nonr GW bases?

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 02:44:59 AM »
I am a real fan of 30mm round bases with a lip. Does anyone know where I can get them that dont have a slot? I can fill it in of course but it would make basing figures a lot faster if I didnt have to!

Also is it true that official GW tournements wont let you use figures on nonr GW bases?

Proxie 30mm rounds don't have a slot, but the rounded lip is much smaller than the PP style.

As long as the base is the same size as the figure was sold with GW doesn't care where the base is from. 

Also, I'm not sure about the UK, but here in the states GW has all but stopped putting on tournaments.  Most tournaments here, and all the largest ones are privately run. Adepticon, for example even allows non-GW models as long as it's clear what the model is representing.