Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Is Lion Rampant really that good?  (Read 13616 times)

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
Re: Is Lion Rampant really that good?
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2014, 10:19:39 PM »
Our game had 36 units about 300 figs in total it played great two players a side controlled three battles and we finished in about 3 1/2 hours of leisurely gaming.and it was our first game after two of us had one read through of the rules!

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
How does it scale up to 150-200 figure aside games?

Cant you just divide the army into several "brigades", with one commander/leader each ?

I just got the rules and have just about read them but I think it could work rule wise.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2014, 10:27:45 PM »
One massive twirling game no doubt.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2014, 05:59:27 PM »
Yes we had three battles or brigades worked fine and Overall commander who had the special powers and could over rule one brigade battle commander

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »
Next time you should post up an AAR with descriptions of what you changed.  :D

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2014, 03:23:35 AM »
Next time you should post up an AAR with descriptions of what you changed.  :D

Second that.  My hope is that with the rules being so streamlined, 3 on 3 games with 3 battailes per side could bring some nice medieval flair while getting more of my buddies involved.
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2014, 07:53:04 AM »
I really like the rules. Simply, elegant and not much fiddling. Works for any period too I think.

Activation is sort of like in Warmaster/Blackpowder/Blitzkrieg Commander.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2014, 10:15:58 AM »
I have expressed doubts about the game, but I do have a "never say never" attitude and have been looking recently at Fireforge Mongols. Would the rules handle that kind of army?

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
Yes, a mix of Mounted Sergeants and Mounted Yeomen would cover those models nicely. Unfortunately, I don't think you can upgrade them appropriately and still hit 24pts on the nose.

Mounted Sergeants with bows @5pts
Expert Mounted Yeomen @6pts

I think you would probably be best off with 2 units of skirmishing horse archers @6pts each, and then 3 units of Mounted Sergeants using the lance and sword-armed models @4pts each. Of course, that's still 3 boxes of 12, with 6 spare models to do something else with. I used Bolt Action plastics to turn mine into pulp extras from The Good, the Bad & the Weird.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
Thanks, so it is possible, that's good to know. I was referring to the actual Mongol range, not the sergeants/yeoman. There are currently horse archers and infantry, with heavier cavalry hinted at for early next year. A box of each would give me 24 cav and 24 infantry, that sounds a decent size force to me.

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2014, 03:25:36 PM »
Oh yes, I forgot the infantry! Actually, there only 12 models in the cavalry box, which is 2 units in Lion Rampant - similarly, the 24 infantry would only be 2 units unless they can be made into Foot Knights or Bidowers.

You'll probably need a second box of one or the other to reach 24pts.

Offline nelly

• Student
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 10:50:21 AM »
Knights can be controlled by paying for the upgrade to drilled and the rules are simple enough in concept to change or add new factors.the only thing I change with 2 d6 roll systems is to use a D12 instead as the probability of each score is not linear whereas on a D12 it increases by about 8 per cent for each increase of 1 on the required total

As a representation of Crusader warfare I think they are as good as anything I've used in 40+ years as a wargamer!

But if you change to a D12 it completely changes the probabilities for the scores ... 2D6 tends to cluster results at or near 7 ... A D12 gives an even chance of any number between 1 and 12, so therefore the activation scores would need to be looked at and reworked to come into line with D12 probabilities ... far too much hassle in my opinion, but I understand what you mean ... I get frustrated by rulesets that use percentage dice but have results in multiples of 5 ... why not just use D20 and have done with it, at least in this case the 2D6 are there to give that middle cluster of results that a D12 can't.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2014, 09:56:21 AM »
I've played these a few times now with Spanish/Moors and a couple of games set around the 5th century breakup of the Roman Empire. Personally I prefer them to Saga (which I've played a few times now as it's flavour of the month at my local club).

LR are good fun and give a quick game, with very easy to pick up rules. We could rely on the QR sheet within 30 minutes of starting our first game.

Nord, when Ahistorian said "Sergeants" and "Yeomen" he was referring to the terms used in the rules rather than the actual Fireforge figures. In fact there is a suggested Mongol army list in the rulebook (all army lists are suggestions only, you are encouraged to use your own ideas/taste/research). I'm also quite taken with the idea Mongols.