Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boots on the ground  (Read 8681 times)

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
Boots on the ground
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »
A little while ago I purchased a large lot of second hand 15mm scifi models. I was primarily aiming for the vehicles in the set but it also included something like 650 infantry models when I finally got around to counting them.

I am not a big 15mm guy, especially when it comes to infantry.

So to start it off, I got the terminator robots on the workbench. These seemed to come from different manufacturers in quite a bit of size and style variations (and some familiar faces), but I decided to paint them in uniform style anyway.

Black base, silver, pick out details, black wash, silver drybrush, how hard can it be? Actually, basing these small buggers takes longer than you'd think, especially compared to the painting.

Then I moved on to the next batch. I think these are old RAFM models, possibly sold for Traveller (they came with an old catalog sheet and some of the models in the range were listed as having PGMP's).

Not a hugely complex color scheme here either, but at least 3-colors legal unlike the terminators. The uniform is Vallejo Dark Sand, packs, boots and webbing US Khaki, helmet Brown Violet and everything washed down with GW Agrax Earthshade (which is probably the best product GW has). The guns were actually somewhat misshapen, so keeping them flat black helps hide the fact. Again, basing takes considerable time, even discounting the fact that the Vallejo paste needs to dry overnight.

Sigh... only 550 to go...

In case you were wondering, they're based on FoW bases simply because I had them handy and I base all my modern 15mm on FoW bases. I've no idea what to use these for.
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
Re: Boots on the ground
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:03:40 PM »
Tommorow's War from Ambush Alley
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
That's a good start to the 650!  Keep on posting them as you do them  :)
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Agent Brown

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 06:01:17 PM »
Anybody know who those big terminators are? Centre back of the first pic. Really like the look of them.
And what did you spend on the lot? I'm wondering whether to be extremely jealous or not.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 06:41:36 AM »
Anybody know who those big terminators are? Centre back of the first pic. Really like the look of them.
And what did you spend on the lot? I'm wondering whether to be extremely jealous or not.

Those "definitely not Hammerstein" robots are the biggest of the lot. They are at least 20mm tall, perhaps even 25mm. The robots seem to come from a a lot of different manufacturers and there's a lot of variance in the size. I don't know where the Hammersteins came from... but I would guess GZG if I had to.

This is the lot that was on sale on LAF a while back. 650 infantry, something like 50 vehicles (lots of them small buggies but still) and a good collection of resin buildings. I nearly doubled the price with transatlantic shipping and taxes, but I think I still came out ahead quite a bit. The thing I'm really wondering why no one in the US picked them up because with local shipping they would have been practically free...

650 infantry at roughly 3 GBP per pack of eight... yeah, I came ahead on the infantry alone and the rest were icing on the cake.

P.S. No, I will not rebase these individually for Tomorrow's War (or any other game -- I have 28's for individuals). I actually play quite a lot of Force on Force, but I really don't want to play the same game with different models...

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 06:28:02 PM »
I think they are Battle Robot from The Scene Uk: http://thesceneuk.com/shop/15mm-figures/had001/

Regards
"It's the Fumes I say, the Fumes, those lovely Laser Cut MDF fumes"

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 06:07:40 AM »
I think they are Battle Robot from The Scene Uk: http://thesceneuk.com/shop/15mm-figures/had001/

Yup, same guys.

Thanks, now I know where to get more if the need arises.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »
More boots on the ground:

There's these human guys:

I think they're from GZG but I'm not quite sure.

And then these brutish aliens:

No idea where they came from...

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 08:38:07 AM »
Great looking stuff! The orc looking guys are from Ground Zero Games, not sure about the others.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 06:33:08 AM »
Hmmm... seems I missed an update. Oh well, two new batches done:

And these guys:

266 more to go... http://www.smallcuts.net/blog/?id=1884

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »
Great work. Too Fat Lardies do a rule set for generic 15mm sci fi called Sector 7 or something like that. Haven't played it as I don't do 15mm but most of their stuff is pretty good.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 03:21:45 AM »
Great work. Too Fat Lardies do a rule set for generic 15mm sci fi called Sector 7 or something like that. Haven't played it as I don't do 15mm but most of their stuff is pretty good.

Thanks.

No great plans for these, but I think I'll give them a spin with the Slammers rules. Or just mothball them, which is more likely.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »
Nice work. You're really knocking these out!  Another ruleset to consider would be Alien Squad Leader from 15mm UK.  A nice element based scifi game that probably has force lists covering all the figs you've got.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 06:25:28 AM »
This time it's the Thin Red Line:

These are GZG Kra'Vak figures I think. Though I also think they look suspiciously like 2300AD Kafers...

Still 218 to go.

Read all about it: http://www.smallcuts.net/blog/?id=1899