Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:29:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: An observation and a question about bolt actions German Army  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
An observation and a question about bolt actions German Army
« on: November 07, 2014, 09:01:50 PM »
I've noticed recently with the release of the German army cameraman and now the old Paul Hicks FeldGendarmes (left as is thank you) that warlord seems to be re-releasing it's older stock, something I am very pleased to see, hopefully we'll see more of the German stuff and hopefully the classic soviet miniatures as well.

Inspired by all of this I want to do a counter insurgency/police force(edit: second line) for behind frontlines, hopefully one that could be used in the defense of Berlin? any tips?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:51:56 AM by Kommando_J »

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Re: An observation and a question about bolt actions German Army
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 06:41:48 AM »
I highly doubt they'll rerelease all the old Hicks figures. I plainly assume they only want to use some readily available ones for models they don' t see as big sellers. Why make new masters and moulds for models you'll only sell, say a 100 times a year, when there are perfectly usable ones already in your cellar already?
Can't see a return of those old models in any numbers and to br fair the old russians were amongst the ugliest figures on the market imho.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
Having recieved words by PM, I thought i'd clarify, i'm looking to make a a small rag-tag second line army, captured weaponry, armored cars and  more esoteric 'stop gap' vehicles.

Inspired by these articles I want to make a suitable villain for my partisan and home-guard to ambush in street fighting scenarios.
http://www.warlordgames.com/hobby-matthew-davies-pak-36-carrier/
http://www.warlordgames.com/the-north-african-brigade-of-the-ss/

And yes I am well aware of the history of some such units.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »
After some PM discussions and considering my main goal(modeling) I figure that it would be better to focus ore on the defence of berlin aspect as it allows me everything I want plus more, any suggestions? apart from volkssturm and regular army/ss what other units would be involved?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »
Luftwaffe units' effectively ground crew etc turned into infantry.

I did hodge podge army 20mm many years ago and you can throw in some nice oddities, I used been carriers with panzerschreks/37mm cannon, not sure on spelling now but rauphenschlepper most was from memory french truck with ported pak 40. Plus panzer knackers on cycles. Third all sorts in.

For Berlin you can filed some mixed uniforms I think even British Warren as fought in the defence so dress type uniforms mixed with early war late war will give you some great painting opportunities :)

former user

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 09:41:52 PM »
I think from when the war reached german borders at latest on You can have as much improvised and ragtag as Your heart desires - they even used french tanks and whatever. Any kind of uniform or weapon, vehicles etc, as long as there was fuel and ammo. The reserve army always used captured stuff for training and drill, and that was available in the "Reich".

You might find a lot of pictures online from the "Bundesarchiv"

looking forward to see Your efforts, it sounds very interesting