Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:04:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Late War Suggestion for German Attack w Pz IVs?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Tim

• Librarian
Late War Suggestion for German Attack w Pz IVs?
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:10:08 AM »
Hi folks,

I am in the very early stages of planning an attack/defence scenario as a hypothetical part of an overall battle that actually took place in 1944/45 in Europe or Italy.  I'm wondering if anyone might have suggestions (grumpy "google it" responses welcome too) of such a battle where the Germans may have launched local or front wide counter-attacks or an actual offensive against British/Commonwealth or US forces? 

What I'm looking for is a battle where:

1) There's no snow as I don't have winter terrain (rats, that leaves out the Ardennes, otherwise I wouldn't be asking!  :));

2) Where there could have been long LOSs as well as close terrain - I'm looking to avoid bocage but can have some on the table I guess;

3) Late model (H, J) PZ IVs can be involved as well as 6 Pdr/57mm and possibly towed 17 Pdrs. 

4) Room for AFVs and wheeled vehicles to operate off road.

I honestly can't think of much myself.

FWIW, we play a stand = a squad and 1 model = 1 AFV/towed gun and I'm looking at about 11 or 12 Pz IVs with up to a battalion of infantry (depending on how battle worthy the Germans might have been at the time of the actual battle).  Planned indirect fire assets and mortars will be available for both sides, maybe a random ground attack aircraft or two.

I'm trying to plan the same game to be run several times where 1 or 2 of my friends at a time playing the German attacker and I umpiring a defending British/Commonwealth or US player.  A very silly trophy is up for grabs. :)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
--
Tim

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
Re: Late War Suggestion for German Attack w Pz IVs?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 04:50:12 AM »
21 Panzer at Normandy?

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 08:27:34 AM »
21 Panzer offers a couple of options the D Day counter attack and Op Bluecoat off the top of my head.
Rauray on 1 July could fit the bill
I would not discount the Ardennes as it was not snowing the whole time.

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »
The obvious one is 12th SS HJ at Authie in Normandy - 7 Jun 44 - BFWWII scenario (wot I wrote) here: http://www.fireandfury.com/scenarios/bloodhonourauthie.pdf

Offline dice shaker

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:11:13 AM »
Hello,

the german army use 6 Panzer 3 and 2 Panzer 4 at Arnehm. Plus a companie tiger 1 (only 2 make it to the battle). All tanks had been used by training units before, difrent types.
 A big tank battle was at Scherfede (Warburg / Paderborn), there try the US army to close the Ruhr-pocket (railwayline Hagen - Berlin), the german forces try to keep it open. An american Task Force run direkt in the Bereitstellungsraum (ambush?) of the 507 schwere Panzerabteilung. That was anything from the tank training school/ area Sennelager close to Paderborn.
The US-tanks had been knockt out at once, so quick that their General Rose come to look what happens. He found some Tiger 2 there, thought they are new US models. After this he try surrender (give its gun to a tanker), but the man missunderstood und shoot him with his smg (MP).
There you have no snow, hills, forest, small villages, railways, Autobahn, a fuel depot at Siebenstern, evil nazi gangsters, their HQ (Wewelsburg), operating german airforce (planes), any typ of german foot soldier (Heer, Luftwaffe, Marine!!, Volkssturm and Schutzstaffel). Closeby the allies found even railwayguns & their ammunition. The most towns in the area had been smaller, so they had not bombed down, expect Paderborn & Kassel.
All german tanks for middle & late war can be used here, Pz. 3, 4, Panther, Tiger 1 & 2, any Stug, even Jagdpanther & Jagdtiger.
Sounds for me perfekt to create a nice game.

Yours,   Sebastian

Offline Tim

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 01:21:37 AM »
Cool beans, thanks Sebastian and everyone else.

These responses really helped; I probably won't be playing this until Christmas time or later, and I have plenty of time to "internet" these engagements to tailor a scenario to my liking.

Really appreciate these.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 06:46:49 PM »
Have a look at actions in the following, Operation Totalise, Operation Tractable, The Great Swan, Operation Veritable and "the Island" all in 1944.  There will be many actions of the type that you are looking for.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Tim

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »
Thank you for those as well.  This page is bookmarked!  :)