Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:48:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flying over figures on the ground?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
Flying over figures on the ground?
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
I'm planning on building some flying things for a VSF game, but I can't work out how best to mount them. I need them to be able to fly over terrain and figures on the ground. The circle and antenna stand works when you are doing just flying machines, but it requires moving the miniatures and terrain if used with ground forces. Any ideas how to get around this?

I am planning to use both small one man flyers and larger mini zeppelins.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Flying over figures on the ground?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 05:31:02 AM »
I'm planning on building some flying things for a VSF game, but I can't work out how best to mount them. I need them to be able to fly over terrain and figures on the ground. The circle and antenna stand works when you are doing just flying machines, but it requires moving the miniatures and terrain if used with ground forces. Any ideas how to get around this?

I am planning to use both small one man flyers and larger mini zeppelins.

You could use tripods of sorts to provide a stable platform. I've seen folks use cheap camera tripods for that, but you'd need to add a threaded bearing to the model's underside. I'm in a similar fix right now with a large biplane for Back of Beyond-style games and am considering acrylic/perspex tripod stands, which of course I'd have to design and get manufactured (at least the last part wouldn't be a problem).

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 06:27:55 AM »
Get square metal mesh by the foot the size of your table and hang it from the ceiling above the table. Then fishing line and a small hook to your flying vehicle. You would need to have two lines of fishing line affixed to the vehicle to keep it from spinning round too much. It may spin anyway, and maybe there's some other fix you could do stop it. To move your vehicle, measure distance from two points on the mesh and hang it in the new location.  If you wanted to vary the altitude, you could pull the line some distance up beyond the mesh and hook it some distance off from the point it hangs from. Again, the mesh could serve to measure how much altitude you have added.  :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:31:41 AM by Spooktalker »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 07:01:37 AM »
I do clear ones  :)

http://www.oshiromodelterrain.co.uk/gamingaids.html

The size can be change as well.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:40:28 AM »
Get square metal mesh by the foot the size of your table and hang it from the ceiling above the table. Then fishing line and a small hook to your flying vehicle. You would need to have two lines of fishing line affixed to the vehicle to keep it from spinning round too much. It may spin anyway, and maybe there's some other fix you could do stop it. To move your vehicle, measure distance from two points on the mesh and hang it in the new location.  If you wanted to vary the altitude, you could pull the line some distance up beyond the mesh and hook it some distance off from the point it hangs from. Again, the mesh could serve to measure how much altitude you have added.  :)

Go whole hog. Glue a magnetic white board to your ceiling and then hang your vehicles from magnets. By drawing your terrain on the ceiling you can easily see where to move the magnets to. Vary the pitch and roll of your vehicles by changing the string length.

:-D

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »
I like that one James.