Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:41:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Muskets and Tomahawks for Retreat from Moscow  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
Muskets and Tomahawks for Retreat from Moscow
« on: November 10, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
I am thinking that this ruleset would fit very nicely for a Retreat from Moscow Napoleonic skirmish game. Of course you would need to make some specific unit stats, but I think the book's unit can be used as inspiration.

Has anyone else tried using the Muskets and Tomahawks rules for a Napoleonic skirmish game?

Offline Captain_Hook

• Bookworm
Re: Muskets and Tomahawks for Retreat from Moscow
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »
It sounds intriguing. I've seen AAR's where they used the rules for the AWI. I suppose you could treat the Light Infantry as Irregulars, and some of the lesser trained troops as Militia.

I like the Sharp's Practice rules for Napoleonic skirmish games, but I can see where M&T can be adapted to any black powder army.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
I think it should transfer reasonbly easily using the French and British lists with the German asi lists should be straight forward only other thing maybe use of lances but should be easy enough to create stats for that

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »
Iam thinking that the Cossacks should all have the Scout Trait

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
I'll be using the Perry's Retreat from Moscow miniatures and since each pack is a mix of both Old Guard, Grenadiers, Volitgeurs, Chasseurs and ordinary Line infantry I think that there should be one general stat for French Infantry.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
Depending on the quantity of miniatures involved you can also check Song of Drums and Shakos from Ganesha games.
Nice squirmish rules and already with french and russian lists.

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 07:17:12 AM »
Depending on the quantity of miniatures involved you can also check Song of Drums and Shakos from Ganesha games.
Nice squirmish rules and already with french and russian lists.
I have the rules, and while I have not played them yet, I think that they on paper look very solid.
I want to have a few more models involved and I have looked at Sharpes Practice but I think that the M&T rules are better.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
I'm personally waiting for 1812, White Death

http://www.ths-wargames.de/artikel/whiteengl.htm

I agree that M&T would be a great system to base this off of, but it would be quite a lot of work to get it right. Supposedly Studio Tomahawk has a Napoleonic set under development, Shakos and Bayonets, but I doubt it will ever see the light of day as Gripping Beast has no Napoleonic figs and the studio is pretty much part of the Beast's stable these days.

There's a game in an old Courier magazine that might provide some good background material for it.

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 07:51:52 AM »
I'm personally waiting for 1812, White Death

http://www.ths-wargames.de/artikel/whiteengl.htm

I agree that M&T would be a great system to base this off of, but it would be quite a lot of work to get it right. Supposedly Studio Tomahawk has a Napoleonic set under development, Shakos and Bayonets, but I doubt it will ever see the light of day as Gripping Beast has no Napoleonic figs and the studio is pretty much part of the Beast's stable these days.

There's a game in an old Courier magazine that might provide some good background material for it.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to seeing White Death as well.

I don't really think the work needed to make M&T work for Napoleon skirmish games. I have made the unit stats, and will hopefully design the activation deck within the next few days. I will then have a look at whether there should be some kind of Fortitude card to give it the Retreat from Moscow feel.
Of course there will be rules in The Objectives and Side Plots that will need to be looked at, but overall I think it is manageable.