Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Just starting out - questions about company to use for models  (Read 3017 times)

Offline winterwolf

• Lurker
Just starting out - questions about company to use for models
« on: November 09, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »
Hi all,

I just recently found out about IHMN from another forum and after watching a couple of game play videos on YouTube, I ordered the rulebooks.  Still waiting for them to arrive.  In the meantime I started looking at miniatures to see what would peak the interest of my captive play group (Yay kids!).  Because of future possible interest in Malifaux and some great looking minis there and from PP, I'd like to work the following miniatures into companies.  Will I easily be able to use existing companies from VHF or SDRS for the following?  It looked like 10-12 miniatures should be plenty for game play, depending on point costs?

Expect to use Society of Thule as one company for our group.  I also want to build two or three more companies as follows below.

Malifaux Viktorias - re-use samurai stats from SDRS?
Black scorpion Pirates - to give some ranged coverage to go with Viktorias' melee.  Are there pirate companies to pull stats from, or will some other company have stats to match?  Something else?

Also looking at doing a company that can be used for supernatural hunting.  I think I'd use PP gun mages (pistol and sword) and widowmakers (snipers).  I expect I can use old west stats from HVF, as long as I can account for sword and pistol, perhaps using same stats as pirate above?

Should I have two sets of stats, with a second company setup if I want to use them for supernatural hunting, or just add silver ammo and weapons, etc. to default company?   I'm sure it will be a bit more straightforward after I get the sourcebooks and have a chance to read through.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on setting up the Viktorias+pirates company and gun mages + widowmakers.  Any issues seen with mixing Society of Thule with the melee girls + pirates company or gun mage + widowmaker company in games?  I would like no one to have any glaring advantage or disadvantage, so everyone has fun playing.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Just starting out - questions about company to use for models
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »
There is a chinese pirate list in SRDS that could work quite easily for the first.

For the second... I can't think of any off the top of my head, however...... The books have rules for creating your own Adventuring Companies, so it's fine :D

Some companies are easier to play than others but any advantage tends to be down to scenario rather than the companies themselves. For example fast companies tend to have an advantage in movement scenarios and gun lines can have an advantage in high ground style scenarios. As you'd expect.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 05:54:54 AM »
You could look at the companies in IHMN Gothic, which is a free supplement on the IHMN blog.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 05:21:23 AM »
I have created a list using the Gun mages, Gun Mage Captain, the Black 13th (If you have them), the female gun mage mercenary and a random figure "The Pilgrim" by the now defunct company Magnificent Egos. It is the "Knights of Saint George" a secret organization dedicated to the protection of England. You could easily slip some Snipers in to the organization. If you want to see the list just let me know and I can e-mail it to you or something.

Cheers,

Irish
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Offline winterwolf

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:22:51 PM »
Thanks, that sounds great Irish.  I'd be interested to see your list.

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 02:44:52 AM »
Sure let me clean it up and I will post it on here.

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 03:14:07 AM »
Order of Saint George.

James Bond Pts: 82
The main agent of the Order of Saint Goerge is a True Englishman, he is also an incurable rake.  The Primer field Agent of the Order and only sent out on the most important missions. A decent swordsmen and a skilled gunfighter few people who encounter Mr. Bond are left the same.

Stats
Pluck: 2+ FV: +3 SV: +5  Speed: +2
Skills:  Leadership 2, Gunslinger, Fearless
Gear:  Chainmail, 2X Purifier pistol (flare gun), fighting knives, great sword

Order Captain Pts: 52

Order Captains are responsible for organizing and leading the different field teams on missioned assigned to them by the crown.

Stats
Pluck: 3+ FV: +4 SV: +2  Speed: +2
Skills: Leadership 2, Duelist (sword), tough
Gear:  Chain Shirt, Purifier pistol (flare gun), sword

Order Warrior Pts: 23

Order Operatives are skilled agents of the crown they are fine tools to solve delicate or complex problems. Trained to combat threats the normal men never encounter, they fight against foes in both Britannia and in the streets of foreign powers. Skilled with blades and pistols these men and women faces foes and solve problems on one else can.

Stats
Pluck: 5+ FV: +3 SV: +2  Speed: +2
Skills: Skirmisher
Gear: Lined Jacket,Purifier pistol (flare gun), sword

Order Gunfighter Pts:40
If Warriors are fine tools then Gunfighters are the blunt hammers. They are used to infiltrate, assassination or destroy individuals, entities or groups that threaten the crown.  

Stats
Pluck: 4+ FV: +1 SV: +4  Speed: +2
Skills: Skirmisher, Gunslinger
Gear: Lined Jacket, X2 Purifier pistol (flare gun), fighting knives

Order Medic Pts: 18
Agents get wounded it guaranteed. It is the Medics job to make sure these highly trained and expensive agents stay in the field despite these injuries.  

Stats
Pluck: 5+ FV: +1 SV: +1  Speed: +2
Skills: Medic
Gear:  Lined Jacket, pistol, scalpel (knife)

Order Occultists Pts: 13+
Despite your average citizens opinion of  supernatural ( Its Hogwash) the order knows better and knows that they need to  combat magic with magic and thus they scrounged the land for real Witches, Wizard, druids and Spiritualists. After discarding the charlatans they were left with a solid core of mystical  operatives.

Stats
Pluck: 5+ FV +1 SV: +1 Speed: +2
Skills: Can take up to 20 points of Mystic abilities.
Gear: Lined Jacket, Pistol, ritual blade (knife

Order Engineer Pts: 22
A general engineer.

Stats
Pluck: 5+ FV +1 SV: +1 Speed: +2
Skills:Engineer
Gear: Lined jacket, Pistol, Multitool (knife)

Order Sniper Pts: 44
Stats
Pluck: 5+ FV +1 SV: +4 Speed: +2
Skills: Hunter, Marksman
Gear: Lined jacket, Hunting Rifle, Hunting knife  

Options:

Any member of the Order can take tough for +5 points.
Any member of league can take Stealthy for +5 points.
(I do intend to add more Options.)
I want to add some sort of secondary commander but the league is quiet big at this point. I made this league with a little of everything and I may also cut the engineer and medic and just allow one warrior to take these skills as needed or give medic to the Occultist. Also fair warning this league has never been tested. 

I had issues turning this into a PDF sorry.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:48:34 AM by Irishrover13 »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »
If Craig doesn't snap this up for his blog, may I suggest you post it on it's own thread, maybe with some piccies?

We've a fairly active Malifaux group at the store, and I love the thought of subverting them. ;->=

Doug

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »
If Craig doesn't snap this up for his blog, may I suggest you post it on it's own thread, maybe with some piccies?

If Irish Rover wants to knock it up into a PDF we'd be happy to host it on the blog :)

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
Sure I I will do that when I get home to my computer tomorrow, I don't know how do that on this borrow tablet.

Offline winterwolf

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
Thanks for the list.  Between your list and looking at some of the companies in the books, I've cobbled together a list I think is reasonable.  Will post it up once I get a chance to write up the background I've outlined in my head.

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
Glad to help. I really enjoy making lists and histories so if you need help just ask.