Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:49:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: An Imagined Map of Africa in 1844 Without Colonization  (Read 9421 times)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
An Imagined Map of Africa in 1844 Without Colonization
« on: November 15, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »
A friend just posted this and I thought that it might be interesting to the membership.

It can be found at the artists site
http://www.cyon.se/#!alkebu-lan/ck0q

LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

former user

Re: An Imagined Map of Africa in 1844 Without Colonization
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 02:47:56 AM »
this is a very interesting concept.
He elaborates on his sources and proceedings
I would really be curious to know more

however (although this aspect is exempt from the map concept), it always strikes me how the arab influence and expansion, especially the exploitation of east africa, is not regarded as "colonization"  in any way, but more as the natural way of things...

very strange...
how about we left that out too?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »
I imagine that Zululand would be a lot bigger without the influence of Europeans settlers!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 02:35:50 PM »
I imagine that Zululand would be a lot bigger without the influence of Europeans settlers!

Exactly what I thought when I looked at it.

Without Shaka's sucessors' wars with the Voortrekkers, the already greatly expanded Zulu empire carved out by Shaka would surely have covered a greatly deal more of SE Africa than shown by 1844...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:51:49 PM »
Pretty but as others have observed it rather glosses over the more likely 'alternative reality' of indigenous empires expanding or other external forces supplanting them. Up until the end of the second decade of the 20th C for example, the Ottoman Empire had at least nominal suzerainty over much of North Africa.

I know where the artist is coming from. Look, without that pernicious European colonialism, everyone would have lived in harmony and in states or statelets more or less defined by ethnic groupings!  More or less just like it did in Rwanda? There's a point where European guilt comes almost full circle and denies very real human attributes to the people it is feeling guilty about.

I suppose it's well meaning but somewhat patronising and sadly misses a lot of points about human history across the globe, including Africa.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 01:46:48 AM »
If you are looking for a good discussion of cartography that can be bent to some fun gaming scenarios, try looking for a copy of Stewart McIntyre's 'The Secret Discovery of Australia'.

Offline Estorff

• Assistant
  • Eine große Schnurrbart & Pickelhaube sind alle
    • Cornflower Blue & Corduroy: Wargaming the German - Herero & Nama Wars of 1904-1908
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
One wonders whether the linguistic /cultural territories described by the artist as "real historical precolonial African nations" would have developed as nation states on the modern "European" model, or emerged and recombined as territories with a variety of governance structures based on alternative migration patterns, disruptive technologies or ideologies, or competition for resources. 

With alternative history, sometimes "second order counterfactuals" lead to the same historical outcome, and sometimes they distort the past beyond all recognition.  We can "play out" the assumption of the primary counterfactual: that the Black Death kept Europe on the sidelines and left Africa to develop without European colonization, but as others point out, the influence of Arab expansion might well have been enhanced in its absense.  And why not the Imperial Chinese as well, whose trade networks with parts of Africa and voyages of exploration date from the late 9th century, with continued contact until 1500? 

The imagined areas of this map in southwest Africa with which I am most familiar presuppose the migration patterns of Bantu peoples through the 18th and early 19th centuries played out as they did historically.  Without firearms or horses of the Oorlam,  it is doubtful whether the Khoekhoegowab speaking Nama would have contained the Herero in central Namibia.  Nor would the indigenous San have necessarily be confined to the Kalahari. 

What the artist has actually done is to highlight a dominant African linguistic or ethnic identity for geographic territories across the continent, but not as of 1260 as the map purports but rather across nearly six hundred years of subsequent history.
\"crushing the people like this was in equal measure cruel and insane.  One could have saved many of them and their herds, if one had spared them and given them refuge; they had been punished enough.  I suggested this to General von Trotha, but he wanted their complete destruction.\" - L. v.Estorff

former user

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 06:06:58 PM »
this is exactly the point.
 as an example the Great Zimbabwe complex as well as other central African developed states. These fall mainly before European colonial influence,
The later Bantu states like the already mentioned Zulu empire is a good example for bantu-speaking emerging statedom, that was possibly triggered by european colonialism.
All in all, this is a very complex and interesting aspect of history, and I am not sure that it could be satisfyingly assessed, no matter if one counts arab or dutch colonialism in or not.

A good proxy indicator for extra-african substantial influence would be the trading of goods on a major scale, like slaves or ivory.
I am for instance pretty sure about the slave-thirst of emerging Islamic expansion (to the north as well of course), but would be ignorant to answer how far the hellenistic or roman empire "pulled"  in that aspect.

Did we not have forumites who kitbashed fantasy africans from plastic sets? I have always been strongly interested in contrafactual history

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 10:44:50 PM »
Yeah, a lot of these actually fell of their own accord or due to internal African struggles before any Asiatic contact or significant western contact, like the Songhai for instance. Even the most severe criticism of colonialism would be hard pressed to ascribe the fall of the Songhai empire to western causes.

This seems more like a tribal map, if anything. Which is still illuminative to folks who aren't aware of all the tribal groups in Africa and how they lie.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 02:11:58 AM »
What ever happened to " Jack Scruby's "Mafrica"?  I think this has a little more color than that.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 11:03:19 PM »
sorry...but why is it upside down?

former user

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 11:30:46 PM »
sorry...but why is it upside down?
seriously?

OK, I'll play
it is a comment on eurocentrism

since the map is about africa without european influence, it does make sense

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
Drawn by an Australian.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
Actually there is a disadvantage of a south up map (or any other orientation) and that is when you have to navigate round it (rather than just looking at it) it helps if the map lines are drawn to a magnetic or grid north.  I know you can make the adjustments but trust me knowing where north is and being able to orientate the map in that direction really helps.

former user

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
the reason for a north-south orientation in cartography is the use of a magnetic compass for course plotting on a map. Everything else is arbitrary. Since the navigation today works with GPS satellites, you can turn the map whichever way you like. Coordinate projections with N-S orientation make sense for the exact same reason. they are an approximation anyway, and otherwise arbitrary as well