Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Tale from the Tin Shed,28mm Traction Engine & 8"Howitzer from Cereal Packet  (Read 32503 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
No I'm far to lazy  lol.Sorry this topic is a sort of a roll over one from the Fokker Fvii tutorial.
So I haven't mentioned that sort of thing.
These models are aimed at using what you have,and not what you need to buy.
So Pva,Uhu,super glue.Its more about which your familiar with a feel safe with(also how long you wish to hold something while it dries).
Mark.

former user

the "how long You wish to hold it" vs "how often do You need to reglue it"  is the balance aspect towards Your exposition is wanting of some good advice  ;)

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
Cheers for the tutorial mate - I'm going to have a bash at this sometime.
Ah, time... yes, that's the clincher - when am I going to get some free time!?  o_o

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Yours is neater than mine mate! I've just started a traction engine this evening.

Mines covered in superglue :(

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
Flipping heck thats bloody amazing

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Don't worry superglued card can be sanded like wood(just like wood it will only sand smooth of you sand with the grain).
As for strength and durablility Super glue soaks into more fibre layers in the card than Pva or Uhu.
I do use all three glues on one project depending on what effect is required.
The fishing boat/tramp Steamer model used Pva to form the double layered hull sides,Uhu was used to glue the hull and superstructure to gether.Deck guns and detailing used superglue.The Fokker was a speed model and was mainly super glue,with only the side pannels being bonded with Uhu.
I am only using super glue for the stream engine because it has to fit in with paid work so speed is key.I don't advocate the use of super glue as a rule because it behaves differently with card.Giving off more fumes staying wet for longer,and running and pooling in ways that are hard to predict.It's evil stuff that requires a higher skill level than beginner.Which was the skill level I feel is safest to aim tutorials at.
I'm not saying only I know how to use it,and I'm sure you'll have faith in your own knowledge and  use of this evil stuff.I'm just not willing to say super glue is what you need.Because there will someone out there who has in spirit more thumbs than fingers.
Mark
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:42:26 PM by tin shed gamer »

former user

THX

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
The wheels are tricky! >_<

Here's mine!

Cheers
Matt.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
   Nothing wrong with that at all,The super glue looks fine.It looks to have soaked into the card quite well.I doubt anyone will notice once you've got its base colours on.
The wheels are a little more of a time eater than you'd think.But are worth the effort.A solid disk wheel just doesn't look as good as a spoked.That said the second engine I'm building will have a solid disk.
I'll be covering the large rear wheels last,as they are need for the howitzer as well just so theres no to go back and find how to make them when your half way through the gun.
As for the front wheels you can make two types,The first is just the wheel you've already made only slightly smaller plus two layers of card on top of the rim only narrower than the rim to form a tyre.
The second is more complicated(looking when finished) requiring more parts.I'll post a how to at the same time I cover the front axle.
There a few types of front axle but I'm only going to cover one with a leaf spring on top of it.As it looks complicated on the finished model,but is very simple to construct.
 I'll put a half length roof on the second engine,just to cover the whole thing.So to speak,before moving onto the gun.
I'm glad your making your own,without wishing to sound smug.other wise its just me telling the world I spent alot of my time making paper toys.
Mark.

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
I'm doing the rear wheels now, so I'll probably be finished before your how to. I'm building mine around a toothpick axle.

Very nice mark, your doing a fine job. I like the superglue and card. The benifit is it glues less to your fingers as excess is absorbed. That said I'm using plenty of the stuff, the Windows are open and the living room stinks, and I'm finding I need to glue things twice. Once to absorb the glue and stiffen the surface, then a second time to contact join. 0_o

I was going to try a fallout motorbike, but agreed with your assessment of cubes and cylinders regarding the steam tractor! Haha. So here's my first try.

Cheers
Matt.

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Brilliant stuff, I've really enjoyed reading through this and looking forward to the rest  8) 8)

former user

other wise its just me telling the world I spent alot of my time making paper toys.

As much as I like kitbashing, converting and even scratchbuilding in plastic, I just humbly realized that this kind of thing is the real scratchbuild masterclass, bending the pulp to ones own will....
everything else we are showing off in the miniature world is just wargaming efficiency, like "quickpainting"  and "dipping".
there should be some kind of masterclass childboard in the workbench where it is only "from scratch", but also an "efficiency" one, so that people can compare the tradeoff.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I wouldn't call it a masterclass lol.Working card is just one trick in the old toolbox.I'm a freelance sculptor .I'm not claiming to reinvent the wheel.I've made my name behind the scenes.Being The guy you hire when you can't figure it out,or someone says it can't be made.( Goodgrief that makes me sound like a a smug Edward Woodward .but it is my bread and butter.)
 I've done a fair few tutorials by Pm on the forum.But my goal is just to show not show off.These 'open' tutorials I'm doing now came about through a topic chat with a member and was a case of me putting my money where my mouth is.

former user

with masterclass I was simply referring to everyone here who is earning their money with actual sculpting or scratchbuilding of any kind, nothing sophisticated. "just" the pros to show their tricks from the toolbox. no more, no less.

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Mine thus far!