Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 29, Let's Go, Game Six Report  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
29, Let's Go, Game Six Report
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »
Afternoon all

We played a really interesting game last night in our ongoing campaign.  The US player was armed to the teeth, the German player with just the boots he stood up in, but it played out very differently to what one might expect. 

Here's the report:
http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=3384

Here are a few snaps.

For former user's sake, this was played with Chain of Command which can be found here: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=117

Cheers

Rich

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
Re: 29, Let's Go, Game Six Report
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:14:48 PM »
very entertaining read, makes me want to play Chain of Command more and more

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »
Just Do It!  ;) ;)

Great fun game, watched a game at our club last night where one guy was pumped to use his brand new troops and a Pz III L (he got the right support rolls). Although the tank seemed to dominate the field, his opponent worked out that he could destroy or at least nullify it but his PIAT rolls were terrible and he fled the field to preserve his remaining troops.

very entertaining read, makes me want to play Chain of Command more and more
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:26:41 AM »
Poiter,

Yup, tanks are really scary monsters right up to the point where two little blokes with a PIAT pop up.  What we wanted to represent in the rules was that tanks are great for supporting infantry, but the infantry need to repay their debt of gratitude by protecting the tanks.  It''s very much about mutual support.  This is especially true when you get to the point where the Panzerfaust comes along.  

By the way, we are hoping to be able to announce having an Australian distributor very soon.   That should make getting a helping of Lard a bit easier for you upside-downies!  

Rich

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 02:06:41 PM »
The more I see of this the more I think Chain of Command is for me. I've watched all the You Tube videos!

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Playing such battles in any other gaming system will never have the Germans win. Great and very interesting report!
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline JArgo

• Librarian
  • Hamburg, Germany
    • Der Inselaffe
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 10:17:39 PM »
Kane - I think you're right. In other games the Germans wouldn't have had a chance.

The more I see of CoC the more I want to try it.

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »
Kane - I think you're right. In other games the Germans wouldn't have had a chance.

The more I see of CoC the more I want to try it.

Same here. Hope I can lure somebody into the CoC-clutches... Since everyone I know (and my direct opponent as well) is into bolt action.

Offline JArgo

• Librarian
  • Hamburg, Germany
    • Der Inselaffe
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »
I feel your pain.

Although BA is a fine game within its own limits.

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »
I feel your pain.

Although BA is a fine game within its own limits.

I'd say I come over to join you in a battle, but you're a 5 hours drive away. That's a bit much for a battle. Even for me  lol

BA is indeed a fine game, but I can really appeal to the randomness and insecurities you have as a "commander" in CoC. You really need to make choices, which isn't the case as much in BA.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 12:13:48 AM »
Another fine report.
Excellent tactics by the Germans.
Bad luck for the US with their command and control problems.
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 03:37:44 AM »
Another excellent AAR; thanks!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 07:18:24 AM »
On reading reviews online of CoC one of the criticisms is that some of the random elements can make it very one sided or reduce the effectiveness of a force meaning that one side starts off with a significant disadvantage. Clearly this is intentional and part of the narrative play element? This is acknowledged in some of the reviews with a 'not for competition gamers' caveat. We are playing a Napoleonic campaign at the moment which is designed so that one side is expected to 'lose' each game in the traditional sense,  and it instead it is about impacting on the extent of the 'victory'. I still think CoC would suit us.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 01:04:30 AM »
On reading reviews online of CoC one of the criticisms is that some of the random elements can make it very one sided or reduce the effectiveness of a force meaning that one side starts off with a significant disadvantage. Clearly this is intentional and part of the narrative play element? This is acknowledged in some of the reviews with a 'not for competition gamers' caveat. We are playing a Napoleonic campaign at the moment which is designed so that one side is expected to 'lose' each game in the traditional sense,  and it instead it is about impacting on the extent of the 'victory'. I still think CoC would suit us.

What particular random elements are they discussing?
Feedback from people I know trying Bolt Action have found nothing as random as there artillery or air landing on their own troops and wiping out their force before the game really gets going.

I have not found and game changing random events in my CoC games. Sure little things like the random movement within constraints. the biggest thing is the pre game barrage where you have a 50/50 chance of deploying each unit during the first turn.
On my last game my opponent played the PGB I got no units on in the first phase and I gnashed an wailed, my opponent deployed 4 units in his phase - more gnashing and wailing from yours truly. Next phase I got three units on and my opponent had had nothing to shoot at in his first phase but I sure did - blam.
 Just goes to show reading the rules and playing them are two different things :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 07:00:22 AM »
Random movement,  random morale and random deployment,  I think, were all mentioned. Funnily enough all our homemade rules have these elements, we like not having too much control as afterall we can see everything that goes on on a tabletop battlefield so we 'need' some friction to offset some of that.