Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Are these houses appropiate for a 1920-30ish game in the Americas?  (Read 6744 times)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Are these houses appropiate for a 1920-30ish game in the Americas?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 03:35:41 AM »
either way, those houses are fantastic. 

Are there any painted and finished examples?

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 04:22:38 AM »
Our barn in Iowa had a gambrel roof. It was a bigger building though, and made of brick.

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »
How would the a "ranch" house like this, imagined to be laying outside of town, in New England, 1920-30ish be furnished on the inside, not asking about furniture. Its about wallpaper or the lack there off. What colour should I paint the inside of the ranch house? should I print out wallpaper or any specific colour?
Anyone know whets periods/geographical typical?
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh

Offline religon

• Bookworm
  • 28mm Pulp, Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Historical
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 12:59:58 AM »
As the house would be a great house in the community, I would expect Victorian furnishings and an older owner. Wallpaper would be period. I grew up in a similar era house in the US South. It had wallpaper that my father and I stripped in the 1970's during the first remodel of the house. Flooring included pine floors, rugs and some linoleum in kitchen, living room and the "laundry room." IIRC the wallpaper we stripped was one color...brown or green floral patterns. I'm sure colors and styles varied greatly. They would have been ordered from a Sears catalog. (Online images from Sears Roebuck catalogs may prove great inspiration.)

http://bradbury.com/blog/?p=324

Depending on the exact year/place, many houses would not be built with electricity, but retrofitted. A bare light bulb in an otherwise well furnished room might be typical. Screen wire over windows were very popular prior to air conditioning and advertised to fight insect-borne diseases. My great uncle born in 1897 claimed that screen wire was the greatest invention of his lifetime in an interview. (Actually, it was invented many years before he was born, but was popularized in the early 1900's for residential use.) Many homes of the period would have a washing machine, but clothes would be dried on a clothesline. In the South, the washing machine was often on a porch rather than precious interior space. That may have been different in New England.

I would expect a stove to be a gas stove for those of means...an iconic looking antique. Some would still use a wood cook stove...my great grandparents used wood into the 1980's that was in their bungalow style home built in the 1930's.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 08:53:46 AM »
The "ranch house" would make a good Whately (Dunwitch Horror) or Martense (Lurking Fear) manor.

The "Plantation House" looks like it would belong in a row of similar buildings rather than something out in the middle on it's own. It doesn't really fit what I imagine from any of the stories. Feels way more like something I'd see in a western, to be honest. If I were to use it, I'd put it in an urban suburban or small town setting rather than on it's own our out in the boonies, but I can't think of a specific location in a specific story where it feels like it "fits".

The barn is way too small, but otherwise it's good. As others have said, barns in the US before the mid 20th or so are pretty standard in their general design, so this could exist nigh anywhere and within 200 a year period. It's tempting to think "too small" is a good thing because of the standard gaming terrain foreshortening thing, but barns are very open inside, and that makes that space useful. IMO a barn that figure's can enter adds a lot more play value to the table than a solid "NPC" barn, and without the usual downsides of enterable buildings, to the point where a solid barn just feels like a waste to me.

The house religion selected would be good for "The whisperer in Darkness" farmhouse, or the house in "From Beyond" or a number of others. It looks like it's almost the same pattern as the one with the balcony, but that balcony makes a world of difference.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:56:13 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 12:25:03 AM »
The barn would only be appropriate if you put something...something with angles that don't make sense...it seems to be colorless and all the colors at the same time...larger than a horse with teeth like a lamprey...oh dear god...no...

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
You will see examples of all 4 buildings in Oregon and Washington state to this day in rural areas. I have actually lived in one for a few years of my life-good thing it was a mild climate. There's no insulation other than newspapers in the walls!

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »
puh! flower wallpaper is not the only style used in the 20-30's makes it much easier to make my house.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42835754@N05/galleries/72157622322435883