Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 05:07:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10469
  • Latest: liath
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692502
  • Total Topics: 118465
  • Online Today: 618
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: long-delayed completion of projects - what is your record  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
long-delayed completion of projects - what is your record
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:44:38 AM »
I was shocked to realise that I have a long-suffering plastic dragon from a Talisman set which has been lingering on my workbench (occasionally in storage but regularly resurfacing) for just around 20 years still in basecoat with a very few details painted.
Is this exceptional, or run of the mill?

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Re: long-delayed completion of projects - what is your record
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:24:43 PM »
I was shocked to realise that I have a long-suffering plastic dragon from a Talisman set which has been lingering on my workbench (occasionally in storage but regularly resurfacing) for just around 20 years still in basecoat with a very few details painted.
Is this exceptional, or run of the mill?

beginner!

I have grenadier fantasy Warriors project thats been ongoing since 1986.
Along with my collection of dragons that started with the GW Great Spined one and Grenadier's Teronus

Although to be honest I think these projects are more purchasing projects than modelling or painting.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »
It's not the longest WIP project but it is the one that get's mentioned now and again. I still have a warhammer darkelf dragon I need to finish painting, it's not mine but ít's been in the painting queue for about 20 years, it was bought by a friend of mine in the mid 90's when it was released for 4th or 5th edition, and has pretty much been in the bitsbox in various stages of basecoat ever since, though somewhere in the early 00's my friend stopped playing warhammer and sold of all his stuff including the dragon to another mate of mine, but since I have been painting most of his armies too, the dragon has stayed where it was in the understanding I'd get to painting it eventually. that was about 10 years ago, I don't think he's ever even seen the dragon, but once in a while he still asks if I've finished painting it yet  ;D

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:17:41 PM »
When does a project complete anyway?

If you count painting a specific model or group of models a project, than ok that has a relatively clear cutoff point. Though I do know a number of people who game with half-finished models and regularly keep adding details to them.

But if the project is a game or an army, I frequently find that after painting "everything", new models have mysteriously appeared in the painting queue...

I have a number of models I've primed long ago sitting on my desk and in boxes... but if I go beyond that I tend to finish the job.

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

former user

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »
oh god...
don't awake the ghosts of unfinished paintjobs.... :'(

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »
Just found a unit of Goblin Warg Riders I hadn't finished painting.... Minifig Middle Earth line from about 1974?
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »
I have still not painted one of the first sets of models I ever purchased - Ral Partha's Dragonlance Heroes.  I never felt confident enough to paint Raistlin.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
Completed a couple of thirty plus year old projects this year and last... Finally had a real need of them and overcame that whole "I'm not good enough to paint this" thing.

Of course it is necessary to maintain several long-delayed projects as part of your 'creative-frission'. So don't rush out and do anything rash.  8)

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »
I try to purge unfinished projects around the 15 year mark.  lol Don't think I have anything older than that.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »
Does it count if you buy a figure, start to paint it, then sell it, then buy another copy, sell it (unpainted) and then buy one but leave it in the box?

If so, does any one know when Citadel released the 'Complete Adventurer' with sink on his back?  If so that's should be my longest one!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
Whilst looking for some pirate figures to use at school club I remembered a box that was in my cupboard. Mostly Minifigs, some dated 1974 on the base. I suspect they were bought in 74 or 75.

Some part-painted in gloss Humbrol, but now based and waiting to undercoat for painting in acrylic.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 10:00:58 PM »
  3rd  Space 1889 figures ,bought in 89 1/2 painted still a work in progress -25years
  2nd  a 15mm Lycimachos army bought in 1984 2 units of pikes and 4 units of archers painted so far -30years
  1st   spaceship battlecruiser ,bought in 1978 undercoat still a w.i.p -36 years

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
My first Hinchliffe and Minifigs purchases in the 70s were painted regularly.......come 76 the lead pile started building. Too many half finished figures / ideas / projects etc. Can't walk into a shop without seeing something that may be useful at some point....been doing that since late 70s.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 04:50:08 AM »
I have some Ral Partha figures I bought for a D&D campaign back around 1980. Some day I will paint them...
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »
When does a project complete anyway?

You're right - I never finish any project, if that's a force or army; single models or single units or dioramas or bits of scenery would be a better fit to this.

I can see the cobwebs flying and smell the dust already.
@Bezzo - 41+ years is not bad at all....!  :o

Taking Mr Peabody's example, it would be nice to turn this thread into a 'look, I finally finished this' one with pics.....anyone up to it?