Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:10:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Atlantic fleets from Topside Minis  (Read 1776 times)

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
(Kickstarter) Atlantic fleets from Topside Minis
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:54:50 PM »
EDIT:  Sorry about the original picture of the Bismarck...   Note, the ships offered have historical markings so the German ships may not be appropriate for all.

Anyone interested in a way to get into WW2 Naval gaming may want to check out Topside Mini's kickstarter for participants in the various Atlantic naval battles.   They have funded and hit their first stretch goal.  The structure of the KS is interesting (to me), you pledge an amount, and you'll decide what to get with that amount, instead of fixed pledge reward packages.   They are offering fleets (by nation), battle sets for some of the more famous battles, or you can order individual ships to fill out your pledge (or a combination of all those choices).

I have their WW1 Coronel/Falklands set from the Fatal Choices KS which recently  ended and like them a lot.   Basically you get sheets of adhesive backed printed ships which you cut out and put on provided wood bases.   The art on the ships is pretty darned good (in my opinion) and storing them is a LOT easier than storing minis.  I know these won't be for everyone, but if naval gaming is a side project (and for me it is) I think this is cool way to field good looking fleets that are nicely priced and easy to store.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1286217471/topside-minis-naval-war-gaming-miniatures-atlantic

The ships look like this (but without the watermark).

Their non-KS website is:  http://topsideminis.com/

They'll send you a free sample ship if you ask, and currently offer Pacific theater as well as the WW1 stuff I have.  

Jake
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:33:12 AM by CptJake »
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Kes

• Bookworm
Re: (Kickstarter) Atlantic fleets from Topside Minis
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:31:11 AM »
I asked them for a free sample last weekend and it turned up straightaway.
I'm impressed and very very tempted to pitch in.
Just debating whether I'm willing to pay the import taxes etc on top :(

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Re: (Kickstarter) Atlantic fleets from Topside Minis
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
I'm glad I don't have to deal with type of silliness.