Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:51:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Shooty, shooty, pew pew: Adventures in the wastes.  (Read 59095 times)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Shooty, shooty, pew pew: Adventures in the wastes.
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2019, 11:59:49 PM »
They look good. Will you add a twig in the middle of each one or just leave as is?

Or should that be 'leaf' it?

i would go for the twig option, break them off at about 35mm (ish) & blacken the tops.
Gives you a bit more cover & re-enforces the Post Apocalypse vibe.

First of all, BOO for the pun.

Second, it's bushfire season right now, so I'll likely go twig hunting once the air's breathable and less on fire. It's not too bad right now, but it could change at any moment. Also I have to work.

Now, for new business. This is Jackie, a scavver with a penchant for inventing and punching raiders.

Born with one arm, Jackie managed to compensate with crude prosthetics until she learned enough to build her own from various bits and bobs she picked up.

With a bag stitched to her vest and a hand made of scrap, Jackie always finds a way to break through.

The model is ex manus studios' Jawbreaker, with a backpack from pig iron productions and a wheel from a russian tank hunter.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2020, 02:56:52 AM »
So...remember how I said I'd start a 40k post if I got any more eldar?

I might have lied a little.

This is one of the Fancy Lads, a pair of wanderers who started saving people for the caps, but they got hooked on the rush of being real heroes and now they fight to make the wastes just a little better.

The paint job on this one was inspired by a certain anime character. If you can guess who...good for you, I guess.

Inspired by the jesters of ancient earth (and a costume store that he happened to get flung into by a super mutant one time) this Fancy Lad loves to jump and flip all over the place.

I...may have overdone it on the diamonds.

So...many...diamonds.

As you've probably guessed, these are old GW metal harlequins. I picked them up at MOAB last year. Could they be better? Probably. Am I content with how they look? Heck yes.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »
Diamonds are nicely done!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2020, 04:10:58 AM »
Diamonds are nicely done!

Thanks! I probably could've done them a bit better, but my fine detail brush loves to go all wonky right when I need it most.

Now for my newest project: The Angels of the Apocalypse.

The Angels are a mostly-honourable group of mercenaries that will take a job if the caps are good and the kill count doesn't need to be too high. Ammo is expensive, after all.

Descending from the skies on scavved flight suits, no target is safe for long, unless they're very good at running.

The models are GW's metal swooping hawks. I bought them from moab last year, so there was a wing missing. I gave the one that would be missing a wing a backpack from pig iron productions instead. It is...horribly unbalanced.

Well you've met the mercs, but what about their leader?

The current leader of The Angels keeps his head largely due to keeping an eye on his subordinates and identifying whoever's most likely to kill him and keeping them placated.

Then again, the advanced radar in his pack probably helps as well.

The model is a metal Swooping Hawks archon. There are so many gems on this thing, so many...

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2020, 08:23:02 AM »
I always liked that Exarch figure, it was one of the first my parents ever got me! All the recent paintjobs are really nicely done!

I didn't think to check out Pig Irons back pack kits, I guess I'll need to now  ;)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2020, 11:15:02 AM »
I always liked that Exarch figure, it was one of the first my parents ever got me! All the recent paintjobs are really nicely done!

I didn't think to check out Pig Irons back pack kits, I guess I'll need to now  ;)

Cheers! I've been trying to push myself to do a bit better lately. With work off for the foreseeable future, I've got plenty of time.

Also the backpacks were from Secret Weapon, not Pig Iron. My bad.

Now for today's miniatures, Lee and Min!

Plagued by raider attacks, Lee and Min's vault made the difficult decision to send the orphaned twins away 'for their own safety.' Yep, the place where the raiders came from was definitely safer than a vault.

Upon leaving their vault, Lee and Min learned that they had two options: scav or starve. Since starvation is generally unpleasant, they took to scavenging. With Lee's unusual powers and Min's ability to talk down any witch hunter types, they make a decent pile of caps for the scrap they manage to find.

The models are Bushido's Sukoshi and Noi and I'm not going to lie, I had issues with these ones. The arms were SO fiddly to put together, I nearly gave up. I initially thought I'd put too much primer on Lee's face, so I stripped him down and tried again, after having to reattach the arms. Nope, the face was still difficult, which is why his left eye is jankier than the right. Aside from those issues, I did manage to have quite a bit of fun with these ones, especially with Micro Art Studios' bases.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2020, 01:39:40 AM »

My newest project was pretty...in-tents.

No big backstory with this guy, it's just a tent that I made out of a jelly bean tin I bought years ago. The beans themselves are long gone, but it took a global pandemic for me to finally work on this thing.

I added some posters to represent wear and tear on the outside of the tent, as well as break up the wall of greenery.

Only fancy lads allowed in here.

Don't tell anyone, but the internal posts don't entirely touch the ground. You can't really see them once it's set up, so let 's just keep that little secret between us, eh?

It's a generic tin with paddle pop sticks, toothpicks and a little bit of green stuff. I was thinking of making it a cooling tower instead (which would have been significantly easier) but I knew I'd be disappointed with the results if I didn't take on this more challenging project. I reckon it came out pretty well.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2020, 05:02:31 AM »

In case anyone was wandering about the lid from the tin tent, here it is. Now, it's the door to Vault 286!

Vault 286's door hasn't fared as well as other vaults due to constant attempts by raiders to get in.

Unfortunately for the raiders inside, the only entertainment available in Vault 286 were poorly-dubbed martial arts holovids. While not entirely educational in nature, there was enough for the dwellers within to learn some amount of martial arts and send any invaders packing.

The door before you is little more than a tin lid, some brass wire, sequins, cardboard, plastic gubbins from a russian tank hunter, half a book from either the gw empire wizard kit or the flagellant kit, I'm not sure. The lock on the back is the cap from a juice carton. I might have overdone it on the rust, but overall I reckon it came out pretty well.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2020, 11:55:37 AM »
That looks great; may need to copy it at some point.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
The door is fantastic. Now to build the door frame! lol

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »
Some nice additions - I'm loving that door too!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2021, 03:11:24 AM »
That looks great; may need to copy it at some point.

Go for it! The more messed up vaults out there, the better...wait...

The door is fantastic. Now to build the door frame! lol

And the vault beyond it! Just need to find a large enough box...

Some nice additions - I'm loving that door too!

Cheers! Just glad folks are enjoying my random piles of junk.

And speaking of piles of junk...

The walking fireworks platforms, or FW-X units, were originally designed as mobile and somewhat affordable entertainment units prior to the war.

However, the factories where the FW-X units were being made were taken over by The Government prior to the war, their armaments changed from fun, colourful explosions, to machine guns and other weapons of death.

Not many survived the war, given that their internal speakers still pumped out high-energy music whenever they were deployed, but a few 'fortunate' ones can still be found

However, 'fortunate' is definitely not what you'd call someone who gets in the way of its weaponry.

At some point, someone managed to put a hat on top of this unit. For whatever reason, it's still there to this day.

The mini is hasslefree's Grymn walker. The hat came from malifaux's hats and guns blister, which might not be available anymore. The bag is another pig iron backpack and the pile of junk it's resting on is possibly from GW's ogre ironguts kit, but I'm honstly not sure. I'm not super experienced with resin and there were a couple of hiccups along the way, but overall it's a fun little mini.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2021, 06:26:56 PM »
Nice idea for the Walker.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2021, 03:14:50 AM »
Nice idea for the Walker.

Cheers! It all kind of just came together.

Here we have a family of wyrd users, who are able to harness the odd power that seems to permeate everything since the disaster.

After being taken in by a grizzly old drop bear, the family soon learned to put their skills to good use.

Now, armed with experimental photon blades and inspired by some old movies, the family seeks to do what they can to make the world a little better.

That is, if the twins don't have a planet-cracking tantrum first...

The minis here are hasslefree's mystic family. Lucky for me, I got two of the toddler, so I did one as a light side and one as a dark side, as per fiction's hard rule that one twin must always be evil. Luckily, I had some spare bases, so the drop bear got a new piece of land to call his own.

They're a bit rough around the edges (and the less said about the mother's hair, the better) and I probably could've done better on the bases, but overall I'm happy with how they turned out. There's a couple of angles I didn't manage to catch and for some reason the lights didn't want to play nice today, but again, I'm happy enough.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 03:17:51 AM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2021, 05:35:12 AM »

From a friendly family to someone who's not family friendly.

Molly's been alone for as long as she can remember. When nobody helps you, you get good at helping yourself.

Caps, food, or chems. You got it? She'll take it.

She does have some standards regarding who she'll work with or steal from, but they're pretty low. If it keeps her in hair dye and bullets, she'll at least hear you out.

The model is hasslefree's Foxtrot. I was planning on using the other head, but it fell out of my hands and straight up vanished on the floor. I had a few hiccups here and there on the path to painting this one, but overall it turned out okay.