Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:21:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Miniatures for a BPRD game?  (Read 15643 times)

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
Re: Miniatures for a BPRD game?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »
From what I've seen, the Hellboy Heroclix minis are fairly decent. We do quite a bit of BPRD style scenarios with Pulp Alley, including military vehicles and big monsters (see Terrors).
I was planning on using Pulp Alley for some small scale games, more two fisted adventure style, and then use another ruleset for larger skirmishes involving vehicles and troops fighting large monsters and armies of Cultists.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Miniatures for a BPRD game?
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »
Not really. Most of the Ogrdu Hem encountered in the comics would be around the size of a gallon milk jug in 28mm. It's implied they can grow pretty much indefinitely if empowered/fed, but they're usually dispatched before that snowball can get rolling. Totally gameable as a "boss monster". IIRC there was a Kaiju-sized one in the "Black Flame" arc, but that's the only really huge one I can recall (though I haven't read all the stories yet.)

Just yesterday I bought one of the 'big bumper' volumes of BPRD, with stuff I hadn't read yet, including that Black Flame arc where Katha-Hem showed up. I think my reaction would have been pretty much like Professor O'Donnell's.

There are smaller Ogdru-Hem, like Sadu-Hem, the 'Conqueror Worm', the Lovecraftian 'twin brother' that Abe and Daimyo killed, etc. But since the Ogdru-Hem really started to wake up, many have been absurdly massive. Cyclopean, even. Like the Salton Sea monster, the O-H in Scotland and Russia, and so on.

Not to mention all the smaller monsters and subsequent mutants and things. Hence the 'Hell on Earth' subtitle. And it'd be very difficult to cover that up. :D

Gaming-wise, I agree that's it'd be a great setting for wargames of various scales. The big Ogdru-Hem would be a tad unwieldy (and those games would largely boil down to whether you can survive or stay sane or unmutated long enough to chuck a nuke or a Liz Sherman at it) but conversions of the big tyranid kits could be used for smaller hems and other gribblies. Although the basic models could still seen too... 'conventional', in ways. The bigger gap in the market, besides readily-available BPRD members, might be suitable representations of frogs...

I think I have some of those BPRD horrorclix about here meself, though. Time for a hoke.