Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:49:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Little Terrors  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Ehpeaell

• Student
    • Sir Rand McNally, 25mm Adventurer
Little Terrors
« on: November 20, 2014, 03:41:49 AM »
Thanks to the Kickstarter I've gone totally crazy for Strange Aeons.  Maybe Styx cracked the whip once too often or something, but I'm off the deep end for this game.  Played both sets of demo rules several times, and I've been addicted to building Threshold lists since I got the first edition at the start of the month.  Began a campaign and even lost my first Agent (Sister Lilly White, eaten by flesh crazed zombies while trying to retrieve relics...post game she rolled "Multiple Injuries" twice and got 3 both times! Finally killed the poor dear).

But I've gone a step further.  I'm enjoying the rules like very few other rulesets I've found, so I've decided that I need to have a "travel" version of Strange Aeons!  The compact number of figures on a table and the reduced table size make it perfect for on the go gaming.  And while trapped in an airport, hotel or even airplane (how big is that tray table anyway?) I can trot out a game for me and my sons.

Because it's travel-sized I've decided to go for reduced size for everything, I even have tiny little d6s that came with some Star Wars build-the-cardboard-figures-and-battle game packs.  For figure scale I opted to go 10mm because of the lovely Pendraken fantasy figures available.  I'm thinking that I need to switch the weapon ranges and other distances from inches to centimeters (that'll be close enough won't it?).  But now I'm wondering what options I might have for good, portable scenery.  N-scale railroad stuff might be okay, but I don't know how portable it is.  Any suggestions appreciated!  Then I can box it all up, slip it in a carry on and I'm good to go.

I'll be sure to post updates as the project progresses!

Offline A. Paul Hiram

• Student
Re: Little Terrors
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 04:15:14 AM »
Perhaps you could design some simple cardstock buildings that stack like Russian dolls, and also double as a carrying case?

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:37:10 AM »
10mm is a good scale, especially for the "battlefield in a box" approach. I suggest using lots of Neodynium magnets so things don't bump around in their case while traveling. As for scenery, I guess you could keep it simple. A few small trees, a hedge or two, a farmhouse that doubles as a figure and terrain storage box, while the ground itself may be a painted mdf board or just a rolled felt sheet. For buildings, it might be worth looking into paper terrain, PaperTerrain.com has a lot of useful stuff in 10mm, and WorldWorksGames as well (although it needs to be scaled down). For my own Strange Aeons project (see signature link), I relied completely on cardboard terrain and figures, makes for a very light but sturdy game. All my buildings, even the larger ones like the barn (from Dave Graffam), fold completely flat. In theory, I could store all the Strange Aeons things I have in one large envelope (even the figures ;) ). Might be worth considering :)

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:39:43 AM »
While I can understand your desire to go with 10mm, and bearing in mind I've not done a lot of research into appropriate and available 10mm figures, I have seen a lot of 15mm figures that would work great with SA. Just something you might possibly want to look into.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Ehpeaell

• Student
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 03:31:10 AM »
Cherno, I really like your figures!  Nicely done stuff and very inspirational.  You've got some great ideas there that I'm going to have to adopt, and many thanks to you!

I like the idea of paper terrain, especially if it can be made to fold flat.  I wonder if I could use magnets (likely the walmart peel-n-stick photo magnet sort) to stick them together?

And I have to say I did think long about going 15mm rather than 10, and honestly my preference was to go 6mm since that's what my travel Mexican/American troops are.  But in the end I thought smaller was better even though there is greater selection in 15, so 10mm it was since I didn't think there was enough available in 6mm to be viable.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 03:04:49 AM »
Glad to hear the game has you in its clutches and I look forward to seeing where this all goes!

Offline Ehpeaell

• Student
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 03:45:04 AM »
Thanks UM and thanks for the game...I'm loving 1st ed, and can't wait for the second...   :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »
Sounds like you are having fun.
Please show us some pictures of your progress.
 :D