Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:32:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689595
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: how hate turns to love....  (Read 5615 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: how hate turns to love....
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »
Doomhippie:looking at the pics im inclined to agree and might even do something about it. i might just do a wash then add some darker blues in. but yeh. sorry JB i feel like i may have started another one of those post highjacking quotes now. oh holy jeebus.

I think the problem [if any actually exists] is with the size of the photo. Some minis can stand being photographed many times larger than their true size, others can't. This is due to painting styles, IMO. Ultra-realistic blending can have this done, layering etc can't. This is not to say that at their true scale layered minis don't look great. The pics in the Citadel painting book show different painting techniques that all look stunning at their true scale.

I'm willing to bet that if we saw this pic at a quarter of it's current size, it would look fantastic and the harsh-looking shading would look far more subtle and "realistic". Even getting up and walking back 6 feet from the screen gives a vast improvement. Try photographing him in natural sunlight with no flash [ha! if you can find any....] . Alternatively you could also go to a craft shop and get a "daylight" bulb for your lamp then rest your camera on a stable surface, using the timer to take a long exposure to negate the need for a flash. I bet that will give an instant improvement.

Whatever, I think you've done a great job with him!

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »
thanks for the photography advice, here are some pictures of my setup, its really basic, so as you can see you cant expect much out of it.

the arrow represents were the flash comes from, and also these pictures were taken in broad daylight, the pictures of the miniature were not.
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »
Taste is a funny thing. I like that figure although I haven't bought it.

I like what you've done but I agree that a darker blue wash will lift the cloak,maybe the gw blue wash?

The rest was good and I liked the base neat idea I always play it safe with bases and wish I could stuff like that. :D

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 12:42:29 PM »
thanks for the photography advice, here are some pictures of my setup, its really basic, so as you can see you cant expect much out of it.

You could try and find an angle-poise desk-lamp or similar, which would give you a better control over the intensity and direction of the light. Very cheap from B&Q etc. Failing that simply exchange the normal ceiling light bulb for the daylight version when you want to do some photography. Small cheap tripods are easy to come by for long exposures, or simply set up your own improvised version.

I'm no expert, BTW, just some tips I've picked up over the years  :).

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 01:19:40 PM »
You could try and find an angle-poise desk-lamp or similar, which would give you a better control over the intensity and direction of the light. Very cheap from B&Q etc.

Better stil: buy 3 lamps: I place one to the left, one to the right (= no shadow) and hold one in my left hand to intensify the light going straight to the model.  However, my camera is fixed to a stand when taking these pics.

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/