Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:41:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm Five Parsecs From Home (6mm WIP city added 10/01/15)  (Read 6743 times)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
6mm Five Parsecs From Home (6mm WIP city added 10/01/15)
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:38:59 AM »
Hi all,Greetings,

Inspired by Tiny Solitary Soldiers and Planet Ares IV,  my 6mm skirmish Sci Fi project has finally started moving again.

The intention with this project was always to play a galaxy-trotting adventure similar to Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn and Ravenor. Why 6mm?  Well to me it was a perfect scale to do this in, as I could quickly and easily come up with terrain vastly different from each other to represent the far-flung reaches of the galaxy. Plans include a snowy mountain top research base, a Adeptus Mechanicus manufactorum, and a spaceport ala Mos Eiselly. 6mm allows me to realize these locations without breaking the bank. It is also still a scale where individual characteristics can still be easily recognized, provided they are quality sculpts and well painted. Whole retinues can be put together cheaply, and everything can be packed away in a small space. If I roll up something I don't have painted, it can be easily dealt with in an evening painting. They are also perfect for solo gaming, as it can be played sitting down at the kitchen table.

To begin with, I would like to present my first terrain set. It is a desert world moisture farm, it definitely needs some more buildings but I have a research station almost complete, and some middle eastern buildings from eureka/irregular.

Boards are cork tile, with some scattered sand and some texture hacked in. Fences are flywire mesh, rocks are thicker cork placemats covered in spackle, and buildings are just random junk and old toys.

In my next post I will be detailing my Five Parsecs From Home crew, and their spaceship too.

Cheers,

The Baron
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:58:13 AM by The_Baron »

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: 6mm Five Parsecs From Home
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:11:23 AM »
Nice setting, TheBaron - and very nice work on the individually based 6mm figures, more please!  8) 8) 8)

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
oooh I am watching this now.    8)
Praise Be To Apis!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:01:42 AM »
I'm always impressed whenever I see people skirmishing gaming in 6mm, and even more so when I see the quality of your painting.

I'm also starting my own solo skirmish campaign, but in 15mm. Using some of the generators from Five Parsecs from Home, but using Fantastic Worlds for the game mechanics (I found Five parsecs a little too bland for my likings) and then Mythic for the RPG elements in between.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 03:54:12 PM »
Ooo nice

Where did you get the engines that you are using as buildings?

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
How do you play Five Parsec solitaire ?

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »
Very nice and inspirational, keep us posted!

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 02:36:08 AM »
Thanks all for the kinds words  :D

oooh I am watching this now.    8)
  Some of your stuff is coming up now!

How do you play Five Parsec solitaire ?
This is an interesting question. Fivecore has some very basic rules for it, but perhaps not a full-blown AI. Any suggestions for rules? As it is usual to only activate 2 models a turn from each side (except in scurry and firefight), I think I would lean towards randomising who activates, except where it is super obvious who should. May try and re-read Spacejacker's solo rules Gunstorm/Gut Check for rules too.

I'm always impressed whenever I see people skirmishing gaming in 6mm, and even more so when I see the quality of your painting.

I'm also starting my own solo skirmish campaign, but in 15mm. Using some of the generators from Five Parsecs from Home, but using Fantastic Worlds for the game mechanics (I found Five parsecs a little too bland for my likings) and then Mythic for the RPG elements in between.

Thanks Dijit, I think the rules may be ok for some lighthearted fun. Where it really shines is in the character creation and campaign I think. I was originally going to try to do this as an 'Inquisitor' campaign, so I have really gone completely the other way now. Let us know how you get on with your 15mm crew, love to see them posted here.

Ooo nice

Where did you get the engines that you are using as buildings?
The engines were from a Mathbox plane thing, it is about 150mm long, bright orange, and has little submarines which drop off the sides. Was originally going to use it as some kind of dropship, and may well still do this!

Ok so here is my crew sheet I have rolled up. Remember that I am keeping this in the 40K universe, so have renamed things where appropriate, actual 5Par things are in brackets. Some of the names may be a little familiar hehe. Roster layout is blatantly ripped off from Tiny Solitary Soldiers, hopefully this is ok!

Crew Sheet

And some close up shots of the crew. Holy zoomed image, that's a bit close. Remember these are 6mm ok!

The Xeno-archaeologist: Midas Glaw

The Grifter: Slade Gordon

The Pilot: Kaylee Wash

The Techno-Barbarian: Deathskull

The Muscle: Jayne Korn

The Crew's Ship - 'Traquility'

And a photo of the crew with the ship (It reminds my of Khurusan's excellent 15mm dropship).

Hope you like them!
Cheers,
The Baron
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:38:58 AM by The_Baron »

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:07:45 AM »
uber shiny.

Shame this is not on my own 6mm forum too    ;)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »
uber shiny.

Shame this is not on my own 6mm forum too    ;)

Haha nice one. Will have to pop over and post it there too at some point! Just to reiterate how cool your models are, I mean you can actually tell a 6mm mini is female, that's awesome!

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 12:14:27 AM »
Haha nice one. Will have to pop over and post it there too at some point! Just to reiterate how cool your models are, I mean you can actually tell a 6mm mini is female, that's awesome!

Thanks.
I want to try and show that 6mm is a viable size for skirmish.
I think the female RDF trooper is hotter than the Junker one though!

:-*

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: 6mm Five Parsecs From Home (Crew added 26/11/14)
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 07:05:36 AM »
Nice crew - and ship too  8) 8) 8)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
Re: 6mm Five Parsecs From Home (WIP City added 10/01/15)
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 02:57:04 AM »
Hey all,
I made some really good progress on my modular 6mm city board, the intention is that buildings slot into the gaps, and have the sidewalks on them rather than on the board.

Here you can see the initial layout, the roads are super thin cork, the base is cork tile, and the building bases are small artists canvases

All glued down and gap filled

And finished product

And here is the first scratch built building slotting in. The mess on the ground is part of the board.

6mm Angel Barracks for scale. I tried to paint the windows in multiple colors, to give the impression of neon reflections. It kind of worked, I think I need some brighter paints for it to really work.

... and a sign of things to come...

Hope you like it! Need to get cracking on a bunch more buildings, and have ordered some cheap 6mm cars to clutter it up.

Cheers,
The_Baron
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:59:22 AM by The_Baron »

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
Re: 6mm Five Parsecs From Home (6mm WIP city added 10/01/15)
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
manholes, drains, litter, graffiti, even a little jetty/pier.
wonderful.
simply wonderful.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 6mm Five Parsecs From Home (6mm WIP city added 10/01/15)
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »
I agree ! You made really good scenery, a dream for anyone playing small scale wargames. THis year I'll build something like this for sure !