Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gundam type mecha gaming  (Read 1846 times)

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
Gundam type mecha gaming
« on: November 27, 2014, 04:19:33 PM »
This month I've been watching a lot of Gundam. When I say a lot I mean all of Seed, Destiny, 08th MS team, Unicorn, a bit of Wing and the original Mobile Suit. So what this got to do with the price of lead. Simple, I've got an itch to scratch by doing a few ( a lot ) of games with just mechs. Well just play Battletech or Heavy Gear I hear you say. A good call I say but.... I want to do it in 28mm with more in depth rules and combat. Any ideas for rule and minis from you guys?

Just to point out
a) I like Gundam
b) I don't like Gundams
What I mean is I like the universe and the ethos and the like but to me the Gundam is a little bit silly. The fact that it's a humanoid vehicle that is the ultimate of the ultimate like Metal Gear is the daddy on the dystopian battlefield or the Enterprise is the king of the space lanes and the pride of starfleet. They all have one thing in common. They all end up being replaced by something better even though it had no equals. This is the ultimate Gundam where nothing can beat it. Several generations later this is the ultimate Gumdan with its reactive armour. Actually this is the ultimate Gundam with its interchangeable weapons platforms. Oh Wait this is the ultimate Gundam with its psycho frame. Several decades later. Er no your all wrong. This bad boy is the ultimate with its ability to organise all your CDs alphabetically, by year or band. You can drive it with an xbox controller. It's got reclining seats with twenty beverage holders. Oh and you can jump start the universes second Big Bang with jump leads from the reactor. It's just silly. And why dose a Gundam have a face?

So I know there are Gundam toys/models close to 28mm scale ( 1/48 1/50 1/60 ) I'm not to keen on them so any alternative minis ideas

Many thanks in advance.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum. No wait I've just found another pack in my back pocket. Mmm tropical fruit bubblicious.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Gundam type mecha gaming
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 05:14:59 PM »
Disclaimer: Overall, a bit confused by your goal.

Let's decide what you do like about mecha and what you don't like about mecha.

-Do you like big stompy and slow, or fast and shiny?
-Do you like laser swords and shields and other melee stuff, or a tank platoon's worth of cannons/missiles.
-Do you like humanoid mecha or would you be fine with Dust Tactics style walkers?
-Do you want alien opponents to the mecha, or humans with their own mecha?

In 28mm, at 1/50-1/60 I'm not entirely sure how much gaming you're going to get in with Gundam sized mecha.  Are you planning to play on the floor of your flat, or cram a bunch of huge robots onto a 4'x8' table?  Either way, at 28mm you'll be making your own rules up.  I'm actually starting on a generic mecha rule system but it's not for 28mm scaled mecha (not that detailed).  Mecha based rules though should be easier.  The mechanical limitations of mecha make it easy to use damage charts, or critical hits etc.  Much easier than dealing with complex biological construction.

Maybe roll with something like vehicle cards from 2nd edition 40K where each vehicle had its own hit-location table followed by critical hits etc.  What "other" mecha stuff do you like?  The largest available lines for models will be Macross/Robotech based...some VOTOMS (which I love), maybe some re-released Dougram (Battletech style) kits, and a heap of Gundam stuff. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »
Like elbows says its a bit confusing what you want.

So, these are not so much suggestions as the first things that are popping to my mind.

SAMURAI ROBOTS BATTLE ROYALE by ganesha games. Uses the songs of blades and heroes engine but each body part has its own simple stat block, if your familiar with the system that should be all you need to know. Otherwise, takes a few minutes to get your head around if your used to more conventional games, but then is easy and quick to play and generally much fun.

Mekton zeta. is in fact an RPG, and long out of print (I'm still looking for actual books) but available as PDF. The rules are a very nice simulation of most Anime clichés done right, the Zeta plus book has the most in depth unit creation rules and widespread options I have ever seen for any game. Mekton wars: invasion terra turns it into a war game and has a lot of scenarios in their own setting. This game is very deep, not necessarily perfectly balanced but undoubtedly rich in options. I personally also like the invasion terra setting, its somewhere in between Macross and gundam AGE story wise. All in all I can't say its actually good, but its a bit of a personal favoured.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
How about this?:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gangfightgames/mechadrome

http://www.gangfightgames.com/

Different sized mechs that have no heads and are more like vehicles.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 08:21:42 AM »
Firstly, CDs/Tapes/LPs are to be ordered by Band THEN Year/Release order, excepting "Best Ofs" which sit at the start of the band.

Secondly, Mobile Suit Gundam Battle System is designed for the 1/144 scale model kits and to recreate the 08th MS style grunt-to-grunt combat. I highly recommend it. PM me if you would like a copy.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
I'd agree that it is a bit confusing as to what you are asking about.  In addition to Elbos's excellent questions about models If you can answer the following questions about rules I'm sure we can recommend a set you will like.

1) What level of complexity of rules are you looking for.
Scale of 1-10 with 2 being Song of Blades and Heroes and 9  being Advanced Squad Leader.

2) Do you want ground combat only or some aspect of air combat (flying mechs, flying aircraft, etc..)

3) Do you want any mechs at all?

4) Do you want just mecha or combined arms?

My favorite set of rules for 28mm Mech Combat is "Mech Attack"…
 http://armorgridgames.blogspot.com/p/mech-attack-products.html
...which I scale up from the recommended 15mm scale.  It's very BT in flavor, but it plays in about 1/4 the time with about 1/15th amount of rules.  It has combined arms, but doesn't yet have air combat elements and really tops out at about 10 units per player in a 2 player game.  When I run convention games I usually give each player 3-4 units in a 6-8 player game.