Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:24:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697710
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suitable figures for 'White Fathers' Missionaries  (Read 6273 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Suitable figures for 'White Fathers' Missionaries
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:02:21 PM »
I'm on the search for some figures that can represent Missionaries of Africa, also known as the 'White Fathers', for my Congo Free State project.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=69489.0

They wore white outfits (hence the nickname) and are usually shown with a mantle in photographs. Hat swaps are no concern but I'm looking for something that won't take a lot of effort to get right. I'm pretty unaware of ecclesiastic types out there in the miniature world so any help is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Suitable figures for 'White Fathers' Missionaries
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 01:49:09 AM »
Conquest miniatures makes two Jesuit priests good for any period. If you have ever seen the Movie "Black and White in Color",available on you tube,you will see what I mean.

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:05:05 AM »
Thank you gentlemen, those examples are definitely a good place to start.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
A bit pricey but these might suit, with some work...

http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/spanish-inquisition-resin

There's always the Perry crusader pilgrims that have been used for many periods.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »
"
I'm on the search for some figures that can represent Missionaries of Africa, also known as the 'White Fathers', for my Congo Free State project"

Hello..i was also interested in that kind of project....i have a very rare, antiquarian book, "l'Histoire Militaire du Congo - Explorations, Expeditions, Opérations de Guerre et Faits Militaires" by A. Lejeune-Choquet" , Bruxelles 1906- which relate in full details the anti slaves military campaigns lead by Missionaires, in fact true armies organised by them, VS the Arabs slavers and their allies in the Congo. Among those Crhistian soldiers where also a pair of former Pontifical Zouaves who participated at the Battle of Mentana of 1867! who knows if they still had conserved  their performing Remington Rolling Block rifles with Papal emblem?
AS i had the same need of monk/priest figures..(until WW1 priest in their typical dress assisted, also as medics, the Italian soldiers), for other scenarios like Adua..i was envisaging to ask irregular to sell me a pair of monks for their Carroccio wagon...they usually are very kind and, for that sort of projects, their figures are useful and cheap..
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:40:03 AM by italwars »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 10:29:47 AM »
Ah, forgot about them  8)

cheers

James

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »
A bit pricey but these might suit, with some work...

They're definitely on the pricey side but I've been wanting them for a while for 40K Inquisition. I don't play anymore but I still collect certain forces for some odd reason. Maybe I'll pop for them.

Would these fellows be of any use?

Those guys are pretty neat! They all appear to be armed though- the White Fathers were quite pacifist, at least according to their writings and as concerned themselves. That didn't stop them from having mercenaries, armed auxiliairies, and attempting to create their own armies :) They look useful nonetheless. The policy was to prohibit the Fathers from bearing arms- the rare occasions when they did got the Fathers massacred or dismissed.

I have a very rare, antiquarian book, "l'Histoire Militaire du Congo - Explorations, Expeditions, Opérations de Guerre et Faits Militaires" by A. Lejeune-Choquet" , Bruxelles 1906- which relate in full details the anti slaves military campaigns lead by Missionaires, in fact true armies organised by them, VS the Arabs slavers and their allies in the Congo. Among those Christian soldiers where also a pair of former Pontifical Zouaves who participated at the Battle of Mentana of 1867! who knows if they still had conserved  their performing Remington Rolling Block rifles with Papal emblem?

Interesting topic! There's not a great deal of primary source information on the Congo Free State and White Fathers in English (compared to British areas anyway). I read Cross & Flag in Africa which was quite good although I think a little biased. It doesn't go into great detail about the military actions but it does mention Papal Zouaves a bit- several were recruited for guarding caravans and establishing missions. I didn't see anything about what they wore but I suspect it was along the lines of other Europeans, which seemed to be whatever they wanted :)  Could be they had their old uniforms to impress the locals from time to time though :) One former zouave, Captain Joubert, is shown in a couple photographs but doesn't appear to be officially uniformed. I believe I read that he was later commissioned by the Free State to lend some legitimacy to his actions.

How about the short lived 'Armed Brothers of the Sahara' that Cardinal Lavigerie formed? They've got flair- pith helmets, capes, emblem... :)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 07:31:23 PM »
Very nice colour plate!....
indeed for the appearance of Askaris and their white leaders on the Missionary's  "Private Armies" fighting arabs in Congo, i'm almost sure there are a pair of a specific B&W drawing on one of those Foundry Books from Chris Peers...maybe the one on Central Africa...as i have loaned not only but 3 of them to a friend :'( from almot 2 month...i'm not able at the moment to check it

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »
Private armies of this period are always interesting  :)

cheers

James

Offline folnjir

• Scientist

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 07:00:49 AM »
Does anyone have the warlord/conquest games Jesuit priests? ordered them off warlord but they won't be shipped until Blood on the Nile is out and looking at that pick i'm curious, is the hat on the priest wearing it separate? it looks to be so and that gives me a few ideas if it is...

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 06:15:40 PM »
Does anyone have the warlord/conquest games Jesuit priests? ordered them off warlord but they won't be shipped until Blood on the Nile is out and looking at that pick i'm curious, is the hat on the priest wearing it separate? it looks to be so and that gives me a few ideas if it is...

No, I haven't received them. I order the Blood on the Nile as well :)

Looks like whoever did the editing on the picture got a little overzealous with the eraser tool- weird white line overlapping the right figure.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 04:26:27 AM »
Yup, somebodies hand slipped but it was just before lunch/clocking out so he/she called it a day by the looks of it  lol