Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:01:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Your recommendation for best ("Shinest") metallic paint?  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Your recommendation for best ("Shinest") metallic paint?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 06:04:32 PM »
Flexi File works great too!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »
I barely have any older figures, so I doubt there's much lead in my collection - just white metal, some of which is surprisingly hard. Unless you were talking more generally about metal minis of a variety of compositions?

It was a more general comment, yes.

That said, some bigger figure companies still use lead in their sculpts though. The old Wyrd Miniatures metals, Infinity figures, and I think the old Rackham sculpts all had some lead and a softer overall composition than the newer tin-pewters favoured by Privateer Press and Games Workshop for example.

Still, if you're polishing only, you're probably better off with something as mildly abrasive as possible anyway. I also wonder if a fine polishing paste would help? Apply a tiny amount of Brasso or such to the model before using the nylon Dremel brush for example?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »
Hmmmm, something to consider. Though I haven't had any really big issues with the steel brush and the nylon one is not available in the hardware stores near me (trying to avoid mail ordering single dremel bits). The brass one isn't always around, but I've seen it sometimes.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 10:35:50 AM »
Bunping this for a quick request.

As I mentioned, the liquid gold is fantastic stuff, but I wouldn't use it all the time because it's much more complicated to use and can't be blended directly with any of my regular acrylics. For silver/steel in regular uncomplicated acrylics, the Vallejo Model Air Aluminium was best and works great. What I'm wondering is which gold colour is on par with the Model Air Aluminium?

I thought I would try another Model Air, but Vallejo claims their model air Shining Brass is the brightest - but when I actually look at the paint on the tip it seems quite dark. I looked at the regular Vallejo model colours and the plan, ordinary "Gold" seems bright, but I'm not sure I can't do better.

Rather than my buying three or four bottles to experiment with, does anyone have a specific bright gold suggestion?

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 10:43:05 AM »
Bunping this for a quick request.

As I mentioned, the liquid gold is fantastic stuff, but I wouldn't use it all the time because it's much more complicated to use and can't be blended directly with any of my regular acrylics. For silver/steel in regular uncomplicated acrylics, the Vallejo Model Air Aluminium was best and works great. What I'm wondering is which gold colour is on par with the Model Air Aluminium?

I thought I would try another Model Air, but Vallejo claims their model air Shining Brass is the brightest - but when I actually look at the paint on the tip it seems quite dark. I looked at the regular Vallejo model colours and the plan, ordinary "Gold" seems bright, but I'm not sure I can't do better.

Rather than my buying three or four bottles to experiment with, does anyone have a specific bright gold suggestion?

Not talking Liquid Gold which is it's own animal, chemically speaking.  But have you tried to lighten up a gold by mixing in a touch of silver?  Go slow and keep adding until you get the lightness you want.... :D

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
I do that all the time, but I like to have a bright gold to work with on its own.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
I do that all the time, but I like to have a bright gold to work with on its own.

In their reg line, VMC has 2 golds, their reg and I think a burnished one.