Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:29:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Images Needed Ancient Rome  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Images Needed Ancient Rome
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »
For my next project I'm going to be building a small section of Ibyssia for a Broadsword Adventures game. Ibyssia is based a little on Ancient Rome with a healthy dose of Conan and other fantasy elements.

Right now I am looking for images of the less "temple/forum-centric" parts of the city. I'd like to see what the homes and markets looked like. I've been searching the web for the last two days with little luck as most of the images show the well known areas or ruins of the other areas.

Right now I have a mix of buildings I am going to start with including the Miniature Building Authority mosque as a temple and some Brigade Games Spanish buildings as some of the smaller houses. I would like to build a bunch more so any reference photos I can get access would be greatly appreciated.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Images Needed Ancient Rome
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:21:36 PM »
Look up reconstructions of Pompeii. That might be useful.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:48:50 PM »
DOH!

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the one that eludes me. Your suggestion netted me a half dozen good images that I'll be using for reference.

Thanks!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:46:11 PM »
Wow, a result.............  Glad to be of service. ;)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:45:52 PM »
I would have suggested the same but another thing came into my mind: Asterix comics! Especially the one where the Romans try to civilize our little viallage by building a satelite city right next to it. There are some rather good drawings of insulae in there.

Okay - now where do you get this comic book? No idea if it's popular in the US...
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 04:34:31 AM »
Weird! Second time I've had a post go missing! I posted one from work this afternoon between joroas' first one and Operator5's reply and saw it in the listings.  Now, it's gone!  :?   ???
Anyway...I had suggested trying to find a couple of books.  One is Peter Connolly's 'Pompeii', which is chock-full of beautiful colour artwork and photos regarding the lost city.  The other is David Macaulay's brilliant 'City - A Story of Roman Planning and Construction'.  It's a study of the construction of a Roman city from ground survey to completion, done in nice, clear, black and white drawings.  Both authors do similar books in the same vein.  Connolly has a whole series of them on Greece and Rome while Macaulay does ones on a Castle, Cathedral, Mill and Pyramid, among others.  Now, lets see if this post stays where it's sent!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 11:49:29 PM »
Stay, boy!  ;D