Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:40:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval German or Flemish mercenaries  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Medieval German or Flemish mercenaries
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2024, 05:43:46 PM »
It was a long time ago now, so I’m not entirely sure  lol

I think I just took the colour scheme from the flag of Flanders, which (among a myriad of other flags and arms of Flanders thrown up by Google) included, fairly prominently, a black lion rampant with red claws and tongue, on a yellow field. (Per the banner I painted on this company of mercenaries).

Hence the black and yellow parti-coloured livery coats, with a flash of red across the chest. Probably not very historical, but they look nice, so who cares really? ;)

I’m afraid I’ve long been a shameful advocate for things on the wargames table which look right rather than which necessarily are right :)

I have been looking for information / inspiration for a WotR Flemish contingent and stumbled upon these rather splendid fellows.

Although you say ‘entirely fictional’ I would be interested to know what your sources were for a staring point for these.

Cheers
JJ

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2024, 06:37:42 PM »
That makes sense to me. I would like to follow your lead there, although I may omit the horizontal red bar 🤔

I like the blue-ish black too …

Cheers
JJ

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2024, 11:37:47 AM »
Thinking … on this basis, would it be fair to represent Breton mercenaries with a black cross on a white ground?

Cheers
JJ

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2024, 11:47:31 AM »
Thinking … on this basis, would it be fair to represent Breton mercenaries with a black cross on a white ground?

Cheers
JJ

It's unlikely that foreign mercenaries would be wearing their 'national livery', if such a thing existed.
The best example is Burgundians fighting in England during the WOTR - it is extremely unlikely that they would be wearing Burgundian liveries. So they would be wearing either the liveries of their English employer (perhaps just a sash/bend rather than a full jacket, 'uniformed' on a budget), or no liveries at all.
So that wouid extend to French, Bretons, etc.

I'm assuming you're talking about using Flemish or Breton mercenaries in a WOTR project?

Now of course there is always the 'rule of cool' - if you want your foreign mercenaries to look distinct by giving them unique colour schemes, then go for it!

And putting them in their employer's liveries, i.e. the same as all your English troops, might be a bit boring.

Personally if I was doing this, I'd put the foreign mercenaries in no liveries - meaning they can be in a mix of any old colours you want, looking distinctly un-uniform alongside their slightly smarter English friends in their livery jackets.
Or, if you want to play with some green stuff, you could give them sashes / bends in their employer's livery colours. So if they were fighting for the Yorkists, perhaps some murray & blue sashes. Easily discarded if they suddenly realise they are working for the losing side ; )

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2024, 04:12:18 PM »
I'm assuming you're talking about using Flemish or Breton mercenaries in a WOTR project?

I am! And your post comprehensively covers all the angles I have considered.

In the midst of around 200 assorted English figures there will be four small contingents (eight figures each) of mercenaries armed with hand guns and crossbows, in addition to the crews for the cannons.

Differentiation and visual interest leans me towards the ‘rule of cool’, but the purist in me isn’t so sure.

I am going to need some captains, so the idea of giving these figures bends appeals to me.

Food for thought, thank you.

Cheers
JJ

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2024, 12:57:14 PM »
It was a long time ago now, so I’m not entirely sure  lol

I think I just took the colour scheme from the flag of Flanders, which (among a myriad of other flags and arms of Flanders thrown up by Google) included, fairly prominently, a black lion rampant with red claws and tongue, on a yellow field. (Per the banner I painted on this company of mercenaries).

Hence the black and yellow parti-coloured livery coats, with a flash of red across the chest. Probably not very historical, but they look nice, so who cares really? ;)

I’m afraid I’ve long been a shameful advocate for things on the wargames table which look right rather than which necessarily are right :)

Imo this is the way to do it. Not completly simular, but what I mostly do. I open google maps. Go to the area I am interested in. Click on the cities, villages and etc.. read the history and what their coat of arms is and re-use part of it for a flag or shield. Thus for Flemish or Brabancons mercenaries I would look to the villages that belonged to the county of Flanders or Duchy of Brabant and use a part of that village/city coat of arms.  :).