Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:20:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mordheim reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated  (Read 7934 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Mordheim reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 09:13:25 AM »
Now to TT mordheim how is the campaign system? Is it quickly unbalanced with 2 players?

Not at all! In fact we always felt that 2 players was the most balanced, as both bands grow at about the same pace. There is a "underdog" bonus that warbands with a lower rating gain when facing one with a higher rating, thus allowing them to eventually pull even in theory. But if you have players who play often and players who play less they might never catch up, always staying the underdog, with 2 players no such problem.
There is a mechanism for hiring special characters for a one of, building up a decent stable of these for the group can allows you to surprise your opponent a bit with a unexpected element.
In the end the campaign play is its own balancing system, sure you might have this one big guy who rolled all the best stat upgrades and can rip trough opponent without much trouble, but this is still a d6 based system and lucky rolls happen on both sides, if the opponent goes gunning for your big guy your still going to fear for his life, he might actually turn up dead permanently. In fact in our group the players with established bands tended to play far more restrained and "routed" their warband more often to protect their biggest assets.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »
I did indeed buy the comp game and I personally think at this very early stage I am happy to put my hand up and say the finished game should be a blast.

I also downloaded the rules a few weeks ago and am giving some thought to using it for our traction cities game when we want a straight up skirmish game instead of CROM adventures.

I too got the early access to the computer game.  I'd like to echo Skurvs comments. When it's finished it should be a lot of fun.

As for the TT game. I just don't want to play warhammer rules any more. I can't imagine it would he hard to use the campaign mode adapted for use with a different battle ruleset.

The new fantasy buildings from 4ground look tailor made for Mordheim.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 09:03:18 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread.

As someone who didn't know/play Mordhiem first time around it is good to know about some of those sites and supplements. When i see threads like Masons Krappefortt one I become very inspired to play this game. I've also considered using the SoBH rules but in a Mordhiem setting and IIRC there are some conversions for that out there.

Cheers
Kieran

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 03:14:30 AM »
Certainly not dead. Just ran a one day campaign today. Lots of fun!

The computer game has actually surprised me. As it is a tech demo alpha/proof of purpose I didn't expect too much, but it already has good mechanics that work, with a bit of work on the camera aspects and adding in stability and campaign it should be good fun. Is it Mordheim, no not really. Is it fun and gets the same setting, yes!

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 07:26:28 AM »
Those who mention conversion to another rulse set, though this may be possible one of the most fun parts about mordheim is growing your characters and seeing your warband develop, it is my understanding that there are not a huge amount of games out there that use as many stats as the warhammer (Mordheim uses Warhammer 6th edition rules I believe) rules, therefore it is likely that some very heavy modification will be required in order to have character advancement without developing too fast.

Also the skills you could choose will obviously require some heavy modification as they are all designed with GW stats in mind.

I haven't played a GW game in a very long time now, (Unfortunately, I would love to still be playing Mordheim, Necromunda or even GorkaMorka). But in my opinions the GW stats work well for skirmish games and Mordheim is no exception. Perhaps a D10 / 20 system would alow for more progression but IMO that would only be relevent if you were intent on having hundreds of games in your campaign, you don't want to have things progress too slow for 10-20 games.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 08:03:33 AM »
I have been slowly getting a Mordheim project going for my pals, I've been concentrating on scenery building before miniatures. However having seen the new Crooked Dice Seventh Voyage medieval and witch-hunting supplements we may end up playing Mordheim with Seventh Voyage rules!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 09:10:14 AM »
*Snipped*

I'm afraid I have to confirm most of this. all models have a relatively broad stat line, and thus allow for many direction of growth with a decent granularity. Personally I felt that some of the stats and rules were clearly meant for mass combat and not skirmish with a few of the translation for warhammer to mordheim being less then perfect.
To list, and I must admit that it has been quite a while playing so I might be mistaking things here.  ::)
* Armor saves, they work OK for mass combat where they balance out with a number of throws, but as a "save or suck" effect on a single model as in mordheim it never felt right to us, also very expansive to equip models with armor even tough you often simply failed that roll.
* wound effects, a model can be knocked down or taken out (and more effects?) without there being any real connection between the reason for the wound.

I really should re-read to rules in order to give a better review as it really has been too long. I like Maxxev's mention of mayhabs using a d10 system. I would be game for writing a fan adoption of the rules addressing some of the gripes.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 11:36:27 PM »
I play to mordheim from about two years because I'm lucky: I've found a nice guy that love this game as me and is willing to drive about 62.1 km (45minutes of driving) to come to my house for play.  :D For some time we played regularly one time each week (one week we played 3 times!)
We played about three campaigns (9 scenarios each) and several simple scenarios. Now we are playing a new campaign with another new younger player (I think he is 22-23 years old while we are 36 years old) I converted some months ago. We just played yesterday ;)

Maybe some mordheim rules are not perfects, but to play the campaigns is funny and I enjoy to see my warbands to get experience, wounds and much more  :D

Probably the game will still survive until the warhammer background will be alive, and could still last some years if the gw will vanishes too.