Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:12:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stoke Field 1487  (Read 47671 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Stoke Field 1487
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
Scrope to Masham!

(Sorry, I can never say any of these names without the echoes of 'Kingmaker' sounding in my head :))

Lovely command stand Gangleri, well done  :-*

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2015, 11:16:38 PM »
Ah, I get you now... and yes it was common for 'heraldic' puns to be made with regard to badges and liveries etc.  With 'black' featuring in mercenary circles quite a bit, I might bet a small amount of money that Schwartz would use black somewhere too.

Yes, I was thinking of that too  :)  I wonder if anyone has ever counted how many different "Black Bands" there were.  But surely none of them could have punned (or canted, I suppose) as fittingly as Schwartz.

By coincidence the de la Poles were originally wool merchants a couple of generations back too.

It's funny, one of my favorite badges from this time is Lord Hastings' maunch, and I was always sorry I couldn't work it into the army somehow.  Do you know how it came to be attached to Hastings?  Was it through the cloth trade?  His father was a knight, but I couldn't find out if there was any link to the trade somewhere along the line.

Scrope to Masham!

(Sorry, I can never say any of these names without the echoes of 'Kingmaker' sounding in my head :))

Lovely command stand Gangleri, well done  :-*

Thanks very much, Captain.  It's funny, I can't help but hear "Scrope of Masham" in Brian Blessed's voice  :)

"I arrest thee of high treason by the name of Henry, Lord Scope of Masham!" *yank  *slap
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2015, 10:07:33 AM »
It's funny, one of my favorite badges from this time is Lord Hastings' maunch, and I was always sorry I couldn't work it into the army somehow.  Do you know how it came to be attached to Hastings?  Was it through the cloth trade?  His father was a knight, but I couldn't find out if there was any link to the trade somewhere along the line.

The maunch was a detachable sleeve from a lady's dress and films like Ivanhoe to the contrary, it would be one of these that a lady would give to 'her champion' to tie on his arm in a tournament, not a handkerchief (though where I come from sleeves and handkerchiefs are pretty much the same thing). So no obvious link to trade, but I'd imagine the family made money from sheep at a distance.

The Hastings family got about, they started off in Falaise with William 'the Marshal' de Venoix, whose son was bailiff of Hastings, from which the family name derives. The first 'noble' member of the family (Henry de Hastings) was created baron by Simon de Montfort... although apparently that 'did not count' officially. Nevertheless his mother was one of King David of Scotland's daughters (and her mother Matilda of Chester was a cousin of Henry I), so they weren't commoners by any means before then. They are connected with various places round the Midlands, so while they never rose to earldoms until 'Our William', they were pretty damn wealthy for all that... and probably owned a lot of sheep.  

Fitzalan to Chirk! Kingmaker - Best board game ever!  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2015, 11:12:21 AM »
Fitzalan to Chirk! Kingmaker - Best board game ever!  :D

:)

Aye.

(Unless you were Warden of the Northern Marches, when you never got to do anything for being constantly summoned!)

Thanks very much, Captain.  It's funny, I can't help but hear "Scrope of Masham" in Brian Blessed's voice  :)

"I arrest thee of high treason by the name of Henry, Lord Scope of Masham!" *yank  *slap

lol

'Chiswick! Fresh horses!'

Still the best of the Blackadders for me :)

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2015, 06:51:37 PM »
I am pleased to present for your viewing pleasure the English contingent of the Yorkist army!

This third of the army is now complete.  Well, as complete as these projects can get - I already have plans to add a few scurrers.  Next on the list are the Germans - only about ten of them to convert/paint before I can put them on parade as well.

I don't want to overdo this post with photos, but there are a few more shots of the individual bases on my blog.

Hope they are to your liking.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2015, 06:32:54 AM »
An impressive array you have there, well done!  :)

I don't want to overdo this post with photos...

No, you've lost me there... I'm not getting what you mean. What does 'overdo with photos' mean?  :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2015, 09:32:05 AM »
An impressive array you have there, well done!  :)

They do look great  :-* :-* :-*

Darrell.

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2015, 11:19:30 PM »
Hello, folks.  I caught my yearly cold this past weekend, but a liberal internal application of hot whiskey gave me a boost of energy, and I was able to paint another pavise-toting crossbowman (my last pavise for a while, sadly).

The design is copied largely from a Bohemian pavise featuring Venus displaying her goods:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/c2/f6/49c2f6e157dab7faa0528adb5cb19d78.jpg

Also, did some rather crude GS work on the next batch of pikemen and hope to get some paint on them soon as well.

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
Excellent stuff, love this thread !

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2015, 12:26:42 AM »
Your execution on the pavise is excellent (and on such a small "canvas").

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »
ThePavise is very nice freehand indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
Well, it's been about a year since I started this plog, and to commemorate the approximate anniversary, I can present to you the finished German contingent:

The centerpiece is of course the pike block.

I tried to make it look as though the men were just getting the order to lower their pikes as they advanced towards the Royalist van.

I must say I am very relieved at not having to paint another pikeshaft.  :D

And here's the army all together.  Not the best picture but whatever.

Next up are the Irish.  The Galloglass and the men from the Pale will be on hold until the Prery French infantry kit comes out, but I hope to begin the kern shortly.

A few more photos on my blog.

Cheers!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
The 'German' contingent is looking every bit as good as the English contingent  :-* :-* :-*

Darrell.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »
That is one very nice looking army!!
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/