Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain for BOB  (Read 3828 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Terrain for BOB
« on: September 06, 2008, 03:54:07 PM »
What's the standard terrain for a BOB game?  Desert?  Grass?  I basically have a whole rocky desert terrain set up and a bunch of Middle eastern Adobe buildings that we use for Afghanistan, etc.. Are these appropriate or should the buildings be more "Asian?" 

Thanks

AX

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Terrain for BOB
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
It depends where you are.

If you are within and around Gobi desert then the landscape is more or less like desert, although there are distinctive places of high erosion. These have distinctive red and yellowish colours. I suggest anyhow to ignore them.

If the population is Arab style then you can use adobes as well. I also suggest to use more elaborated painted schemes.

If you go to areas that the population is mixed, then you have to mix Chinese, Indian, Mongol etc buildings and yurts. So, think that you are in the Arab quarters and you may be right.

Checking for images at Google for Samarqand, Kashgar, Gobi desert or Silk Road will give you some more inspiration.

Anyhow our hobby is also fantasy and also not all of us have a lot of funds to produce dedicated terrain pieces for every part of the world our adventures bring us. The best is to compromise a little. Use your terrain pieces and just add small spots to have variety.

Hope I helped you
argsilverson

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »
I'm going for a board of grass with sandy / rocky bits.

I was going to use undulating bits of ground with sparse trees and scrubby bushes.

I'm in the middle of making a walled town using a mixture of buildings inspired by Monoliths Chinese and Adobe buidings.

My gaming is certain to be set in Sinlkiang so from what I understand that should be ok.

Hope thats ok

Dodge

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:17:07 AM »
I'm going for a board of grass with sandy / rocky bits.

I was going to use undulating bits of ground with sparse trees and scrubby bushes.

I'm in the middle of making a walled town using a mixture of buildings inspired by Monoliths Chinese and Adobe buidings.

My gaming is certain to be set in Sinlkiang so from what I understand that should be ok.

Hope thats ok

Dodge

that sounds good. pics please!

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:21:37 AM »

that sounds good. pics please!

Bugger! you mean I've actually got to get on and do it now.

You see I liked how it looked in my head and now I've got to go and do it

Bugger  lol

Dodge

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:29:46 AM »

Of course you have  :D

Part of the charm of this place - sooner or later someone will demand you to show the stuff you're ramblin' about  ;)  I have have a 2'x2' pyramid in my head that I have to get started on somewhen during this fall/winter - and I've also uttered plans of building a 2x2 'sand-board' for desert gaming - both projects my mind spawned some time ago, and eventually.....  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:32:29 AM »

Of course you have  :D

Part of the charm of this place - sooner or later someone will demand you to show the stuff you're ramblin' about  ;)  I have have a 2'x2' pyramid in my head that I have to get started on somewhen during this fall/winter - and I've also uttered plans of building a 2x2 'sand-board' for desert gaming - both projects my mind spawned some time ago, and eventually.....  ::)

Yup that eventually......... word is a real pain in the arse.

Still a challenge is a challenge Dodge is now inspired to finally crack on and do it.

Dodge

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 04:28:21 PM »
You could do worse than use this as a basis. Some fantastic photos for scenery and buildings
http://blog.doncroner.com/
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains