Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:46:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690837
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shopping Mall  (Read 6836 times)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Shopping Mall
« on: September 06, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »
Already on Frothers, but in case you are interested in this sort of thing, and don't wander over there:

Decided recently to build a Shopping Mall as somewhere for my survivors to hide/ransack, and my zombies to go when they fancy some fresh meat. 

My terrain boards are based on 12mm MDF, either 2'x2', or 2'x4', and rather than go for something that would sit on top of these, the plan is to have a modular Mall, with separate self-contained buildings, but linked by a skywalk (impressive name for something that probably won't look quite as grand).

The ground floor, at least, is pretty sturdy - the exterior walls are 6mm MDF, with foamcore and plasticard used internally to reduce weight.  Its sturdy, as a) its going to have a second storey, and b) i have three young kids that like to play with "dad's toys".

I added H-girders to the entrances, because i wanted to be able to slot different doors in (for when they get destroyed by a zombie horde, or ramraider.

External walls are covered in textured plasticard (with drainpipes etc to cover up the joins) internal walls are paint.

Initially, i'd planned for 4 shop units in this ground floor module, but reduced it to a bar, restrooms, and a staircase to the upper floor - wanted to have a big open space which i can add clutter to later on.

Staircase is foamboard, with some plasticard and some greenry to hide the mess!

Bar furniture is from Frontline, and the bar stools are from 4D Models, as are the toilets, sinks, and urinals.

So far, so good - finished the ground floor module, next up will be the upper storey, once i clear a few more minis off of my lead pile.  :)

Offline Maenoferren

• Bookworm
    • Triple Ace Games
Re: Shopping Mall
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »
I really like how this is beginning to look... one thing that I feel (and this is only a personal niggle) is the safe in the bar...it looks out of place in that location.
I really like the idea of changeable doors... :D

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 09:49:04 PM »
Very nice!. I especially like the use of the girders make changing doors easy.

Luckyjoe

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:30:22 PM »
Thirded! Great idea on the doors.

And the toilet area looks good too. lol

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:37:57 PM »
Fourthed, there is a lot of potential here.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 02:25:13 AM »
Very nice.

I'd use it for some SWAT action in a shot.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 05:47:58 AM »
Great start.  I see what Maenoferren is saying about the safe, I would put in an office and storage room for the Bar but seeing that you’re going for game playing and not an architectural design its fine.  I am looking forward to your progression.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 08:33:52 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys - i know what you mean about the safe - bandit hit the nail on the head though, i'm intentionally trying to avoid lots of little rooms, as it reduces game play.

I included it because for non-zombie games (i know some people will find it hard to believe that i play anything else), the safe can be an objective marker....besides, as it is behind the bar, it might turn out to be a pimped up fridge.... ;)

Will keep you posted, when i get around to starting the next floor....

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 02:37:09 AM »
That's awesome. Post more pics as it comes along. And the H beams for swapping out doors is brilliant.

Offline Snate56

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 08:25:35 AM »
Great work!
And a great idea!
One thing though, most malls have a lot more glass; you need to see into the stores and restaurants to lure customers in.
Of course, I don't know how much you want to do, but the diner's walls are a bit barren. I'd add a dark wood panneling around the walls at about elbow level, then really go to town with the celebrity photos and 50's posters.

Man! Now you got me goin'.  lol
I used to work security at a big mall and now I've got to make some models of where I used to work!

SteveN

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 09:42:37 AM »
Cheers!  Probably can't see it too well on the last photo, but there are H-beams on the bar entrance as well - gives me the option of having a glass frontage later on if i want it.
 ;)
As with all these things, i'll keep adding more clutter, and more stuff on the walls as i go along - didn't want to use up all the space now, incase i have a brainwave later on - i also need to put some signage up, but again, i'm saving that for a rainy day.

Wait a minute - you were a Mall Ninja ?
 :o

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 01:48:13 PM »
I think this is phantastick  8) :o

I'll wait for the Worldworks Mega Mall, rather than starting such an endeavour, though... I'm lazy and have not much time for modelling, anyway  :?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Snate56

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 05:00:56 AM »
Wait a minute - you were a Mall Ninja ?
 :o

Yup! lol
I know where all of the back corridors go and what's behind the unmarked doors! What happens when the sprinkler system goes off, and how to get on the roof!
BwaHaHaHa!

Man, I would love to make a model of the mall i was in but it was half a mile long.

SteveN

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 10:49:08 PM »
OK, made some progress on the Mall today - no new boards, actually a "slight" rejig of the existing one, and a major change in the design "philosophy" (erm...the plan).

First up, remodelled the stairs to the second level - now take up half the space, and are steeper, more like normal stairs (stairs need some filler to smooth out the grain).

Secondly, i've gone from wanting to stack additional floors ontop of one another, to having more of a "stadium" effect - ie the game spreads out with play areas on different levels.  Will still have base modules, such as the first one completed, but it means that additional second storey rooms can be tacked on as and when they are constructed (and can be moved around to change the layout).

Have begun to add a skywalk to the base module - obviously needs painting, plus some safety barriers, but should give you an idea of what i'm planning.  This first part is fixed to the base module - additional parts can be added, again to change the layout, but i wanted this to become a permanent feature.

The skywalk continues outside of two of the walls, so not only does it provide another level internally, but can be used to link this base module to other (current non-existent) base modules and also act as a link for the additional second storey modules, or which more later.

As you can see, my construction methods & materials are a bit primitive compared to some, but it makes for a robust model, which is a consideration with 3 small kids.  The new stairs are a lightweight balsawood, the skywalk is 6mm MDF rather than foamboard (all materials i had to hand, and so hasn't cost a penny).

On the right-hand side of this last picture, you can see the smallest of the modules that will be added - already has a small lip to indicate the exterior walls - may add something a little higher (but not full height), to give more definition, but not overly restrict the view.  The lack of any raised areas for sidewalks also, luckily, avoids causing complications with the location of the add-on buildings.

Is slightly higher than the skywalk, hopefully adding to the feeling of different levels - downside of course is that i need to construct either more steps, or a slope....

Thats all for now, took 2 hours to do a simple little job like this, this afternoon, but most of that involved scratching my head thinking about what i wanted to do, and how i was going to do it - like i say this project is evolving as i go along!  :)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 11:15:53 PM »
Looking good.

The bar/cafe might do with something extra - pinball table or juke-box perhaps.

How about an escalator ?
Possibly a fountain or similar.

One of those small information stands with a colour coded map "You are here". Do the map much bigger than your playing area and it implies that you are merely on the edge of the mall (or in the middle) and the rest is just off table.....

Perhaps an entrance/foyer/box office for a cinema....

A trolley park. Perhaps not - how would you make the trolleys.

So many options. 
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)