Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:34:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690523
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Watched Topic Replies arriving with Links Broken in Gmail under Firefox 34.0  (Read 8236 times)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Since December 01 / 2014 email notifications for Lead Adventure topics I'm watching or have replied to have arrived with links that don't work.

Here is an example of a 'dead' link:
Code: [Select]
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=66623.new;topicseen#newIn the email notice this appears as just text; an address only in the body of the email.

But if I edit the link by adding an 's' to the "http" in the address and forward it to myself, Gmail serves-up a bright blue, underlined hotlink.

Here is that same link, but now 'live':
Code: [Select]
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=66623.new;topicseen#new
This is something that only affects my Lead Adventure notices. Notifications from other forums are functioning normally, but their links start with 'https:'.

That said, some forums that I have frequented for years recently had their email notifications broken and I (gasp!) no longer get any email from them.  :'(  I wonder if the culprit isn't that wee 's'... :`

I'm running Gmail under Firefox 64.0
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Ack....  :? Apparently it's not as simple as that.

Not all the links I try editing like this end up working, instead generating a 'Secure Connection' error: Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long

*sigh* First one worked. Now this.  >:(

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Hi, my impression would be that GMail under Firefox only allows "working outgoing links" if they are via an SSL-encrypted connection, hence the https.

The forum doesn't support SSL login as far as I know, so the links generated for PMs and notifications will just have an http address.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Thanks Chris, that makes sense.

But, Lead Adventure's links have worked since I joined back in '08 and only stopped working days ago, this Dec. 1rst.

The Gmail Http vs Https thing is old, although they tweaked the option to turn it off this last March.

I'm curious what caused the change earlier this week.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Thanks Chris, that makes sense.

But, Lead Adventure's links have worked since I joined back in '08 and only stopped working days ago, this Dec. 1rst.

The Gmail Http vs Https thing is old, although they tweaked the option to turn it off this last March.

I'm curious what caused the change earlier this week.

Well, we didn't change anything regarding the forum software, so it might have to do with the update to Firefox 34, which I think went live around that date?

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
I wouldn't be surprised... But I had the problem before my Firefox updated, and hoped the update would fix it, but it didn't. Doesn't mean the problem isn't server-side though.

Over the last few months Fields of Fire, The Guild and now Lead Adventure have all gone somehow buggy for myself and for others where email and notifications are concerned.

It's fine to buck-up and just get on with it, but not everyone will know they can (or bother to) highlight and right-click that broken link in their email to follow a watched topic.

At least Lead Adventure emails are arriving. Notifications from the other two forums are lost in the ether. I swear internets, everything is ruined, just ruined.  ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
I wouldn't be surprised... But I had the problem before my Firefox updated, and hoped the update would fix it, but it didn't. Doesn't mean the problem isn't server-side though.

Over the last few months Fields of Fire, The Guild and now Lead Adventure have all gone somehow buggy for myself and for others where email and notifications are concerned.

It's fine to buck-up and just get on with it, but not everyone will know they can (or bother to) highlight and right-click that broken link in their email to follow a watched topic.

At least Lead Adventure emails are arriving. Notifications from the other two forums are lost in the ether. I swear internets, everything is ruined, just ruined.  ;)

I agree, we'll look into it, but as said, on our side, we are not aware of any changes done by us or by the provider. But as you say, that isn't to say there's nothing here to cause the issues.

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
I am having the same issue in Google Chrome.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Ta Chris, hope I've not started a fruitless session of combing-through-code.  o_o

I am having the same issue in Google Chrome.
Chrome, too! Sorry to hear it.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
I guess it's been some sort of security update on the Firefox or Gmail. A similar issue is going to pop up on my sied every time any email is landing in the Spam/junk-box. I'm not able to click on the links. Maybe checking of the security settings of your browser could help.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
I use firefox (34.0 now, was 33 when I originally typed this) and Gmail at home and Chrome and gmail on my ipad and chromebook. No problems with either.
I know that doesn't help.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:29:58 AM by matakishi »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
I use Google Chrome & Gmail and my links no longer come through clickable. I can highlight and go to the oiption but it is all a pain.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
I use firefox (34.0 now, was 33 when I originally typed this) and Gmail at home and Chrome and gmail on my ipad and chromebook. No problems with either.
I know that doesn't help.

Actually, maybe it does. Certainly supports the idea that the problem may be a security setting or change to Gmail on my side that I'm as yet unaware of.
I really try to stay on top of that sort of thing and I had a good look at my browser, mail settings and Googled a bunch of keywords when the links went dead.
I only started this thread when I could find nothing on my end that would help.

Really appreciate everyone's input since I'm not the only one with the problem.

I use Google Chrome & Gmail and my links no longer come through clickable. I can highlight and go to the oiption but it is all a pain.
Hopefully we will find out what's going on. I'll bet it's a Gmail thing since it's happening across two different browsers.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Hopefully we will find out what's going on. I'll bet it's a Gmail thing since it's happening across two different browsers.

Just tried it to reproduce the problem with a test LAF user account  using my Gmail account. Exactly the same problem, the links aren't clickable in Chrome for me, too. Spent about a hour googling through various fora, looking for workarounds, we're definitely not alone out there, there are a lot of people complaining about  the same issue. Though I wasn't able to find a solution.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Posted to a thread discussing this that was just started yesterday at the Gmail Product Forums:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/7gRelqqwdHM

Jump in and add a note if this affects you too...