Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:57:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GW Terminator Inquisitor - A Conversion  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
GW Terminator Inquisitor - A Conversion
« on: September 07, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
Also a crap paint job, but I cant have everything can I?  ;D

As its my first day here thought I would drop this on for your comments and suggestions. Hope its the right place, if not, give me a kicking!

Recently been working on a load of GW Termys, got this one that had a bit of damage, so I thought I would do a little bit of converting and try green stuff for the first time.

So any suggestions, I know my painting leaves alot to be desired, any good web sites explaining blending?

Other than that, hope I havent ashamed myself too much!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 05:12:32 PM by Danny the Chimp »
He comes, he comes, Zalgo!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: GW Terminator Inquisitor - A Conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:24:46 PM »
Rather decent! For a better finish, you might touch up the storm bolter muzzles, either with black paint or by drilling them up; also, the head looks a bit lost in that huge cavern that is the Terminator torso. Maybe some cables would have been nice, and the torso sides look a bit bleak (maybe add some of those scroll things?) but for a first, it is really nice.

I particularly like the blueish-grey tint of the armour and those Inquisition symbols. Those you have done very well.

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Thanks Westfalia Chris,

I'm suprised, I aint been flamed yet, I agree the sides need something extra, I was thinking of a possible golden laurel wreath around the front of the head hole. but will have a think about the side. I kinda like the gaping hole, but maybe that says more about me than my miniature...  lol

Anyhoo, thanks for the comments, anything is more than welcome, I know I'm not great, but hopefully kind people such as yourself can help. All comments and advise are greatfully recieved!

I really need to find someone to explain blending to me, I may have read about it, but it makes no sense to my tentacle addled brain.

But to be serious, if its possible, I really do appreciate any comments, criticism, advise etc. I've only taken up the brush again 2 month ago, had a long (16 year) break and need help!

Cheers Gents and Lady Folks.

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 02:35:31 AM »
I like it. And if that is your first time with green stuff then you are way ahead of the game.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:28:55 AM »
I'm suprised, I aint been flamed yet

Not something you're likely to experience here - we are a friendly bunch who can appreciate the efforts of others  ;)

I really need to find someone to explain blending to me, I may have read about it, but it makes no sense to my tentacle addled brain.

Never really used it myself - I prefer using several layers of slightly different tones of the same colour instead (when using 3-tone paints like for instance Foundry Paints, it is very easy to mix 'in-betweens').. or using inks and drybrushes, depending on the 'importancy' of the model - BUT:

I think 'wet-blending' is where you use a wet brush to 'draw out' the edges of the lighter tone over the darker - using the natural transparency of the paint to create a 'soft' border between layers, where the darker layer partially shines though the edge of the lighter layer... does this make any sense...  ???  ;D  o_o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:37:37 AM »
Thanks Westfalia Chris,

I'm suprised, I aint been flamed yet,

The LAF crowd does not approve of flaming, rather, we encourage a civilized, gentlemanly culture of discussion (or something like that ;)). Flaming won´t do any good (apart from flame-grilled burgers, but that´s a different vice).

I agree the sides need something extra, I was thinking of a possible golden laurel wreath around the front of the head hole. but will have a think about the side.

The laurel wreath is a great idea, which I would encourage you to follow through! They are actually rather easy to sculpt.

I kinda like the gaping hole, but maybe that says more about me than my miniature...  lol

Groan! lol

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 09:01:59 AM »
As I said last night while drunk, it looks alright to me mate. The picture is wiping out some of the colour, if you understand what I mean, it looks completely different in real life.

And I think everyone is bang on, really, for a first job after 16 years, you've done very well. And your greenstuff skills are better than mine.

You bald sod.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:33:18 AM »

Here's a straightforward explanation:

http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_advanced_painting_blending.html

or here's a You Tube blending demo, which might help, if you like seeing techniques in use:

As you're obviously a GW fan, have you seen their "How To Paint Citadel Miniatures" book. Very good with a huge amount of info on painting theory and techniques. One of the few times you can say GW give excellent value for money  ;)

I like your choice of colour - a refreshing change from the usual colour schemes. It's a very good start after such a long break and I bet you'll soon be back up to speed.

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
Some High praise there for a born again painter, thank you very much!

Thanks for the advice all, I think I will give much of it a try and the video link, for one such as myself it was of much use.

As for being a fan of GW, I do like their old stuff, I must admit, but it was the fun and love they put into their older ranges, the new stuff is a bit to OTT for me. Bring back the likes of the Earthpigs and Over the Wall Crew and I would start buying the modern ranges.

But my mind is wandering (too many ideas for tentacles), thank you again for your advice. I'll have to see what you think of the Great Cthulhu I've just started building!  ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 09:20:24 PM »
I'll have to see what you think of the Great Cthulhu I've just started building!  ;)

Sneak peek! Sneak peek!!  ;D

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 09:29:08 PM »
I'll have to see what you think of the Great Cthulhu I've just started building!  ;)

Way too early for that, maybe in a weeks time when he's taking shape  :P , but it is based around the current GW balrog, just the body and arms and much milliput.....

I have a funny feeling that its a knock off balrog, fresh from eBay, just doesnt seem right to me, mind you I'm going to be making it into one of the deep ones, so I doubt the powers of Nottinghamshire will be too worried.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:06:23 PM by Danny the Chimp »

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 12:02:23 PM »
Tha gaij9in guy does it well, i love his painting.

I use the feathering teqnique, but with only one bruch, keeps it simpler. You dont need to be half so carefull though!

In the end, ALL my art( I paint pictures and use the computer too) has a really similar style, which I like and enjoy doing. That is, lay on your base colour. THen wash the shadows in, then feather the highlights. Simple. I tend to do several layers of each stage, adding contrast or glazing over the top. For example, my reds tend to come out in high contrast, so I usually apply the base red over the finished area to even out the light and dark.

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 12:22:31 AM »

As I've hit a problem with the big fella thought I would post him on here for some help, so you do get a sneak peak! Have a mosey* over too http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=7400.0 laugh at my paltry skills and then give all the advice and critique you want  :D Cheers all!

*Not to be confused with having a Mosely, thats something else entirely....

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 12:25:32 AM »
Also, to Ramshackle_Curtis, thanks, sounds like something I will have to try.

So many replys, makes an old chimp feel humble.....