Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:16:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More Saxon Kings for Saga/Valhalla and a Longboat  (Read 2689 times)

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
More Saxon Kings for Saga/Valhalla and a Longboat
« on: December 29, 2014, 08:44:57 AM »
Well I was lucky this Christmas and got a little time to paint and I thought that I would finish off Rędwald, King of Anglia and his bodyguard and banner man, again these are from Gripping Beast. I guess I will finish this Saga boat that I am on, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be an end and I am rather happy about that. Anyway as I am actually putting on a game at Hammerhead in February, I am combining my two loves, Very British Civil War and the Dark Ages together, I wonder what or rather Hoo that can be about, it seemed fitting that I got around to Rędwald.

But more on that later, but firstly Rędwald and crew. I have to say I am impressed with these sculpts and in fact I remember seeing them years ago in Wargames Illustrated and wanted them then but never got around to getting them as I thought I would never play Dark Ages. I am glad I did as this as wonderful sculpts and are bagged full of character.

Rędwald is King of Anglia and is a rather famous chap or rather his helmet is rather famous, imagine being trumped by your helmet? Maybe you could see what the Hammerhead game might be about? I do like this figure, his pose and the way he is holding himself. I have gone for a rather bright violet tunic, not you can see much of that and a fancy yellow and jade hem. I have gone for a simple leather jerkin and mail with gold arm and leg protection as is fitting for a King. But I wanted the figure to be simple as the helmet is where it is at. The actually helmet is a copy of the Sutton Hoo helmet and I have tried to paint it as such which polished steel and silver inlays and gold trim. I think this makes him stand out rather nicely.

Next up is one of his bodyguard who has the famous Sutton Hoo shield or rather is carrying a shield that is similar to the Sutton Hoo shield. I have again gone for a simple palette for him with a green tunic and a jade trim and brighten this figure with a wonderfully bright helmet in bronze and gold and a red shield with bronze fittings. I think this has worked a treat with him and just lifts the figure.

The second bodyguard I have followed what I have done before with a muted palette for a natural weave cloak with a couple of red lines to add interest to it, a red tunic with green trim and a blue striped trousers. The helmet is basically mail with a iron crown and gold trim and the shield is freehand, yes folks I have not used any LittleBigMen transfers on him, is differing reds striped and a bit of blue to bring it out. I am rather happy with the result.

Lastly is Rędwald's banner man without a banner at the moment, I am waiting for this to turn up from LittleBigMen. I really like this figure as it is a simple figure to paint with just his cloak and trousers to worry about. I again have gone with a muted palette with him with a natural grey colour for his trousers and a muted blue colour for the cloak. For interest I have painted his helmet bronze and his horn in well horn colour to add some colour and brightness to him which I think I have managed to do.

Last up is the start of a Viking Longboat or Knarr which I got from WarBases at Partizan in the Park. The actual kit is rather simple with a resin hull and MDF parts and shields. Now for the money this is a good kit to use as a base and with a couple of simple additions I have turned it into something more like a Longboat. All I have done is to plank the fore and aft decks, made a rudder, added a couple of cross beams and wrapped some wire around the mast. Now the wire might get changed for some dental floss as I am not totally happy with it.

Next thing to do is to basecoat the whole thing black and get to painting the wood on it, but I am not sure as too paint it natural wood or go for something a little more colourful. I guess we will have to wait and see about that, but I need it finished for Hammerhead in February so I better make my mind up quickly.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: More Saxon Kings for Saga/Valhalla and a Longboat
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Very nice.
You have really steamed through this army.
 :-* :-*

Which pack is the fella in the last picture from?
He looks just like one of my mate's old RPG characters and I think he would really like to paint him.
 :D

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
Its GET01 Armoured Command from German Tribes, 6th/7th century Saxons from GB. It is a lovely figure

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »
Its GET01 Armoured Command from German Tribes, 6th/7th century Saxons from GB. It is a lovely figure

Thank you very much, sir!
 :D

I think that Dunhere the Blue shall be reborn soon.
 ;)

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »
My pleasure

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 12:02:25 PM »
Nice work! ;)

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 12:13:45 PM »
Thanks there chap

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:28:39 PM »
Really love what you did with those figures!
Excellent paint job!
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done