Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:20:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cthulhu/ AWI  (Read 5570 times)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
Cthulhu/ AWI
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:22:27 PM »
Hi there,

I'm thinking of setting up a game of alternate American War of Independance and writing in a Cthulhu Mythos byline. I'm thinking redcoats defending a New England fishing town from hordes of deep ones or American militia fending off Indians supported by the Wendigo etc etc.. Now, I'm new to this part of the forum and have only played Cthulhu as an RPG so know little of the figures available. So sorry if it's an obvious request but ...where do I go for the figures and what rules set should I use to do something like this? Also, anyone else out there done something like this (love to see some pics).

Cheers
TJG

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Cthulhu/ AWI
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:39:54 PM »
Lovely idea.
The Perrys have a huge AWI range for both their own label and Foundry. Pretty much the definitive range(s) I would say.
But if I was starting on AWI, I think I'd find it very hard to resist the 40mm offerings from Front Rank and Trident. Take a look here: http://www.miniatureservicecenter.com/msc-40mm.htm
Both the Front Rank and Trident AWI figures are little short of superlative. Trident also do a matching seafarers range which would suit your proposed scenario a treat.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone does 40mm Cthulhu though  :(
Otherwise, for this project, I think the 40mm stuff would be the way to go.

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »
Lovely idea.
The Perrys have a huge AWI range for both their own label and Foundry. Pretty much the definitive range(s) I would say.

Cheers

I already have quite a few of the Perry AWI figures and some buildings to the scale. It was really more the Cthulhu stuff I was after plus anyone who has played something like this before who might have some advice.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 02:48:14 PM »
I use a number of models from a large range of lines to represent cthulhuish beasties in my games. Obviously the classic Bob Murch stuff is great, lots of Reaper models will also work quite nicely. And Dungeons and Dragons have a lot of cool monsters as well. I  like some old Celtos formorians and even some StarShip Troopers bugs look nasty with the addition of a couple tentacles...last hope, buy a cheapo underwater adventure pack from Toys R Us and hack away.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:31:30 AM »
RAFM do a lot of Cthulhu stuff (if you are in the UK I think Spirit Games stock them), and EM4 also have a range of beasts. Photos on the site don't do them justice though.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »
Hmmmm... I like that! It's in line with my idea of 'Victorian Weird Adventure' where I'm going to do something similar, mixing all kinds of genres into a Victorian setting ('Victorian Pulp'?).

We live in a wonderful time where almost everything is possible in gaming, thanks to nice, flexible rulesets, and lots of miniatures for every conceivable period  :D 8)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:23:34 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
I like Tim Burton because he inbues a sense of the Gothic into whatver he touches. I watched 'Sleepy Hollow' again and thought just how Cthulhu this could become..

And the headless horseman was a Hessian...so what about a company of the damned in Hessian uniforms led by him...in league with the Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath...

I've just picked up a copy of Two Hour wargames 'Black Powder Battles' which is meant for skirmishing in this period. Anyone played these before and do you think they'll fit with my idea? Oh and thanks for the tips on the figures. The RAFM ones are the ones I've seen before. Any other thoughts on who else might make good figures that you can play as Deep Ones?

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
Just a thought - Howabout Dreamblade minis - Discontinued and cheap right now, some beautifuly weird sculpts that would match up well with 40mm.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 07:56:33 PM »
I use Astounding Tales for my Cthulhu Skirmish games.  I have 45 Adventure too but I found Astounding Tales is best suited for my very simple tastes.  It also has some specific rules and stats for the 4-5 general cthulhisque beasties.

Most of my games are set in a Dunwich / Innmouth type board setting (very old rural farm/fishing community).  I use old style barnes, fences, a small graveyard, cornfields ,cottage type homes and Lemax Docks with a few small fishing boats.

As far as miniatures, I heavily use Artizan, RAFM Cthulhu, and Bob Murch's Pulp Figures for 30's period pulp characters.  Most are poorly armed very few have anything greater than a pistol or a book.  I have 6 of each of: Heresy Ghouls, RAFM Deep Ones, Zombies, Robed Artizan Cultists.

Each player normally controls one team of two figures with a theme example Professor and Student research mission.  Gangster and Moll on revenge,  Occultist and friend.  A pack of Deep Ones Ghouls or the reanimator and some zombies.  Usually one of them has something of some tactical team advantage in ways of equipment or skills.

Players are searching random encounter tokens to find 3 tattered pieces of the prize necronomicon or whatever.  There are also three bad omens which can be triggered.  If the third bad omen is activated, a random Cthulhu nasty appears and goes on the rampage attacking the nearest figure.

The games are about an hour a piece usually.  Its great when a Cthulhu baddie appears too.  In our last two games, a swarm of rats (D&D mini) appeared and ate all the Deep Ones I was using and most of the heroes before some poor soul escaped the map with a tattered Necronomicon.  The other game ended worse with the most terrible of baddies in my monster collection being summoned "Caller in the Dark"  (another D&D  mini).  It was a blast but no one survived as the heroes with the necronomicon drove a vehicle into the beastie and died a horrible death.

I think the best thing to do is limit you scope somewhat and focus on a specific setting.  A rural fishing village setting is great for countless Ghoul, zombie, Deep One, conflicts with out of town pulp adventurers.

Good luck.

"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 01:29:02 PM »
I use Astounding Tales for my Cthulhu Skirmish games.  I have 45 Adventure too but I found Astounding Tales is best suited for my very simple tastes.  It also has some specific rules and stats for the 4-5 general cthulhisque beasties.

I think the best thing to do is limit you scope somewhat and focus on a specific setting.  A rural fishing village setting is great for countless Ghoul, zombie, Deep One, conflicts with out of town pulp adventurers.

Good luck.

Thanks..I'll pick up a copy and have a look. A friend of mine has scratchbuilt an amazing Sleepy Hollow villlage which  I was going to try to put a harbour onto.
Definately a skirmish setting is best and the whole thing is scenario driven. I'm even thinking I might try gaslight and tweak the rules a bit.

RAFM do a lot of Cthulhu stuff (if you are in the UK I think Spirit Games stock them), and EM4 also have a range of beasts. Photos on the site don't do them justice though.
Yes these are great minis...I'll have to pick up a few, though I'm in Australia

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 02:00:25 PM »
I really want to recommend finding a set of Lemax Docks.  It is a company that does collectable miniature christmas houses.  They are one of the best miniature purchases I ever made.  Perfect in scale and detail.  You can search Lemax Docks here for images of them.  They will make your fishing village.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 06:22:53 PM »
I really want to recommend finding a set of Lemax Docks.  It is a company that does collectable miniature christmas houses.  They are one of the best miniature purchases I ever made.  Perfect in scale and detail.  You can search Lemax Docks here for images of them.  They will make your fishing village.

I just purchased some Lemax stuff from here:

http://www.lemaxstore.nl/

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 07:31:30 AM »

I just purchased some Lemax stuff from here:

http://www.lemaxstore.nl/

Thanks for that.I looked at some of this and they look good. I have already purchased the paper stock buildings from Fiddlers Green (they do an entire New England village) and am going to use them as templates for foamcard construction.Or you could just use them as is. Have a look and see what you think:

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/buildings/order/bldgorderpage.php?cat=new-england

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 07:39:38 AM »
I think I'll have to buy them...  >:(  ;)

EDIT:
They're in HO scale and smaller, though... no use to me then, after all (bugger!)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:46:34 AM by Argonor »

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 08:17:26 AM »
I think I'll have to buy them...  >:(  ;)

EDIT:
They're in HO scale and smaller, though... no use to me then, after all (bugger!)

You could always scan them and blow them up on a printer to be the right size
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au