Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:34:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Should I switch to using 1.5mm lasercut plywood bases?

Yes, it will look much nicer!
15 (68.2%)
No, keep slotting...
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: September 23, 2008, 09:52:05 AM

Author Topic: Slottas or Plywood??  (Read 7884 times)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Re: Slottas or Plywood??
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »
Always used washers, or back in the day thick card or vinyl floor tyles, never liked slotta bases.

I still use thick card for models that need a base bigger than a coin or one of a strange shape.  Like horses, machine gun teams or vehicles.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 07:22:57 PM »
Slottas all the way. Although I do use a lot of Litko 3mm Plywood Bases.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 07:33:54 PM »
Always used washers, or back in the day thick card or vinyl floor tyles, never liked slotta bases.

I still use thick card for models that need a base bigger than a coin or one of a strange shape.  Like horses, machine gun teams or vehicles.

I use plasticard now instead of card following a nasty occurrence with a spilt cup of coffee now known as the battle of Warped Base ;D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 08:34:57 PM »
Well... I'm almost set for the 'mixed base' - approach... those made for slottas will go on slottas, and those with integral bases on ... something flatter. Should even out height differences a bit. As it is now, some of the integral-base minis actually dwarf some of the slotta-minis, because of the extra height added by the integral base...

While I'm at it, I might even go for different kinds of thin bases - some integral bases are very thin, while others are humongous lumps of metal (I think I could start a casting business if I were to collect Reaper minis and wanted to remove their bases...).

Tomorrow I'll visit the local hardware/whateveryoucallit store and have a look at those washers. I also need a 2 mm and a 2.5 mm drill for drilling out muzzles on heavier kinds of hand artillery  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 09:05:14 PM »
While I'm at it, I might even go for different kinds of thin bases - some integral bases are very thin, while others are humongous lumps of metal (I think I could start a casting business if I were to collect Reaper minis and wanted to remove their bases...).

I know what you mean, Bronze Age does that too. Their integral bases are big enough that they do perfectly well on their own. Actually, Bronze Age was one of the reasons I gave up on uniform bases. I like to think it saved me a lot of hassle.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 09:19:54 PM »
I feel I must apologise, for 'twas me i think, that initiated your dilemma.

Well... I'm almost set for the 'mixed base' - approach... those made for slottas will go on slottas, and those with integral bases on ... something flatter. Should even out height differences a bit. As it is now, some of the integral-base minis actually dwarf some of the slotta-minis, because of the extra height added by the integral base...

That is exactly what I do, and I find that the mixed bases don't really bother me too much, so long as they're all 25mm circles, they still look pretty uniform.  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »
I feel I must apologise, for 'twas me i think, that initiated your dilemma.

I don't think you have to apologize - I was inviting the dilemma by my outmost foolish post about bases  lol - of course somebody already made ready-to-go bases, I should know when to keep my big mouth shut  ;)

I may end up with a better looking collection for my gaming - which again may help me recruit more danes into the ranks of the 'alternative wargamers'.... HECK, this is not 'alternative', it's the hobby as it should be - how come we and everybody else seem to think of any kind of gaming with minis 'alternative' just because it's not produced by a company trying to monopolize the whole thing..??

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »
I may end up with a better looking collection for my gaming - which again may help me recruit more danes into the ranks of the 'alternative wargamers'.... HECK, this is not 'alternative', it's the hobby as it should be - how come we and everybody else seem to think of any kind of gaming with minis 'alternative' just because it's not produced by a company trying to monopolize the whole thing..??

Don't worry, Argonor - you're at least as normal and mainstream as I am ;)

Offline Snate56

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 04:52:54 AM »
Litko Aerosystems makes 25mm plywood slotted bases.
http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/MB_CB_25

SteveN

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 05:46:54 AM »
Can't help myself - I'm a slotta-base whore...

I suppose it comes down to how easy it is to get those things compared to the many other options out there, beautiful as they may be.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 07:54:03 AM »
Litko Aerosystems makes 25mm plywood slotted bases.
http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/MB_CB_25
SteveN

I have plenty of slottas  ;)

Nothing to do with basing, but try, everyone, to look here:

http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/CS

They have overlay pdf for space corridor flooring - FREE for download!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:03:31 AM by Argonor »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 09:42:41 AM »
Hate slottas. Just do. Nothing to do with GW. It's just about the weight (or lack of it) and the fact that the nasty plastic plinth lifts the figure into a monument, rather than a real little person with his feet flat on the table. If you know what I mean...  ;)

I don't understand why people who use slottas feel they have to paint the "rim" part [ or whatever you call it] black or brown etc rather than matching the terrain :?  Is this down to the "official" GW method?

Fine if you only paint to display, but put them on the table and they look artificial and, to me, faintly ridiculous. I like my bases to blend into the terrain, so they are there for measuring etc but don't create a stark visual delineation.

Apart from that, I quite like them and stuff the underside with cheap plasticene to give them some weight. I always texture, paint and flock all over my slottas, so they don't look noticeably different from coin/washer-based figures.

Maybe it's just me  :(

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 09:49:23 AM »
I don't understand why people who use slottas feel they have to paint the "rim" part [ or whatever you call it] black or brown etc rather than matching the terrain :?  Is this down to the "official" GW method?

I keep my slotta-rims (mainly LotR) painted brown without sand/flock because I usually paint a darker brown roman numeral on the backside of the rim (for ID when playing Battle Companies)... Apart from that, I think that it's just a habit - and due to the way GW does it. Peoplke tend to mimick what they see a lot (hence my interest in flat bases after being on here for about 2 years  ;)  )

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »
I have a strange preference for flat bases, but washers or British 2p coins would be much cheaper than these plywood ones.

Yeah, it's 7p per base (25mm), but I do not live in the UK, and the only Danish coin useable would be a 2 Dkr - which is perhaps 18 or 19 p...

I'm a big fan of 2p coins for basing. Perhaps all us UK-based LAFers should have a collection for Argonor, and send any 2ps we find down the backs of our sofas?!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 10:10:39 AM »
I have a strange preference for flat bases, but washers or British 2p coins would be much cheaper than these plywood ones.

Yeah, it's 7p per base (25mm), but I do not live in the UK, and the only Danish coin useable would be a 2 Dkr - which is perhaps 18 or 19 p...

I'm a big fan of 2p coins for basing. Perhaps all us UK-based LAFers should have a collection for Argonor, and send any 2ps we find down the backs of our sofas?!

lol lol lol

I'l be checking out the prize on washers today (funny - for a very long time I thought 'washers' were the 'coins' used for starting different sorts of machinery, like at the laundrymat, or the solariums (are they called that in English?)).

Otherwize I'll probably be going to London this fall with the family, so I might collect a few pieces, then  lol

I think I more or less am set on the idea of mixed bases. It will allow me to use my already painted minis without rebasing right away, and I can rebase a few that I have based and primed.

Thanks for all the feed-back so far - I'll let you know what I end up with after visiting the hardware store  :)