Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:52:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Should I switch to using 1.5mm lasercut plywood bases?

Yes, it will look much nicer!
15 (68.2%)
No, keep slotting...
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: September 23, 2008, 09:52:05 AM

Author Topic: Slottas or Plywood??  (Read 7883 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Slottas or Plywood??
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:02 AM »
I'l be checking out the prize on washers today (funny - for a very long time I thought 'washers' were the 'coins' used for starting different sorts of machinery, like at the laundrymat, or the solariums (are they called that in English?)).

"Tokens", I believe, though there are probably other colloquial terms.

Oh, there are some 25mm round ply bases here;

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/geronimo_jones_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

......as well as a lot of other goodies. I don't know how the prices compare, but I've bought quite a bit of stuff  from him and he's a good, reliable seller.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:28:41 AM by Gluteus Maximus »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 11:39:11 AM »
Yes, that's Fenris Games - those are the plywood bases I was talking about from the beginning  >:D  ;)

Now my mind is set on checking out how the price on washers compare to the wooden bases - and ultimately I may even use both, as washers are thinner than ply, and the type may then depend on the thickness of the integrated base...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »
Yes, that's Fenris Games - those are the plywood bases I was talking about from the beginning  >:D  ;)

Now my mind is set on checking out how the price on washers compare to the wooden bases - and ultimately I may even use both, as washers are thinner than ply, and the type may then depend on the thickness of the integrated base...

Ah, my apologies! I didn't connect the two names  ::)

At least the prices are similar  lol

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 01:01:56 PM »
Nothing to do with basing, but try, everyone, to look here:

http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/CS

They have overlay pdf for space corridor flooring - FREE for download!!

I guess that goes to prove what I said earlier in this thread about everyone having his own notions of what's acceptable and unacceptable in the hobby. I must be the last person who still shuns paper scenery. I don't see how people can be so perfectionistic about every other aspect of the hobby, and still deign to model their battlefields with printed sheets of paper.

I'm not ranting, or trying to hijack the thread with a discussion on the merits and demerits of paper scenery, or anything. Just proving my point that there are so many different ways to be a perfectionist. One guy might hate something that another one finds perfectly acceptable. I mix bases with glee but wrinkle my nose at paper scenery, while the next fellow might do the opposite.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 01:10:53 PM »
Nothing to do with basing, but try, everyone, to look here:

http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/CS

They have overlay pdf for space corridor flooring - FREE for download!!

I guess that goes to prove what I said earlier in this thread about everyone having his own notions of what's acceptable and unacceptable in the hobby. I must be the last person who still shuns paper scenery. I don't see how people can be so perfectionistic about every other aspect of the hobby, and still deign to model their battlefields with printed sheets of paper.

I'm not ranting, or trying to hijack the thread with a discussion on the merits and demerits of paper scenery, or anything. Just proving my point that there are so many different ways to be a perfectionist. One guy might hate something that another one finds perfectly acceptable. I mix bases with glee but wrinkle my nose at paper scenery, while the next fellow might do the opposite.

You have a very good point, but there are those of us who only have very limited funds and time. If I have to make the choice, I'll buy figures first and then do what I can with scenery as a secondary consideration.

Whilst I'd love to have some of that spiffy resin scenery, I wouldn't have time to paint it to a decent standard and I could never afford the time to make stuff from card/balsa etc  :(.

Paper scenery at least is very cheap and can be easily and quickly constructed whilst doing something else like eating. And, if you cock it up, you can always print another sheet ;)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 01:26:25 PM »
I certainly wasn't trying to criticize anyone for using paper terrain, I was just illustrating my point about "perfectionism" being a very relative thing. I think none of us are true perfectionists, really.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 01:43:18 PM »
I think none of us are true perfectionists, really.

I never said I LIKE using paper terrain  :)  I'd prefer superbly painted hand cast resin buildings (or scratchbuilt foam-and-bits like Theomar's) at any time - but as GM wrote, funds are limited, and I'd get MUCH less gaming done if I had to save up for resin or make my own buildings (let alone for pre-painted ones) - and it's not lik I'm getting to game more than once a month at present with garden, kids, work....

I may not be totally perfectionistic, but I think I'm close. One of the reasons I have not been doing bunches of 'alternative' games, yet, is that I keep getting ideas for what should be in a game - and I cannot settle for less than the best I'm able to offer when inviting gaming pals... It's like being an RPG Game Master and not wanting to let anything be unprepared/unplanned...

And if I want a city for us to duke it out in, I simply have to go for the best combination of speed and price... While scratch-built is by far the cheapest, printable paper terrain is by far the fastest at the next-lowest price, while most ready-made resin terrain is quite expensive with about the same preparation (painting) time as a paper building - and the 'instant' terrain (like from The Miniature Building Authority) is max. one piece per month.... If I could afford to buy ready-made pre-painted terrain all the time in quantities sufficient for my needs, I'd do that...  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 06:30:42 PM »
OK. Now I've had up to here

My local hardware/builders' store has lots of washers. 30 mm, 35 mm and 50 mm.  >:( And they claim that 20 and 25 mm are unavailable...

Why does things have to be so complicated in this country????

Now I have to do some calling around to see if other builders' stores have a better selection  :?

Otherwise I'll have to try to find some online and calculate if they are worth ordering, compared to the plywood ones....

I just KNEW this would be a mess and not as easy as it sounded  :-[

UPSIDE: Our local paper/bookstore has superglue gel  >:D

Offline geronimo

• Scientist
    • Fenris Games eBay store
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 07:15:22 PM »
You know it makes sense to buy plywood bases  o_o

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 07:32:53 PM »
PM me your address and I'll post you a free pack of trusty British 25mm washers ;)
If you like the effect, you can pick them up in any home improvement store if you are coming over to the UK later in the year.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:48 PM »
Heheh... At least i now know why there's a notion that washers are expensive:

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/Cat~Penny_Washers_4783.html

This is ridiculous!

@Geronimo: As I wrote earlier, I'm probably going to use both washers and plywood bases, depending on the integral bases of minis  ;)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 08:39:43 AM »
Otherwise I'll have to try to find some online and calculate if they are worth ordering, compared to the plywood ones....

Go to Ebay (UK) and search on "25mm Penny Washers"

These are what I use when not using British 2P coins.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 08:51:44 AM »
Go to Ebay (UK) and search on "25mm Penny Washers"
These are what I use when not using British 2P coins.
Some to get there - but the traders all only 'Post to: United Kingdom'  :?