Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:12:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HIJMS Mikasa  (Read 5597 times)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
HIJMS Mikasa
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:28:27 PM »
Well,

today I am showing off something different than usual. You know me, I love Japan... I love Japanese military history... and also ships (yes Jim, there is a reaosn why I got all these naval books I was able to give you). Anyway recently all these interests came together wit a friend from Tokyo sending me a new Canon digital camera (my old Nikon was pretty much dead) and at the same time involving me in some of her research on early IJN and late Ch'ing imperial navy... and then Paul sulley releasing a new range of 1/2400 Russo-Japanese war vessels...

The result is a test trial on the HIJMS Mikasa... that in the near future will leave for Tokyo... while other ships will stay here. I hope you like her as much I liked painting her.

I can simply link to my blog... but ok just for 4 test pictures... I can simply repost them here...

and of course if you want to read a bit more...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ihPKjEL9i3k/VIXEI9t-edI/AAAAAAAAAyU/dyHpUmfxFd8/s1600/IMG_0061.JPG

Arrigo

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: HIJMS Mikasa
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:38:01 PM »
It's not big enough  ;)

Looks very nice though  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »
Oh well... it is the only scale I can have a decent battle on my gaming table... if you provide a gymnasium maybe we can do in 1/600 or larger  :D

It is the big problem of naval wargaming, or you compress the distance or you accept smaller models, but 1/2400 is a good compromise.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 07:28:11 AM »
Oh come on.... 1/56 or bust. You know you want to, just re-mortgage the house. Nicely painted btw.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:54:25 AM »
Nice  :-* :-*.  I have been toying with doing RJW naval for a while and although I found listings for various ships this is the first pic I have seen.

How long is this in 1/2400?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »
Nice - especially the sea effect.

I have the 1904 RN Atlantic fleet (painted in black and gold) which I've used in an engagement against the Russian Baltic fleet, following the Dogger Bank incident. We used Naval Thunder - Clash of Dreadnoughts and the Rise of the Battleship supplement for the fleets. We've also had game based on the  Battle of the Falkland Islands but set in the Eastern Med between Black Sea Fleet and Mediterranean Fleet vessels

The last game in the series was a fictional Franco-Japanese action based on the premise that both France and Japan set their eyes on Hainan Island with vessels from the British China Station and German Tsingtao squadron also getting drawn into the action. A follow-up RN vs IJM game never took place sadly.

The ships we use are Navwar 1/3000 scale (complete with archaic ordering system!!). Getting pics of the actual models was impossible, but I managed to find out plenty of info for fleets and stations online and all the vessels or their class types were listed in the rules.

I love the pre-dreadnought period, much more than the later WW1 stuff, but the RN do tend to outclass most other ships in both numbers and quality!!!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
I love the pre-dreadnought period, much more than the later WW1 stuff, but the RN do tend to outclass most other ships in both numbers and quality!!!

Me too and the Mikasa was built in my home town  :D

cheers

James

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
Nice - especially the sea effect.

I have the 1904 RN Atlantic fleet (painted in black and gold) which I've used in an engagement against the Russian Baltic fleet, following the Dogger Bank incident. We used Naval Thunder - Clash of Dreadnoughts and the Rise of the Battleship supplement for the fleets. We've also had game based on the  Battle of the Falkland Islands but set in the Eastern Med between Black Sea Fleet and Mediterranean Fleet vessels

The last game in the series was a fictional Franco-Japanese action based on the premise that both France and Japan set their eyes on Hainan Island with vessels from the British China Station and German Tsingtao squadron also getting drawn into the action. A follow-up RN vs IJM game never took place sadly.

The ships we use are Navwar 1/3000 scale (complete with archaic ordering system!!). Getting pics of the actual models was impossible, but I managed to find out plenty of info for fleets and stations online and all the vessels or their class types were listed in the rules.

I was set on 1/3000  with a mix of Navwar (a fax is not archaic) and WTJ until I saw Paul's sculpts at Warfare... considering WTJ rapid prototyped miniatures are available also in 1/2400, the decision was easy. As rules I am using both David Manley Fire When Ready or MJ12 Grand Fleets. After playing the WW2 version of Naval Thunder I am utterly non impressed with them. Rolling for each barrel is tedious, and the damage system is frankly stupid (plus for small engagement I found the Admiral Trilogy faster and more pleasant).

Well the RN has numbers (but alos worldwide commitments), but not so much quality advntages. Ship for ship i think the IJN had the advantage on paper, yet looking at what a properly trained Russian squadron was able to do at Yellow Sea made me wondering about a lot of stereotypes on the Russian Fleet. Certainly one Russian Battleship (the Retvizan in our case) was able to tackle on the whole IJN battleline and despite a lot of damage survive. Then you have the problems with the various compounds used in shells (especially the derivate of the Poudre B, like the Shimosa compound).  One of the problem I see is that for a long time historiography was dominated by a strong pro-RN (and by default pro-IJN) bias. A lot is due to Mader and his admiration for Fisher (but well, Mader tend to be a tad clueless in technical matters). But let's face it even Mark Evans was not spotless. In his discussion on the RJW in Kaigun he avoid talking about the problem of Shimosa shells (with a lot of premature explosions in the turrets...)  instead portraying them as super-duper rounds.

I think that the period is interesting because fleets tend to be more balanced, there is less long range fire (and standard accuracy is everything but accurate) and the fleets are more balanced. As much the RN is the 3,000 pounds gorilla in the showroom... it was also overstretched. Plus alliances were shifting quite a lot in the period, before crystallizing in the two big blocks of 1914  and there is the scope for different scenarios.

From a modeling point of view the ships are sufficiently small to be done in bigger scale without being too big or too expensive