Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Viking Berserkers for Saga/Valhalla  (Read 3705 times)

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
Viking Berserkers for Saga/Valhalla
« on: December 14, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
As the title states here is the next unit for my Viking force and this time its another unit of elite hearthguard troops upgraded to berserkers. Now again these are from the plastic boxset of Viking Hirdmen from Gripping Beast and I think it shows the versatility of this boxset in the way you can create most of the unit types for Saga with it.

I have sort of gone for a unit of armed warriors with dual weapons, mainly as I like the look and partly to me they scream VIKINGS!!!!. I have done these in this way so that I can use them of normal hearthguard or berserkers, depending on my mood, which I guest means that I will be playing them of berserkers most of the time but it does give me the option of having a large unit of eight strong heathguard to chop its way across the battlefield.

What I love about the plastic boxsets from Gripping Beast is the extras that come with it and the way you can customise the figures to make them all different. With these it was a simple chop the hands off and put on a new weapon and being plastic it only takes a couple of seconds, the hardest part is getting the hand is a natural position.

I have gone for the bright colour palette of these as these are the elite warriors and should and would of the very best in the of clothing, weapons and armour. Actually what I from found the colours of dyes seemed to be much brighter but I didn't want them to bright as it would not of looked right and artificial.

I have added shield to their backs, mainly as I see these as the first into battle and being raiders, their would be heavily armed and the shield is a must. Also as I simply like the look of warriors with their shield strapped across their backs and again its that typical Viking look. The transfers are from LittleBigMan Studios, of course, I am not trying to paint those designs.

Thats it for today but before I go I noticed the dust of these figures and I wish I had noticed before taking them, the new camera does wonders in the picture taking part with the detail and now I realised I will have to gently wipe clean the next lot.

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
Re: Viking Berserkers for Saga/Valhalla
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 01:54:50 AM »
Very nice, and they look quite aggressive with all those axes.  Interestingly, a number of sagas describe heroes "dual-wielding" weapons (though it's typically a sword in one hand and a spear or glaive in the other), usually when facing many opponents at once: 

"Gunnar defended himself with bow and arrows as long as he could; then he threw them down, took his halberd and sword and fought with both hands... Bork took a swing at Gunnar.  Gunnar struck back so hard with his halberd that the sword flew out of Bork's hand.  Then he saw Thorkel on his other side...he made a sweep with his sword and hit Thorkel on the neck, and the head flew off." (Njal's Saga, trans. Robert Cook).

Looking forward to more.

Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 02:12:41 AM »
Nice work - good colour choice.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:59:26 AM »
Great charachters, and some really nice tuches with the bases to.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
Very nice!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist