Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:05:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690445
  • Total Topics: 118331
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The generic tools thread.  (Read 80833 times)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: The generic tools thread.
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2020, 02:29:07 PM »
I took a second look at BMC tutorials and especially the one where he sets up the Proxxon and some of the issues one can have such as getting the hot wire at 90 degrees to the table in all directions.

The arm had not seated in the slot correctly which is why it looks like it is at an angle so I reset that and the used an engineer's square to check the wire.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2021, 02:25:35 PM »
I came across these in a Stockholm game store a few weeks ago:

"Army Painter Masterclass Dry Brushes" is the rather pretentious name, but when I saw them I knew exactly how  and what for I could use them.

If you do the light directional highlights, i.e up  to down, I would say your best choice  is  a flat, stiff brut with thin bristles. Sometimes however you want  to apply highlights with a circular motion, for example when dry brushing ground elements, like flagstones, and then these come in handy.

These brushes have very fine, soft hair but as they are short and set rather densely they old their shape very well. They hold just the right amount of paint and due to the fine hair does not offload streaks or blobs in wiped off properly.

I would not be surprised to learn that they originally come from the cosmetics industry. These set me back about €22 so you may find cheaper substitutes by rooting through your daughters beauty kit.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2021, 03:28:00 PM »
I came across these in a Stockholm game store a few weeks ago:

"Army Painter Masterclass Dry Brushes" is the rather pretentious name, but when I saw them I knew exactly how  and what for I could use them.

If you do the light directional highlights, i.e up  to down, I would say your best choice  is  a flat, stiff brut with thin bristles. Sometimes however you want  to apply highlights with a circular motion, for example when dry brushing ground elements, like flagstones, and then these come in handy.

These brushes have very fine, soft hair but as they are short and set rather densely they old their shape very well. They hold just the right amount of paint and due to the fine hair does not offload streaks or blobs in wiped off properly.

I would not be surprised to learn that they originally come from the cosmetics industry. These set me back about €22 so you may find cheaper substitutes by rooting through your daughters beauty kit.

I really like these and I would submit that these are more rugged than makeup brushes. I'm extremely pleased with them

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2022, 09:13:08 AM »
I checked out Black Magic Craft and a few other sites to get reviews on hot wire cutters before asking Santa for the Proxxon.
Just placed an order with Shifting Sands for the Guide, Angle And window/arch templates.
You went through the USA source?

I really like these and I would submit that these are more rugged than makeup brushes. I'm extremely pleased with them
I am not so confident on that. And these makeup brushes can be had at the Dollar Store/Pound Shop.
But be sure to let us know how these hold up if you please?

Grimm

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2022, 09:44:54 PM »
No, I used the European shop as the postage was so much cheaper than buying in the US.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2022, 10:04:25 PM »
IIRC proxxon is located in germany so that would make sense.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2022, 10:04:42 PM »
I visited the World Model Expo in Veldhoven (NL) earlier this summer (July) and when doing the rounds of the vendor stalls, I came across this beauty.

For the longest time I've wanted to get my hands on a Chopper, to make my polystyrene game that much easier, but I never got round to buying one, they were hard to come by over here and, you know, other hobby priorities  ;)

But this thing...

It's completely built of metal components (bar the cutting mat, obviously), so most likely even sturdier than the original Chopper. The guides are equally strong and precise and the blade is a simple razor blade, so easily replaceable.

I knew I had to have it, but the company rep at the stand only accepted cash. I had just blown that on other shinies, and there was no way of obtaining cash at the venue (other than perhaps holding up a wealthy punter), but he assured me that they have many retailers selling their products, so I could buy them online from them.

Yeah; but then I'd also have to pay for shipping, but there was nothing to it. Once home, I browsed their list of retailers and checked each and every store, but none had this cutter in stock!

Of course... ::)

One of the last ones I checked was a Belgian store and for the heck of it, I entered my email address for an alert when it did come back in stock. And lo and behold; when I was on a camping trip in Italy, I received the alert that they now had two in stock!

Not wanting to waste the opportunity and risk them being sold out again by the time I returned home, I ordered one and had it delivered at my parents' house, where I was able to collect it several weeks later, when I got back home.

And there it was, in all its metal glory. I'm pretty chuffed with it, although I still have to really take it through its paces with a nice big project, but I'm sure it will serve me well... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2022, 11:20:23 AM »
Ooh that does look very very useful!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2022, 11:32:28 AM »
I like that. Mine is getting a little bit tired now  lol

Have you got a link to the company that makes them?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2022, 12:15:54 PM »
Looks interesting, where have you found one and at which price? If you mind sharing online, you can also send me a message if willing. Bought one of those cheap hand held cutters to cut angles online but isn´t very suitable due to poor assembly.

Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2022, 12:38:12 PM »
It's a Hungarian company called RP Toolz:

https://www.rptoolz.com/?lang=en

The store I used is called Domino and is located in Belgium (which would suit Belgian I suppose lol ). Be aware though that the re-sellers are name-dropped only; no links, so you need to search for them yourself. Which is mildly annoying ::)

I paid €85,- (plus P&P) for it, which absolutely is expensive. But judging by the build quality, I reckon this one will last me a lifetime...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 12:40:59 PM by Daeothar »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2022, 04:13:17 PM »
I remember looking at their punch sets and thinking "that is lovely and entirely too rich for my blood" at the last model expo before covid.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2022, 06:24:47 PM »
It's a Hungarian company called RP Toolz:

https://www.rptoolz.com/?lang=en

The store I used is called Domino and is located in Belgium (which would suit Belgian I suppose lol ). Be aware though that the re-sellers are name-dropped only; no links, so you need to search for them yourself. Which is mildly annoying ::)

I paid €85,- (plus P&P) for it, which absolutely is expensive. But judging by the build quality, I reckon this one will last me a lifetime...

Thanks know that shop, might pick one up in the future. Bit expensive though  :?

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2022, 10:42:23 PM »
I remember looking at their punch sets and thinking "that is lovely and entirely too rich for my blood" at the last model expo before covid.
Just looked at the website and you can find some cheaper.  My circular punch I picked up in the states from Micromark for about a third of the price about ten years ago.  My hex punch was a similar price from a company in Japan.  I guess like all things it is worthwhile to shop around.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 10:44:00 PM by snitcythedog »
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2022, 11:21:34 PM »
Tools such as this are definitely a case of you get what you pay for, for example my sprue cutters cost A $75 from Japan and still have a good edge after five years, whilst a 20 dollar job will fail, and not be very precise anyway. Same goes for files et cetera and don’t get me started on airbrushes  lol. Often it’s a false economy.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.