Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690646
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rescue Miscue (Fram's AAR #3) (many photos)  (Read 7482 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Rescue Miscue (Fram's AAR #3) (many photos)
« on: December 15, 2014, 05:14:01 AM »
Last time, on the Fram Framson Crystal Radio Show (brought to you by Brighto Health Tonic - Makes old bodies new!): http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73339.0

==========================

It was a real mess. With his mercenary allies refusing to have anything further to do with Corto's rescue mission (and still holding him to the promise of receiving his share from the weapons deal), the sailors parted ways with Corto, refusing to follow him further as ran down Umberto's trail. As he languished lost in thought, on a hard bed in a shabby room in Irkutsk, he strained to review the situation. He'd heard the Russians had been searching, but he hardly trusted the Soviets. If he wanted his friend found, he knew he'd have to do it himself, but how? He'd lost his air transport and worn out his welcome with his local connections. The only consolation was that that Chinese warlord, had been sent packing so at least he had the time and space to think in the first place.

Still, Corto Maltese was not the sort of man to whom despair came easy. Nor was he the sort of man to be found without friends, as a knock on the door of his room confirmed.

"It's open." was his laconic reply.

A woman. One who must have been stunning in her youth, given the power she still retained in spite of approaching middle age. Vaguely central asian perhaps? It was hard to tell, and of course the woman known only by the pseudonym of 'The Baroness Khatun' (among others), was not one to say. The eyes were her giveaway though. There was clearly a steel to her; this one knew authority and how to use it well.

"Moping, Corto? That seems out of character."

"Hardly. Waiting is more like it. You were the one who set this in motion; you had to show sooner to later. Though I'm pleasantly surprised you came in person."

"Only three men have earned that respect from me. And two are dead."

"Respect? Is that what it's called now? How dry." Smiled Corto.

"It is what I call it." She returned Corto's smile with her eyes only, those hard orbs softening just long enough to allow Corto to notice. "Come. I have a local scout and an airplane, and I do believe the Soviets have uncovered a trail we can follow. We will find Umberto."

"Risks or no?"

"Risks or no."

The Scenario:

A deranged local tinkerer, D. M. Verdyugetov, has been the subject of local rumour for some time. It is suspected that he may be the one behind Nobile's capture. The Bogatyrs have gone as the representatives of the Soviet authorities to investigate. Corto Maltese and Mrs. Donerwetter are both following the Soviets, a dangerous game to play in Siberia. Corto, to rescue his friend, and Mrs. Donervetter (who is fast wearing out her welcome) to one-up the Communists.

All three land near the Verdyugetov compound, to search for Nobile and ready for anything.

Today's scenario was intended to be difficult and perhaps a little more complex, but not terribly so.

There were two mobile minor plot points - D. M. Verdyugetov, and his rather slow son Yevgeny. Both were extremely perilous and would also play extra perils as an "attack" upon contact with a character. D. M. Verdyugetov would move 6" towards the nearest character each turn and Yevgeny would move 6" towards his dad. Two rewards were set aside for them.

The other three plot points - the two other minor ones and the major one, Nobile (represented by the +1 XP reward) - were hidden among five places on the compound. Three rewards were mixed with two red herrings for this. No one knew where Nobile might be, so all five locations would have to be searched to find him.

There was an additional rule, that if you completed Yevgeny as a plot point, one Red Herring would be removed from the five rewards and if you completed D. M. Verdyougetov, both Red Herrings would be removed, and the locations of the three rewards would be "fixed". So you could search the compound the hard way for Nobile while dodging the old man, or you could try to confront the old man or his son to get them to spill the beans.

The setting was still in Siberia of course, now at the Verdyugetov compound. The long grass again served as perilous terrain, as did the vegetable patch (what is he growing there...). On top of everything else, we also rolled such that all perils were extremely perilous.

The Bogatyrs are on the scene, with a veteran army platoon this time and a spirit bear summoned by Grandmother Muromets (Guardian minion - Altar perk). Neither the army platoon nor Chichikov is not reassured by the presence of the ENORMOUS BEAR, though eventually the army platoon start daring each other to try and get it drunk before Grandmother Muromets glares at them to knock it off.

Mrs. Donerwetter, still insistent on showing them goldurned communists what-for. She also has the dog Mr. Cassidy brought to heel from the last game (rolled for backup).

Corto and the Baroness (I took Duo, to give it a try and also make the game a bit quicker.) along with a scout (I took Call to Arms as a perk).

D. M. Verdyugetov (with the helicopter, middle) and three of the compound locations (the shed on the left, the quonset hut in the middle, and the stacks of salvaged luggage and loot obtained under suspicious circumstances on the right (specifically, it was the big blue steamer trunk).

An outhouse and the nearly-ruined Verdyugetov homestead form the other two compound locations, and you can see Yevgeny in the background, to the right of the house.

The Bogatyrs start with the initiative and advance in strength. The army platoon covers Grigori while he looks to begin searching, while Katie Rockets moves towards the house and the bear lumbers right into the middle of the compound. "Hello! We are here to speak to D. M. Verdyugetov!"

Chichikov is interested in moving as far away from the bear as possible while not seeming to do so. He eyes Yevgeny and correctly discerns that the son looks a little on the slow side. "I will ah, just be over here, comrades, questioning that young man."

Mrs. Donerwetter moves towards the luggage, following her cats - is that a sound in there? - while Cassidy and Mr. Tiggles follow Mr. Tiggles' nose towards the outhouse.

Corto and the Baroness move up, unsure as to what is going on, ready for anything after the last mess.

The first turn ends and D. M. Verdyugetov moves to intercept the intruders on his turf. "Who... who... who... are you people?! What is the meaning of this!?" he screeches, pulling out a rusty but dangerous sort-of-bluderbuss with wires and who knows what stuck on.

The old hermit realizes however that the nearest of these intruders is a GIANT BEAR and decides that discretion is perhaps the better part of valour (Free Pass pulled for the peril). He manages a strained "Uhm... welcome... ", though his face is twitching.

The second turn begins with Corto taking charge of the situation. Without the slightest trace of fear, the sailor approaches the old man with a warm courtesy. "Well sir we're actually hoping you might be able to help us..." Corto quickly reassures the old man, who reveals that he's only trying to get the attention of the government

"I'm an inventor you see, one of some serious talent, if I do say so. Now, I may have been passed over before, but I feel certain that the government ought to be looking at my work. Why I have any number of helpful inventions the nation could use, but those book-learned louts are so far away they don't give a fig for a practical country fellow like me! Look! Look at my radio! Works perfectly well and I know all too well how short of radios the government is! I heard the airship go down on my set set and knew there would be important technical men on board and well... maybe they'd be a little more inclined to listen" a bit of darker gleam flashed across the man's eyes "I'm sure they'd be willing to listen to reason once I showed them what I'm capable of!"

"Ah, of course..." Corto replied non-committally. "Yes! Of course" Agreed the oblivious old man "I certainly meant no harm none at all... so long ad my genius is recognized. The Italian fellow, the pilot, he's, ah, he's a 'guest' in my side shed over there." Corto's eyes immediate shot to the shed with the army platoon in front while Verdyugetov babbled on "...and wouldn't you like to look at some of my other projects? They're very very interesting I assure you! You might want to be careful, though ehehehe, I have a few surprises set up..."

What happened here is that Corto simply saiiiiillllled through the perils and challenge with extremely lucky draws, which wound up removing the mystery/search element almost right away.

To review, I rolled to see what plot points were where. A minor one in the house, the major one in the shed, and another minor one in the loot pile. The quonset hut and outhouse were empty. I tossed the red herrings and put dice down to mark everything.

The Baroness and the scout get to work on the nearest plot point, the minor one in the house. They discover everything around here is booby-trapped! What sort of maniac is this old man?! "No wonder he wanted us all looking around! He's hoping we'll blow ourselves up, that one!" She passes her finesse check to disarm the trap, but can't fully dislodge all the debris choking the house (needed 2 successes with Might, managed one).

Mrs. Donerwetter has no trouble at all searching the crates to find a bizarre idol which looks like it was on it's way to somewhere important. She slips it in her purse as it will make a nice addition to her collection.

Yevgeny is easily subdued by Katie. "Come, boy! You will explain all this!" "Dawwww... hokay. You ask me daw. He say the pilot in shed. Say hi for me."

Grigori also makes short work of the peril. He too discovers a trap but elects to bypass it "Ahhhh, stupid thing!" instead of disarming the bomb, he simply shoots the lock off and kicks the door in. "Comrade Nobile! We're here to rescue you, sir!" "Era ora! Not a moment too soon, hm?"

Just when all seems well, Mrs. Donerwetter blunders in. "The communists are capturing that fellow! Quick Mr. Cassidy! You give these ruffians the old one-two. That ought to learn them!"

Cassidy makes for the nearest symbol of communist perfidy - the Commissar - and starts swinging hard! The first takes off Chichikov's hat, the next knocks his gun out of his hand, the third and fourth get caught on his belt buckle and coat. Chichikov can't believe his luck! (Four successes, all undone.)

The rest of Mrs. Donerwetter's brood move in.

Already angered by all the interlopers, Katie loses her patience. "Men! Take them into custody! What sort of moral morons attack a rescue mission!" "Yes! Take these disgusting degenerates in hand!" adds Chichikov.

Mr. Cassidy is in no mind to comply however and starts smashing the army men right away.

Things turn into a real melee. Mr. Cassidy sends the army platoon packing, so after the men flee, in comes the bear!

Chichikov miraculously survives again. It seems to be a talent of noted cowards.

Katie tries to shoot Mr. Tiggles but he successfully avoids injury.

Grandmother Muromets and Grigori try try the same thing with the same result. That's one fast cougar! Meanwhile Mrs. Donerwetter's dog starts attacking Corto as he tries to go see that his friend is alright.

Turn 4 was a stalemate. Everyone traded shots and punches to very little effect. The bear weathered attack after attack and even though he had no dodge it seemed nothing could bring it down. Even when hit, he passed his recovery checks.

Finally, at the beginning of turn 5, Corto finally managed to get rid of the dog and the Baroness finally completed the other minor plot point, uncovering another of Verdyugetov's bizarre inventions. This one appears to be some form of automated backscratcher or perhaps a torture device. She declines to ask the old man to clarify matters.

The bear chased away several cats who gotten the better of him (wounding him earlier, but it just wasn't enough to get rid of him).

Chichikov finally breaks free. "Many thanks bear! I take back any bad things I ever said about you... I never said any bad things about you!"

The Russians have surrounded Nobile to keep him safe (I left the plot point marker on table for the visual effect) and refused anyone trying to come near. Corto tries to shout over but is not sure if Nobile can even see him. With no knowledge that his friend will be alright. Corto tries to rush Grigori and the Baroness tries to help.

It goes about as badly as everything has for Corto this game! Now the old man is back, screeching once more about the ridiculous fight going on in the middle of his home. (Dropped plot point) "Insane! You are all completely insane!" I suppose it says something that things have reached the point where the old lunatic is calling them crazy.

Even the scout tries to help Corto, but he too gets a bullet for his trouble. The Baroness avoids injury by the slimmest of margins.

The sixth turn begins. Corto plays Get Up and manages to revive himself. Mrs. Donerwatter plays a ton of Unseen Perils and other fortune cards (the Parley was the challenge) on the Russians in a last gasp attempt to forestall victory, but it's no good. Katie is injured, but at this point it's irrelevant.

The Bogatyrs have the victory! Never seriously threatened, they hustle Nobile away.

Corto's friend is safe though he himself will have no confirmation of this until the mess is sorted out later.

Informally, this game was something of a fiasco and sadly was not much fun for the players. The last game had been an ugly slugfest which was souring the participants on things, so I wanted the perils to be much tougher this time and set things up for a strong plot point challenge which would occupy them such that they couldn't simply butt heads.

But it simply was not to be. With incredible luck, everyone sailed through the challenges and unlocked all the plot points fast. On top of that, the Major plot point came up at the exact spot the Russians already had well-guarded. So we once again fell into a miserable ugly slugfest which really didn't fit the rescue theme - there just wasn't anything else to do! 

I think the underlying structure was fine (a difficult search, which you can make easier by shaking down a dangerous foe), but needs some tweaks to prevent another early blowout like this.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:02:15 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
Re: Rescue Miscue (Fram's AAR #3) (many photos)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:48:25 AM »
What a great AAR!  Love that big ole' bahr!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »
It may not have worked out as well as you had hoped form a gaming point of view, but what a treat for the reader, both visually and from a story telling point of view!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
It may not have worked out as well as you had hoped form a gaming point of view, but what a treat for the reader, both visually and from a story telling point of view!

Hear! Hear!

Another magic episode from the Fram Framson Crystal Radio Show:-*

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »

I agree ;) Fine AAR  :-*

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
Well, I tried to salvage it for that at least! No point in posting something horrible to read!  lol

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 04:45:52 AM »
Once the dice start rolling, anything can happen. It is great seeing your beautiful miniatures and terrain in action.  :-* :-*

One thing you might consider for a scenario like this is to have it end automatically when the major plot point is completed. We have a few scenarios like that in Vice Alley, and it seems to work pretty good when the sides are not truly bitter enemies.

I liked your idea for this scenario and the special rules for the Red Herrings and concealing the major plot point were very clever.

Love that headscarf and the luggage stickers!  :-* :-*

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 06:31:22 AM »
I think the overall concept is fine, it just sort of went pear-shaped on us this time.

I might try doing it again with a small rework, with say, a mad bomber and all sorts of bomb locations. Or a large group of hostages or something.

But not for a while. I'm going to try some other scenarios next, possibly with dedicated antagonists (I don't mind playing the villain, hehe). I need to get my cultists and nazis painted up anyway.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 02:00:23 AM »
Oh yes, it definitely makes more sense when there's an obvious bad guy. We try to take turns, but it does seem like I get stuck with the black hat frequently. And I don't mind, it gives me an excuse to practice my menacing laugh...  lol lol lol