Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:24:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Please help me put together a portable painting set  (Read 8583 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
Please help me put together a portable painting set
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:06:32 AM »
It's been quite the time since I last posted on LAF. I drifted away from the hobby, but now I want to come back!

Work and life commitments mean that I've been of no fixed abode for the last three years, with all my stuff in storage (briefly: I'm a travel writer, my partner is an aid-worker: we do lots of six to nine month stints in different countries). But you know, I miss the relaxation and enjoyment of painting minis...

I have access to part of my stash of based and primed minis, but not any of my paints or brushes. I figured I could put together a basic painting kit that I can stash in my luggage the next time I hit the road.

So, my request to the group is for suggestions for putting together a decent range of paints - small enough to be portable, but broad enough to cover the essentials. Oh, and while I'm asking – I'm a bit out of touch with good, reasonably-priced brushes, so any ideas there would be very welcome.

Thanks for any suggestions – they're most gratefully received! 

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Please help me put together a portable painting set
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »
Good to see you back Paul ;)

You could do a lot worse than choose from the Foundry triad paint system.

My choice of brush is a Windsor and Newton Series 7 Kolinsky sable.

http://www.winsornewton.com/uk/shop/brushes/water-colour/series-7-kolinsky-sable-brushes
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »

My choice of brush is a Windsor and Newton Series 7 Kolinsky sable.

http://www.winsornewton.com/uk/shop/brushes/water-colour/series-7-kolinsky-sable-brushes

Snap and snap...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 08:18:39 AM »
Paul! Long time  :)

I suppose it would depend on what figures you are painting for which paints to include. Any hints on what you have?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 10:44:45 AM »

Thanks muchly, Nick!  :)

I've never used the Foundry system before – I'll take a look. I had mostly GW paints before, but didn't they change them all up of late?

Paul! Long time  :)

I suppose it would depend on what figures you are painting for which paints to include. Any hints on what you have?

cheers

James

Good to be back James!

I've been scratching my head to remember what's in my box of primed minis. I do know that while most of my worldly goods are in deep storage, they're stuffed into a box in a cupboard at my parents' place... I'm pretty sure there are some Napoleonic-era Haitian Revolution minis by Trent, possibly a few Crooked Dice bits and bobs, perhaps some Foundry fantasy stuff from a half-finished project... In some ways it might not matter too much. It's been over two years since I last painted anything, so anything I start with is probably going to be pretty patchy: not sure if I can even remember which end of the brush to hold!   ;D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 11:16:51 AM »
Yup, all the GW paints have gone through a few changes and will no doubt do it a gain at some point in the future  ::)

You could go for the basic Foundry Starter paint set which has 36 colours in it and go from there.

Regarding brushes, the pointy end goes on the figure  ;D

cheers

James

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »
Regarding brushes, the pointy end goes on the figure  ;D

I love the internet: you always learn something new...  ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
I love the internet: you always learn something new...  ;)

I tried it the other way round for a year or so but it wasn't that successful  ;)

cheers

James

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
I can only agree with the comments made on the paints and brushes so far, but my personal paints of choice are Vallejo Game and Model colour.

I do a fair bit of traveling myself too, and spend the night at many a hotel. And let's face it; those bars all look the same, and are only fun if your favourite passtimes are drinking and/or people watching. So I tend to take some painting work with me every time.

Problem always was to:
 1) lug the stuff along undamaged
 2) get the stuff through customs and (airport) security without problems
 3) be small enough to fit into carry on luggage
 4) take every single thing required to paint

Now, my trips usually last from one night up to about a week, so I don't have to take my entire collection and equipment with me; just enough to last me for a maximum of 5 to 6 nights. And usually, I don't even get to that number, as there will always be some function, or social obligation, taking up one or more nights.

So, a couple of years ago, I received two free cases, containing some complementary car safety stuffs from a car insurance company. And since I pretty much have all that gear in our cars anyway, I put them to better use.

It's these small plastic cases:

I first only did the one, but that will carry just the painting gear and one or two minis.

Here's my proof of concept, made with some cardboard:

And here's the finished product, made from 1mm thick black plasticard, simply glued with polystyrene cement. I made the contents modular, so I would be able to switch out parts, if there was a need. However, I've found the current setup to be sufficient so far:

This is the most important part of the case; the paint rack. It holds 15 dropper bottles. If you were to use up the module on the right to hold paint as well, you'd get up to 24 dropper bottles in there though:

The module on the right is designed to hold several pieces of equipment, such as a mixing tray, some cloth, a cork to hold pinned  miniatures etc, in the top section, and one or two minis in the bottom section.

Top section:

And the bottom of the top section, which is coated in foam, to protect the minis in the section below:

Then the bottom section, which is just a foamclad tray for the miniatures:

Finally, there's the module that fits into the curvature of the case. This one does not have all that much capacity, but it's perfect to hold brushes and other tools. I tend to not take any files or blades with me, because of security reasons. This is also the reason why I exclusively bring along assembled, cleaned and undercoated miniatures; so there's only paint required.

Also, the wider parts of the module can hold a flip top bottle of GW design each, if I really have to bring a specific colour in such a bottle. I always pack some more cloth on top of the brushes by the way, to stop them rattling around in there:

But I found that that's not enough for longer stays, so I then converted the other case into a dedicated miniature carrying case, using some KR MUlticase foam trays I bought for that purpose. They fit with very little problems, I just had to adjust the shape of one of the rows to match the curvature of the case and presto!

It was a simple matter of marking out the contours on the bottom of the foam trays, cutting the dividers down into shape and then reglueing the outer edge back onto the shortened dividers.

I have one for smaller individual infantry type miniatures, and the other tray is for larger miniatures. In order to prevent the minis form the top tray to fall out when I open the case, I added a foam divider, held in place by some repurposed shoelaces, which I simply push inbetween the foam and the case wall.

As long as you don't have too many large metal minis in the top lid, the laces and foam are perfectly up to the task of holding the minis in their place, even when opening and flipping open the case.

I actually use that particular case to carry miniatures for skirmish games or Bloodbowl for instance when going over to a mate's house for a game. Much easier to  handle than a full sized carry case!

And finally, here's a shot of the cases in use in a hotel room, earlier this year:

Back when I made these, a friend urged me to get my plans lasercut and sell them online. I still might, but with this, the cat's out of the bag, and I will probably never get around to do that anyway. So instead, I hope it will help you... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »

I absolutely love this!  :-*

I'm absolutely stealing this idea – thanks!  :)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 12:23:49 AM »
I stay away a lot. My problem with travelling with paints isn't the carrying of equipment. It's that the lighting in hotel rooms is so shit.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »
I stay away a lot. My problem with travelling with paints isn't the carrying of equipment. It's that the lighting in hotel rooms is so shit.

Absolutely. Last year, at one hotel, I had to paint in the bathroom, as there were really bright make-up lights all around the mirror, but only a couple of dim nightstand lights in the room... ::)

I have thought about getting me one or two portable LED lights, but haven't bothered so far though.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 10:15:37 AM »
Absolutely. Last year, at one hotel, I had to paint in the bathroom, as there were really bright make-up lights all around the mirror, but only a couple of dim nightstand lights in the room... ::)

I have thought about getting me one or two portable LED lights, but haven't bothered so far though.

Ive tried to get one of these a couple of times. But the company doesn't respond.

http://brandlin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/want-list.html#comment-form
"Available" apparently at modelmaq.es

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 12:28:11 PM »
Holy cow! That is one serious rig!

A bit too bulky and comprehensive for my needs, but a very nice piece of kit nonetheless.

It needs to always be kept right side up though, so no lying that case flat in an overhead storage compartment...

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »
Holy cow! That is one serious rig!

A bit too bulky and comprehensive for my needs, but a very nice piece of kit nonetheless.

It needs to always be kept right side up though, so no lying that case flat in an overhead storage compartment...

True, but I always assumed I would remake the innards.

In fact I went as far as to design my own. I had a parts list from Penn Elcom, and mine included lights a phone charger, built in speakers as well as paint racks and mini storage that could be turned up n down.  I really should finish things one day.