Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:21:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargaming Scale Millenium Falcon only $29  (Read 6776 times)

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
Wargaming Scale Millenium Falcon only $29
« on: December 13, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
I just saw on the Wal-Mart page that their exclusive 30-something-inch Millenium Falcon has dropped from $59 (what I paid for mine) to $29.  Not sure how long that'll last.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Rebels-Millennium-Falcon-Vehicle/38082550?sourceid=csesh01fe66ea19808e4aaf8cadb734253af2e3&wmlspartner=shoppingcom&affcmpid=3565555416&tmode=0000&bcfg=5dac85511e0af437bc607afef8a58aaa&veh=cse

Not only are the cockpit proportions right for the ship, but the whole thing is in scale with the Wizards of the Coast wargaming line. 

I was going to wait until I was further along with customizing mine before mentioning it here, but the price is probably temporary, so I thought it worth bringing to folks' attention.

Good on this model (which is what it is; no interiors for figures, etc): Scale, proportions, durability.

Bad:  It's made of a non-stick polypropelene, which means that if you want to paint it then you'll need to get an adhesion promoter spray at an auto-parts store (6 bucks)?  Also, can't use superglue.
Also, the sidewalls are just stickers/decals, so some kitbashing is required.  Still, if you've got Star Wars minis, this is a worthwhile thing to pick up as terrain, especially while it's so cheap.
Check out THE CROGAN ADVENTURES, a historical adventure graphic novel series available from your local bookstore or comic shop (or, of course, Amazon).  I make 'em.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Wargaming Scale Millenium Falcon only $29
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:53:05 AM »
I want one. Combine it with Imperial assault and you've got a nifty objective marker.
I am going ot a toy warehouse clearance today and thi is on my hunting list.
I think its Walmart exclusive.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:56:19 AM by beefcake »

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:29:18 AM »
Thank you for posting this.  I literally got up 30 minutes ago, went to my local Wal-Mart and bought this.  You are a scholar and a gentleman.  ;)
This is my boomstick!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 03:45:51 AM »
You have to post pics next to a 28mm fig! NOW!!!!!! Please  ;)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:41:14 AM »
It's not this one, is it? ;)

Offline mrgrigson

• Librarian
    • The Overloaded Queue
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
Check out http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73084.0 for some pics of this one. I just ordered mine on Monday (at full price) or I'd be really irritated that I missed out on this one completely.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 09:06:26 PM »
Would have loved to live near a WalMart (only this once)!  ;D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 08:26:31 AM »
Do we really need more threads about this?
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73084.0

(Ok, Britain, vs the States, but it'd be nice if we could keep shopping threads to a minimum and hobby threads to a max, it is after all why we are here)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »
The size is nice, but putting on my Pedantic-Star-Wars-Git-Hat®, I'd have to say that the proportions on the toys are always off, for obvious reasons. The cockpit area, for one, is huge compared to the original model, and it would bother me to no end.

That's why I have the Ertl model kit stashed away, to be built as a terrain piece for 28mm Star Wars games. Granted; it's too small (even though I also usually balk at wargaming buildings and terrain being proportionally tiny ::) ), but it does look a lot closer to the original. Taking off that ridiculous hat though, I have to say I'm also not bothered too much by not having every cable or greeble in the right place; it's just that the overall shape is most important.

I would also like to build an interior into it, and I know that I'll run into trouble there, (especially height-wise), but really, the biggest issue would be the size of the bases; they'll always be too big in the cramped confines of a (space)ship. but think those away, and the kit's size would be nigh acceptable.

The outside, I can accept to be slightly smaller in this case though, as my table space is not unlimited (if only I could Tardisify the kit :D )...

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »
Dijit, sorry!  The shortened version of "Millennium" in the post title and no wal-mart in the search made me miss the existing post. 

Daeothar, that's why this one was an exciting find.  It's not meant to hold any action figures, so the cockpit is to scale.  I've attached a couple photos to show scale.  And it's bare empty inside.  You have to unscrew it, and I'm not bothering, but if there's ever been a toy meant for a custom interior, it's this one - just two pieces of plastic, top and bottom.  You could certainly fudge screen details to make pathways game serviceable.

Only real scale issue is the radar dish, which is too big.  I grabbed one from an ertl model, along with a bunch of pieces to make the sidewalls.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »
Flap! :o

Then yours must be a different one from the one in the other thread, which does have an interior and some smallish figures if I recall correctly.

And combining an Ertl kit's details with the slightly larger toy is a great idea; it certainly looks good. It could be my fudged, sleep deprived mind, but the cockpit still looks a bit oversized but not too much, so I could live with such a slight transgression... ;)

I'm actually sort of disappointed now that there's no Walmart in Europe... :D

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 09:32:10 AM »
The Falcon in the other (my) thread ended up being the same Falcon as this thread.

I thought I was buying the playset, and spent about five minutes trying to prise the two halves apart before reality dawned :-[

However, it's still a very nice kit, so I'm quite happy I bought it :)

I got mine from Argos, so that's another place to check

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
Appears to no longer be $29. :(

Oh well. I'll check my local and see if the store has that price on it.

Size looks excellent to me. And if I can find it for the better price I'll get two, build the inside of one and turn the other into The Ebon Hawk.

~Eric

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 11:04:37 AM »
Found one (almost) locally for €74,-, and I'm now very tempted...  ::)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 02:18:59 PM »
the cockpit still looks a bit oversized but not too much, so I could live with such a slight transgression...

It's probably better to have a teeny bit big cockpit that scales well with 28mm and a slightly smaller model overall.  I was just looking at pictures of the Falcon from the movies and I think folks forget just how big it is.  A Properly sized Millennium falcon (my best estimate) would fill a 3x3 or bigger footprint. 

For something that's going to essentially be terrain, it's usually better to compress the dimensions a bit the dimensions a bit the same way wargamers do for virtually all of their terrain.