Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:17:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690922
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Songs of Drums and Stalemates  (Read 3795 times)

Offline sespe

• Librarian
Songs of Drums and Stalemates
« on: December 21, 2014, 04:07:40 AM »
Trying a heavy-points scenario in Songs of Drums and Tomahawks.  A British force supported by rangers and a couple riflemen are trying to cross a river.  2 groups of warriors don't want them to cross.

I made the river "dense" terrain without the cover modifier.  It's difficult to cross except at the ford (yes, I'm still working on terrain).  So far both sides just want to sit on the banks and bang away at each other.  With the cover and range, there's not a lot of damage happening.  One brave ranger tried to cross and was promptly gunned down.

So how do I break the stalemate?  There are 2 blinds on the far side of the table for the other half of the Indians, so I can't try a rush there.  My riflemen aren't providing the advantage I hoped for, what with everybody hiding behind rocks and trees and such...

Offline comet5

• Librarian
Re: Songs of Drums and Stalemates
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »
Sorry, I'm not familiar with these particular rules but have played other Songs of... rules.  I suggest that you ask this question on the very active Songs of Blades Yahoo group.  I was just reading a query regarding these rules there.

Alea Iacta Est

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »
My recommendation would be to have the regulars use a group move to rush across the ford in column. If they have enough movement (2 successes? Just eyeballing it, of course), come into contact with the Indians so they can't necessarily be shot on the next Indian turn. If you don't have enough move, head for the defile between the two clumps of woods and shelter there.

The rules he's talking about are the newest in the Song engine: Song of Drums and Tomahawks, set in the French & Indian War period (& more). Here are the links:

On Ganesha Games: http://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_51&products_id=267&osCsid=r1dkch5705si1kpu56jn25h5p5

On Wargame Vault: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/139714/Song-of-Drums-and-Tomahawks?affiliate_id=23711

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 07:06:04 PM »
Mike, we started in group march but I was dumb enough to split them up.  Instead of trying to form them, I moved as many as could up to the rocks.  They provided a base of fire while my rangers rushed the right side.  We now have a fierce hand-to-hand battle happening there.  The regulars have the ford, but the second Indian party is coming up hard on the left. 

One change I made from your suggested profiles:  I gave rangers "elan" instead of marksman.  Slightly more expensive but lets them operate further on the flanks in a more spread-out manner.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 08:00:28 PM »
One change I made from your suggested profiles:  I gave rangers "elan" instead of marksman.  Slightly more expensive but lets them operate further on the flanks in a more spread-out manner.

That is a great profile! Good suggestions. I hadn't thought as much about warbands purchased with some regulars and some rangers. I agree, that is a great way to represent their ability to move confidently about the battlefield, and on the flanks of the enemy...

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com